Kaspersky 6.0 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by The Hammer, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

2. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That is very confusing. It isn't listed among the top 10 and NIS is "best buy" yet there is that postive review. Weird.

I would have to agree that KIS and KAV's strange GUI will lose them sales. I can't find anything in KAV and had the same problem when beta testing KIS 2006. The GUI, like NOD's, is totally counter intuitive and extremely frustrating to use. The GUI for NIS, McAfee and Trend Micro are all fantastic and very easy to use and very intuitive. Since the GUI is a major reason for what software you choose.....

3. .....

..... Registered Member

Uhm.. they don't know how to use the application! Network settings is reference to web av/ mail av/ anti-banner etc....

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I assume the reason it's not listed in the top ten security suites review is because it's beta software as opposed to finished product,

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  5. izi

izi Registered Member

Really. Major reason is detection rate!!!

6. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

What's so hard to find in KAV6? Seems pretty simple and straight forward once you get familiar with it, takes all of 3 minutes.
    I recall you posting in another thread that KAV settings had been "dumbed down".

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I agree with Mele that neither KAV or NOD has user a friendly interface. Everytime I want to do change setting in KAV 6 it seems that I almost have to start from scratch. Or maybe I should say that I do a lot of searching.

I personally know almost no one who will go to much trouble to learn much about his AV. The vast majority want to install and forget it. That is one reason that most of them use AVG free.

Jerry

8. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

The default settings in KAV6 are pretty much set and forget. Can't speak for KIS6.
    But I see your point about most users will not take the time to explore the GUI settings and you are right.

9. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Thought about it, removed it. :)

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  10. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Jerry, the default settings in 6.0 are what most users should use anyway, which means you do not have to do much else than install it and run a scan, it will do the rest from then on, unless you have some specific issue, maybe i'm too used to it, but is these settings really that difficult?:)

Attached Files:

• 26.png
      26.png
      File size:
      26.7 KB
      Views:
  11. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

true...

the only thing i changed are the alert settings... i like to be notified after every successful update...:D :D

about KAV6 GUI: it looks good actually, a major improvement over version 4 and 5...

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Don,
    Where I have a problem is when I want to put something in a safe zone or ignore. I have done it once, but can't find it again.

As for routine operation I agree that it is pretty much default, with a few changes that I learned on the Kaspersky forum or here.

Regards,
    Jerry

13. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Trusted zone, it's in the screenshot.;)

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, I saw it after I posted. I was hoping that you forgot that it was in the screen shot.:D :D

Jerry

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Well, that is the problem. I would never use KAV or NOD32 at default settings! (I agree that Blackspear's tutorial is very needed and excellent). KAV 4.5 had the best GUI except the font was so tiny that I got a headache trying to interact with it. It had extremely detailed settings though so I could set KAV exactly as I wanted it. Then KAV 5 had a much better size font and I could read it easily but it dumbed down the settings drastically. KAV 6 has more choices than 5 but has gone back to the tiny font. My eyes burn and sting anytime I have to interact with it so I avoid looking at the GUI and that is certainly not ideal.

I don't think I have ever used an AV (even my first - McAfee 4.2) at default settings. I wish KAV would give us the detailed choices of 4.5 with a bigger font and then I would be happier. But none of the KAV GUIs or NOD32 from version 1 have been easy to use. The easiest GUI to use is Norton (at least it used to be, I haven't used the last two Norton versions) and Trend Micro at a close second.

Even with having beta tested KIS, I still can't find settings in KAV. For instance, how could anyone be expected to know that the settings for file protection are found by double clicking on the words "protection: running" in the center instead of the more logical clicking on "Protection" in the left column? KAV is full of things like this and is so confusing that I can't remember after I find something once where is it the next time I want to find it if more than a few days have passed. I had a terrible time figuring out back the first of May how to put in a new key (talk about hidden!). Then KAV told me not to do it until the beta expired. I was gone for three weeks in May. When I got back, the beta was expired and I had no recollection of how to enter the key. I went through the same struggle from earlier trying to figure it out. The KAV help file is misleading in some areas as it tells you to do something that is not there in the current GUI ...I guess the help file has not been fully updated.

Hmmm...what did KAV just install? I see a notice to restart my computer. Why didn't KAV pop up a notice to restart the computer? I saw the request only because I clicked on the tray icon when writing this post. Normally, I would not do that and would not know I needed to restart the computer. That is not good! There should be a popup! I just read the help file and I can't find anything about how to configure KAV to give me a popup when it updates and requires a reboot. :( Plus, I see nothing about how long can I wait before rebooting and am I protected before rebooting? For instance, right now I have 35 tabs open in Firefox and six tabs open in SeaMonkey, Outlook Express is open and I am composing an email, and I have two virtual machines up and running. I also have Ping Plotter Pro running to six targets. To reboot right now is a major pain in the rear end. So, do I really need to reboot now or can it wait? Some applications that install updates and require a reboot get all messed up if you don't reboot right away...others don't. Where does KAV fall in this area?

16. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Mele20
    Maybe KAV6 is just not meant for you.:rolleyes:

17. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Or set the updates to manual.

18. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Notifications here.

Attached Files:

19. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

And here.

Attached Files:

20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

What is "Disable external service control?"
    I note that mine is not checked.

Thanks,
    Jerry

21. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thanks. I had not noticed that before. So, it is "update completion" that needs to be checked? Mine isn't checked for "balloon" but is for email and sound but I don't use my speakers unless listening to music. Is the sound a Windows sound that I would hear even with the speakers turned off? As for the balloon, I won't ever see that even if I check the box. One of the first things I do with a new installation of XP, or a new computer, is edit the registry to disable balloons. The problem is that Microsoft makes it so that balloons are all or nothing. You cannot simply disable some and leave others enabled. If you don't disable balloons, you are constantly bombarded by them. So, I have no choice but to disable all balloons since I can't just disable the annoying ones.

I had this same problem with ProcessGuard. Wayne fixed that for the latest version mostly because I asked him to but unfortunately the latest drivers for my nVidia card put a big hole in PG so I haven't been able to enjoy the changes regarding balloon notifications. I think since Microsoft has never fixed it so that one can choose which balloons to allow and which not to allow that venders should offer an alternative method such as a pop-up or having the tray icon change colors, etc.

What does the email notification mean? Should I have an email waiting (since the box is checked) telling me I need to reboot?

Attached Files:

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

People are weird. If KAV interface is weird, than what's normal!? Plz don't say Norton... Coz having same interface for whole decade with minor corrections doesn't automatically make it a synonime for interface design.
    And honestly KAV6 interface is among the best i've seen so far.
    Nicely organized, not cluttered and easy to use. And when i say that about interfaces i'm usually right (i'm kinda interface guru and stuff).
    I'm of course talking about KAV6 not KIS6! Though there are general similarities, Anti-Hacker module can be a bit to advanced for regular users. But thats just 1 thing among bunch of other good stuff.

23. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I know what you mean about those irritating microsoft balloons.As far as the email notifications, haven't enabled them so can't help ya there.Give it a try.Maybe it gives you more detail than the balloon.

24. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I'm not alone in not getting a pop-up. There is a thread about it at the KAV forum. Evidently, we all should have gotten a pop-up (not a balloon) and no one did. I believe what I should have gotten (and it has nothing to do with how I have the notification settings) is a pop-up like the one I see on boot that tells me I need to run a full scan or the ones I get for ProActive Defense. So, I don't think now that what I should have gotten would be affected by my disabling balloons in the registry as it would have been a popup in the lower right corner of screen. Now I am puzzled though by what the settings for notification really do.

I feel better though knowing that others too didn't get a popup about the need to reboot.

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=15275&st=0&p=124923&#entry124923

25. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I guess I have to disappoint you. :D I love the "non-changing" Norton GUI. I also really like the Trend Micro one (at least from a couple of years ago) because it is the closest to the Norton GUI. McAfee's is different but I also like it probably because my first AV was McAfee 4.2 so I learned on a McAfee GUI. I also like the Bit Defender GUI. It is easy to use but not as easy as Norton's. F-Prot is good but it is so simple an AV that it would difficult to mess up its GUI. I found Avast and AVG (when I tried them about two years ago) to be messy but not particularly confusing. F-Secure's was easy to use as was Panda's and others I have tried. The only two GUIs I really find difficult are NOD32 and KAV. Wouldn't you know....the best AV have the worse GUIs. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.