Kaspersky beta question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by L815, May 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L815

L815 Guest

Has anyone tried the new Kaspersky beta on Vista ? When I tried it a couple of weeks ago I had some problems with updating and components. At the time I couldn't find a solution on the main thread or at the Kas. forums.

I'm curious if there are some newer builds that won't give me those errors. I wanna give it a try real bad :ouch:

2. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

KIS 8.0.0.357 working great here with Vista Home Premium. No problems at all.

3. harlan4096

harlan4096 Registered Member

No problems here Windows Vista SP1 x86 + KIS 2009 8.0.0.357 TR.

Regards

4. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

We are on TR at the moment.
    If you have a look at the Kaspersky forum you'll find a lot of people who are using the latest version on Vista

5. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I ran KIS 8 RC for about a week. I liked it except for one thing. When I ran a full system scan, it kept detecting Acrobat Reader, saying it was a high risk. When I right clicked on it, the only info it would show was where the file was located. It showed that it was located in the temp folder. I cleaned all my temp files, ran the scan again, and again it detected Acrobat Reader. I guess this is what it called a false positive, but it was annoying to have KIS 8 detect Acrobat Reader every time I ran the scan. Because of this, I uninstalled KIS 8. I wasn't very happy with this new KIS's scan logging. KIS 7 is more informative.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its not a false possitive. its simply imforming you that acrobat reader is out of date and poses a secuirty risk. update to the lastest version of adobe acrobat reader and it wont appear again.
    once it comes out properly you will be able to view more information on the viruslist website.

7. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Iodore

You beat me to it. ;)

This is one where a number of user of KIS 2009 do not understand what the scan is reporting (I know as I got caught out by that one myself early on in the beta) but it is a useful feature and, Graystoke, if one does not want to upgrade to the latest version of the application highlighted as a vulnerability you can add it for exclusion/to be ignored by future scans.:D

8. harlan4096

Agree with Lodore, this new feature of KIS 2009 it's similar to Secunia PSI and I think it's quite interesting.

Regards.

9. ren

ren Registered Member

Hi,
    indeed, they use the secunia engine:D ;)

10. Graystoke

That's what it was. I updated Acrobat Reader, ran a scan, and it was no longer listed in the scan log. Not sure I really like that feature.

11. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

You can disable it by unticking "Signature scan of vulnerabilities" in the scan settings.

I personally quite like it. I am quite certain a lot of people are unaware their usual old software has great big huge security hole in them that is putting their safety at risk.... acrobat, java, office...the usual suspects.

Perhaps having a reminder from KIS would actually get people thinking about keeping their software up-to-date and therefore securing them better against potential attacks?

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

then again i just hope it doesnt prompt on like all my office programs on my xp machine since microsoft office update does not work on that pc.
    i even followed instuctions from MS and still no dice.
    so may have to turn off that detection on my xp machine.

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

KIS will not prompt you. That is the one outstanding feature.

14. Graystoke

After carefully weighing the facts, I've come to the conclusion that I like the vulnerability scanner. Hey, come on, a guy is entitled to change his mind. ;) :D

15. L815

L815 Guest

I ended up installing it again and got the same errors! This time the updates worked fine, but the Web traffic thing keeps giving me errors.
    When I try to repair it, it doesn't work T-T

16. harlan4096

You must have maybe some security products that are incompatible with KIS, so go to Beta KL forums and there You can find many people who will help You to fix the problem :) .

Regards.

17. fce

fce Registered Member

i like ver.8 or KIS2009!

i'm using vista and its work fine in my laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.