Kaspersky Anti-Hacker

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by juppy, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juppy

juppy Registered Member

Hi,
    As I am thinking of purchasing Kaspersky Ant-Hacker I was wondering if anyone has, tried, evaluated or got this software?

If you have what do you think of it?
    Is it a god package and can it do the job?
    How does it compare with other commercial packages.

Thanks for any advice or information.

2. Lisa

Lisa AV Expert

Hi Juppy,
    You are welcome to download a 30 day trial from

www.kasperskylab.co.uk/files/homeuser/kantihacker15.exe

We have just had a good review in the UK's PC Pro magazine in the April edition.

It is an easy to use firewall. Obviously I can't give you an unbiased opinion as I work for Kaspersky Lab ;)

Regards

Lisa
    KL UK

3. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

I tried it about 6 months ago and it was very easy to install and configure. Almost too easy for what I'm used too. The best thing you can do is try it and see where it fits in to your system security plan.

4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I use Kaspersky anti hacker along with a a couple of other firewalls. Not at the same time.

I find anti hacker to be a very good firewall and I recommend it to anyone who asks. It's stealth everywhere I've tested it. I've never bothered with leaktesting it, so can't comment on that, and I've never bothered leaktesting any of the firewalls I use.

AntiHacker is a firewall only, and doesn't pretend to try to be an all purpose piece of software and I think enough of it to trust my computer with its protection.

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Hi Juppy,

I tried KAH 1.5 a few months ago and was very favorably impressed with it.

Lisa/KL UK is right - it is very easy to setup and use. In terms of general functionality, I'd rate it on par with all the major commercial offerings for the bulk of users with a typical configuration. My definition of "typical" is a setup with a router handling the bulk of in-bound traffic with the software firewall focused on out-bound traffic monitoring and control. Once you get through a couple days of KAH's self-learning, it is transparent to any user.

I'd recommend you give it a serious look. I ended up going with Outpost Pro - the family pack 5 user license is hard to beat for a multi-PC home and it's also a nice option - but I do keep an eye on KAH mainly because KL has such a solid track record with their products (full diclosure - all my home PC's run KAV WS and my experiences with KAV (and KL for that matter) have been very favorable)

Blue

PS - I took a peek at the review Lisa mentioned, it's light on details (at least what I can access on the www) but it does mirror the overall impression that I have of KAH

6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Following up on CrazyM,

You could also check out these threads over at the ICE forums on Kaspersky AntiHacker:

KantiHacker

Kaspersky Anti-Hacker

There are a few other very short threads on KAH over at the ICE forums, but these two are a couple of the more extended discussions.

The following thread is a discussion of whether KAH (and KAV for that matter) internally protect themselves from various termination methods that could be implemented in malware

DiamondCS APT: Advanced Process Termination (APT)

Since much of the discussion out there on the comparative performance of various firewalls involves the application's ability to provide "stealth", one should examine these two threads over at DSLReports to assess whether this is really an operationally important issue (my personal opinion - it's not for home users, although there is seemingly more energy dissipated on this single topic than any other in discussions of firewall performance)

Closed vs Stealthed Ports

Stealthed vs. Closed - The Battle Continues

Blue

8. hokhost

hokhost Registered Member

Pros:
    - I find KAH 1.5.92.0 pretty light on ressources 1.3Mo.
    - Really easy to use.

Cons :
    - Good for personal computers but no settings for networks.
    - There are others good free firewalls.

9. kaspyuser

kaspyuser Guest

The newest version is 1.5.119.Just thought everyone would like to know ;)

10. hokhost

hokhost Registered Member

Hum ... thx ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.