Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 (?)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SG1, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

At

http://usa.kaspersky.com/products/compare-products.php

re Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0, a paragraph states: " Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 is intended for users who already have antispam and anti-spyware protection installed on their computers. This product can be used as a standalone antivirus solution or as an addition to existing antivirus protection."

Concerning ..."or as an addition to existing antivirus protection," I'd like to know more on that. I thought AVs tend to get excited if they detect another AV on the system. This seems to imply otherwise. I'd guess that you'd have one active AV only, and the 2nd as on demand only; would that be your reading of the above statement?

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

SG1,

My read is basically the same as yours. Although one can often cajole and configure multiple AV's to coexist, it is not for the faint of heart or inexperienced. As general advice and a product positioning statement it is, simply put, an irresponsible statement by KL.

I have run into situations where the one active/one on-demand simply doesn't work, so while you'd think there is a solution, it's not a general one. Furthermore, on install, any AV will be active, and if you've neglected to deactivate that other product, your machine may (or may not) be put into a death spiral. Either way, for the novice user it is a recipe for problems.

Blue

3. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

To: BlueZannetti

Believe it or not, I for a time (perhaps in bliss/ignorance) had 3 real time AVs running... and it worked. * Can't say what may've happened if all three AVs had pounced at once on something, so...

Took off two AVs, as it seemed that there could've been problem with TrojanHunter suddenly not updating correctly; yet, oddly, seems in the end a file attribute was incorrectly set on a file in TH which may in turn have been the real culprit.

* However, don't think I'd try running two firewalls, even on a dare!

And, yes, in light of your comment/s, I'd tend to agree that Kl may've made a rather loose statement about their AV "as an addition to existing antivirus protection." May have to write them, and call them to task about that; see what they say, if anything.

Best, SG1 (Pat)

4. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

maybe if you install it like this it can coexist with other AV?

Attached Files:

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

sicko, you just made my day.:) :)

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

another possibility is if u had an AV without email or web scanner, u could use those functions from KAV. u could also just use the PDM and Anti-Spy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.