Kaspersky 7 - do I need AVH AS and SAS as well

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ChrisP, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Hi, I have previously used an old version of F-Secure but have now changed to Kaspersky 7 (trial at moment, but looks good, so will register). I have AVG Anti-Spyware and Superantispyware installed as well - but do I need these as Kaspersky has options enabled to detect malware and riskware etc.

Opinions please.

Cheers,

Chris

2. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

You'll find that the majority opinion here regarding security is to use a layered approach. That being said, if you're running the pro version of SAS, I would keep that going along with KAV. Use AVG's product for on demand scanning.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Chris,

Short answer - and to me it's really not specific to KAV but any solid general antimalware program - probably not if I focus on the word "need". Either/both are good as an infrequent on-demand check and I'd keep them for that if I owned them.

Blue

4. fce

fce Registered Member

if you got KIS....you don't need anti-spyware/anti malware/anti rootkit.

it will just create conflict in the long run and PC slowdown.

5. dNor

dNor Registered Member

Personally I wouldn't recommend having either as real-time along with KIS7. Using them on-demand will provide additional security and KIS's protection is adequate.

6. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Completely agree. KIS & is my main layer and I use other products for on demand/back up scans, etc.

7. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

KAV/KIS is indeed comprehensive protection from malware. However, as we all know, there is no end all / be all security software. If SAS Pro (preferably!) or AVG A/S is available to be run with a Kaspersky product, I say run it!

8. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

You'll find a lot of people on the Kaspersky forums recommending SAS. ;) Since SAS has virtually zero impact on system performance the pro version will co-exist with Kaspersky in real-time without bogging you down. FWIW I run KIS 7 & SAS Pro on my fiancee's pc and have zero complaints.

9. starter15

starter15 Registered Member

havnt gotten any spyware since installing kis7. id say just get rid of the other ones.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

if KIS is installed, id recommend to not use anything else.

avoid clutter, price, hassle and conflictions by keeping away from other software if this is what you have installed.

11. EliteKiller

That's not saying a whole lot. Since we don't know your surfing habits or level of competency, it's entirely possible that without Kaspersky (or other security app) you'd still have a clean pc. SAS compliments any AV package, and in my experience while servicing hosed pc's I can firmly say that SAS picks out malware that was undetected by Kaspersky.

Don't the two apps in your sig overlap? :p

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no, because they are not the same.

also, this is not about my setup, its about Kaspersky and nothing else is needed, simple fact.

13. EliteKiller

I never said they were the same, but the two do overlap. The simple fact is that you're voicing an opinion like everyone else. When is the last time that you've actually cleaned a hosed pc? I think it's pretty obvious.....

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i shall do no such thing :)

15. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

If you're sensible and browse normally Kis is more than adequate,if on the other hand you're the type that visits "dodgy" sites or the type that likes to "find the limits" of their AV(or other anti-malware software)its sensible to have other products on hand"just in case"
    The majority of infections is caused by either stupidity or ignorance,the latter shouldn't be a problem to you otherwise you wouldn't be here!

16. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Some personal banter has been removed. Please take your issues and personal comments to Private Message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.