Kaspersky and firefox

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by the insider, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the insider

the insider Registered Member

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how I can activate the automatic screening of files I download with firefox? I use a download extension in firefox (name I forgot) which allows me to scan EVERY file I download. With NOD32 I was able to identify the file in the direcory in order to start the scan automatically after the download was terminated. In the Kaspersky directory I can't find any such file which has to be selected in order to perform such a scan.
    o_O

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Try selecting the avp32.exe file in the KAV directory and if that does not work, try putting the parameters /S "%s" along with the avp32.exe file. :)

3. the insider

thx : i'll try this tonight ! BTW do you like the new Kaspersky Internet Security 6 ? It found 2 ZLOB trojans and apparently NOD didn't ....

4. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

5. Firecat

Although I do like KAV and the suite, it is far too costly for me, since I'm a student. If Kaspersky becomes more relaxing on pricing, I may buy it, or else I'll need to settle for clones. :doubt:

But, at the moment I'm quite happy with NOD32 and BitDefender. :)

Edit: NOD32 does detect all the Zlobs, and I noticed that Dr.Web and BitDefender are also adding these Zlobs, though the signatures are added quite late.

6. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

KAV is pretty reasonable if you go through the reseller route.
    KAV6 can be had for $25, and KIS6 for $35 (courtesy of Newegg).

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You sure :doubt:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=780104#post780104

8. the insider

sorry I was in a panic because this never happened before ... I'l try to stay calm! sorry again !!!:D

9. Firecat

Don't worry about it. :)

Did you get to activate automatic scanning of downloaded files in Firefox? Do tell me, as this info could be very useful for a lot of people. :)

10. the insider

I'm not sure ! Do i have to see anything o_O It (download statusbar it's called) downloads but than it ends .... no indication that the file was indeed scanned.
    Maybe I did something wrong? I assumed that the AVP.exe file is the one with the icon in the directory?
    One question left : is there any white space between these caracters o_Oo_O

11. Firecat

The filename is avp32.exe - Do you see a file named avp32?

And yes, there is a space between these characters.

To test it, you can download the EICAR AntiVirus Test file at http://www.eicar.com/anti_virus_test_file.htm

But I don't think the automatic scanning through Firefox is needed if you have KAV, since KAV 6.0 has a HTTP scanner which will block the infected downloads anyway. This would only be useful for KAV clones which do not have the HTTP scanner. :)

12. .....

..... Registered Member

The name of the scanner in KAV is called "avp.exe" (not avp32.exe). If you read the KAV helpfile it will tell you about command line parameters. Searching on the KAV forums will bring you some details about command line options too.

13. Firecat

Perhaps the link I read was outdated since it said avp32.exe. :doubt:

14. .....

..... Registered Member

Must be.

KAV 6 has always used the file name avp.exe (and avp.com for command line scanning, although using avp.exe is fine too). I would think the link you read was for a version before KAV5 (and well before KAV6).

The command line options are quite different in KAV6, but its been a while since i used it, so can't remember many. I think something like "avp.exe SCAN" scans all files on all volumes with default settings if i remember correctly.

15. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

you dont need the firefox's extension to scan every file you download... Kaspersky's webAV scans all the files you download from the internet automaticaly... it scans for viruses and scripts before its downloaded, so you dont need the FF plugin... the plugin and webAV does the same job. Also, when you open the file you downloaded, it'll automaticaly scan the file, so you wont get infected anyway.

16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That only works if you are willing to have your broadband connection reduced to ONE-THIRD of what you pay for and usually have. No one on broadband should use web scan from Kaspersky or from NOD32 (it kills your speed also).

The proper way is to right click on the file you downloaded in Download Manager, then click on "Open Containing Folder". That will take you to the file in your Downloaded Programs folder. You then right click on the file and choose "scan for viruses".

17. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

although i have BB, i still get my full d/l speed with KIS. also, when you open ne file on ur PC (inc the one you downloaded), it'l get scanned by your AV anyway, be it Kaspersky or NOD

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

but if your a student you can get 50percent off nod

19. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

What exactly has this got to do with the threads topic "Kaspersky and firefox".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.