Kaspersky 7 still has major issues

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajcstr

ajcstr Registered Member

Oh Right - Zone alarm uses Kaspersky now also. I would imagine it would have affected IOLO also because they used Kaspersky - not sure if they still do or not.

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

ZA 7.0 does not use the iSwift technology only the engine, so that muddies the water if true that ZA is "affected"...:)

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Kapti

Does ZASS, have the Iswift option. If it doesn't then it's harder to lay the problem at Kaspersky vs maybe a chkdsk problem. Maybe Don can shed some light, but I don't think it's the KAV engine that uses Iswift. The shell program using Iswift determine which files need to be scanned and then they are passed to the engine. On the other hand if ZA can also license the Iswift stuff then maybe.

Pete

Oops. See Don already did.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

This is a bit over the top. Obviously the person writing the help file made a mistake. But can you prove it was done deliberately. Deliberate is a very strong word. If you were to ask Dell about Bartpe, assuming they even know what it is, if they said sure it should run, would that be a deliberate lie. Probably more likely an uninformed techie. Same thing Mele with the order problem with you had with Dell. Infuriating, yes, frustrating, yes, organizationall incompetence, yes, but a deliberate action, probably not.

Also everyone assume's it's KAV, when it could well be a chkdsk issue, and a microsoft problem. The assumption is that Kaspersky is guilty and it covering it up. But unless one knows what is going on behind the scenes, that might be a bit of a rash judgement. I've learned that when companies have to interact with Microsoft, things can get complicated.

Pete

5. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Pete,
    I think something you may not be realizing is it is not a matter of people running chkdsk that is the problem, it is the OS running chkdsk during restarts. It usually was not selected to be run by the user. That is where the implication that damage to the OS was being done by KAV.

6. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

no, that IS the "issue". people run chkdsk and it hangs at stage 2 for a long time (verifing indexes)

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

they are both the issue,

kaspersky hangs on stage 2,
    kaspersky makes windows run the chkdsk

8. flyrfan111

No, as a former user of the product, chkdsk would run on restart automatically, I did not select to run it.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep i can confirm,

i never ever run chkdsk and windows never runs it automatically for me, yet in the 'very short time' i tried kaspersky, it ran quite a few times on reboots, AND it does hang on stage 2.

so both issues = chkdsk problem, that people talk about.

:rolleyes:

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi chris,
    kaspersky hasnt made windows do a chkdisc after i installed kis6.0 MP2
    the older builds made windows do a chkdisc about once every few weeks.
    lodore

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I guess I have not understood what has been said. I have never had chkdsk run unless I designated it to do so. I have only had experience with KAV 6 and 7.

Jerry

12. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

I've used Kaspersky since version 5; it has never ever asked for a chkdsk-reboot.

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I agree. Anyone who thinks there is a issue with Kaspersky is just crazy. Who is the dumb ass that started this thread any hew.:rolleyes:

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

there is an issue, the 2 mentioned above.

i doubt kaspersky will sort it,

to me it seems they would rather compromise my HD-health just to have a quicker scan speed, windows would not need to do these checks on reboot if it wasnt doing something to my HD which my computer does not like.

many people dont get the issue, but to say its not there is just bullshit,

but also, many... like BOTH my laptops, do get the issue.

15. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Don, After I removed KISS by restoring an image made before KISS was installed, I installed ZASS trial to see if the problem still happened. It did, at least the delay at stage 2 was still apparent after doing a full scan. I also did the same with AVS and after doing a full scan chkdsk hung at stage 2 just the same. (Talking of a delay around the five minute mark).
    Now, if as you say these programmes don't use iSwift then there must be another reason with Kaspersky that is causing the chkdsk stage 2 delay.
    After installing both ZASS and AVS and seeing that the problem was still there I recovered using an ATI image, chkdsk then ran correctly without any delay at stage 2.
    I don't have the knowledge, or expertise, to trouble shoot the problem, but maybe others that have the problem with KAV or KISS could try out ZASS and AVS to see what results they get?
    If I could just get KISS to work on my computer without the stage 2 delay, and was convinced that Kaspersky wasn't causing a potential threat to my files, I would be a very happy camper and would reinstall the software again.

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Ok Chris, all kidding aside, I hear you. But from a dumb ass viewpoint, I never had ever even ran a chkdsk or whatever the hell it is. So my question is, why and when do you run it..... I am not being rude just trying to understand. And if all this is for real, why hasn't anyone contacted a lawyer for start of a class action lawsuit. You cant tell me that if an abundant number of computers have been screwed, that some New York lawyer wouldn't have run a ad in the paper by now, enticing complainants for a suit involving Kaspersky and Microsoft.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  17. Don Pelotas

If you didn't format your HD, then of course it will still be there according to what some have said.

I have the stage 2 delay and have used 6.0/7.0 through 100 builds (including the beta builds of course) over two years and have never seen anything beyond that stage 2 delay, in my case it is a non issue. :)

18. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

There was no need to format. I used an Acronis image file made prior to the installation of Kaspersky to recover from. As far as the hard drive is concerned once the recovery was made using ATI it's as if Kaspersky had never been installed in the first place.

19. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Just out of interest, did you see it run and were there logs available after this? I've scanned my disk for chkdsk and only see the executable with no record of the chkdsk.log anywhere. (I assume it creates the .log after it runs.)

20. flyrfan111

Chkdsk should create an entry in the windows log, in XP this is viewed using event veiwer available under administratvie tools. It should be in the application section with the title winlogon.

21. Don Pelotas

Then again, the water is a bit muddied because ZA does not use iSwift....neither does Online Armour to my knowledge, does that also exhibit the same?

22. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Isn't Chkdsk that ancient DOS command to scan the hard drive for defects? I just ran it from the DOS command prompt and it indicated that some kind of orphan file was recovered and some kind of bitmap attribute had to be fixed. o_O I stopped using it since the Windows 3.11/DOS 6.2 days. But that would be odd for a AV to invoke an internal drive scan operation since that should an OS function ONLY.

23. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Just for the fun of it, I just restarted Windows XP, 10.30pm UK time. No visible signs of chkdsk running here, no chkdsk.log either, and not even an entry for winlogon. In fact, the last entry for that on my machine was May 22, and that was because "the shell stopped unexpectedly and Explore.exe restarted".

Screenshot of part of current Application section:

Attached Files:

24. flyrfan111

As it has been said, the majority of people don't have the issue.

25. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Can't answer for Online Armour. As for ZASS using iSwift I gave my views to you in my previous message.

What I find strange is the absence of a Kaspersky spokesperson in this, and the other forum debates (apart from you that is:) ) I would have thought that by this stage someone from Kaspersky would be in repair mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.