Kaspersky 4.5 is supported?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by c0ltran3, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

KAV 5 is too heavy for my PC. Kaspersky 4.5 is supported? Is there any link where I can buy Kaspersky 4.5 and have definitions update for one year?
    Thanks

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

3. Blackcat

4. c0ltran3

5. Blackcat

Good find, but sad to see AVP 3.5 put out to grass :'(

Hope everything works out ;)

PS Are you still using Dr Web?

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I continue to get daily updates for 4.5. I continue to get conflicting information about whether the scanning/detection capabilities are the same between 4.5 and 5.0. Information on this forum indicates it is. Replies to my inquires on kav.useice.com, indicate that 5.0's is better. I really have no idea which is correct. It seems almost all of the information I get about KAV is conflicting. First I was told that 4.5 Personal was no longer available (so I puchased Pro), and recently I was told it still is available. And the information I get about ADS is also all over the place. Totally Getting rid of them, after installing 5.0 Pro, eventually required an image restore.

So I have just given up trying to get accurate information about KAV (I don't think it exists) and just update KAV 4.5 once a day - and learned to be satisified with having an excellent AV on my system. KAV marketing, support, new upgrades - I try not to think about them anymore. If 6.0 is equally chaotic, I may relook McAfee which is moving toward daily updates for their consumers. Hopefully, they also make the corporate edition available to consumers.

Rich

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  7. c0ltran3

Blackcat your excellent memory is a pleasant surprise to me.
    I don't use Dr Web now because I downloaded the new version but I can't download virus database and then update the program even if I bought the program.
    Now I've been using a six mont trial of eScan, but I'm not satisfied with this AV.

To Richfl : I completely agree with about v. 4.5 and 5 of kaspersky.

8. Blackcat

And an even bigger surprise to me sometimes :D
    o_O o_O

9. Blackcat

A nice thought, but highly unlikely.

Only the best is reserved for the Corporate edition, whose main customers demand a lean and stable AV product.

10. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Too bad. I really don't like McAfee's consumer version at all. Hopefully the new KAV 6.0 is a good release that maintains Kaspersky's is leadership role.

Rich

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I don't like McAfee's consumer version either. But it is the consumer who is to blame for vendors providing such poor versions for the home market. Only when enough home users complain to the vendors will anything change. Since most consumers don't even have the vaguest idea about AV products, sadly, we will probably continue to see these poor versions foisted on users. For me, this rules out McAfee and Norton as choices and even Trend Micro, etc. because all these have poor consumer versions and far better corporate versions that I can't get.

Kaspersky had a winner with 4.5 and then came up with a disaster when it decided to enter the OEM market with 5.0 personal. So, it is not just certain vendors ....all vendors wishing to compete in the OEM market will tend to offer disastrous versions of their product because they dumb way down and add a bunch of junk thinking that is what the average home computer user wants. This puts those of us who are home users but knowledgeable in a real bind. We know what the better versions are but mostly those are for corporate use only so we suffer. The average home user is oblivious to all this and is happy with whatever comes on their new computer.

12. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Mele,

I am not sure whether KAV 5.0 was "dumbed down" or just plain dumb. Inconsistent interfaces, ludicrous product differentiation (between Personal and Pro), hidden ADS (which couldn't be shut off), and lots of bugs that they are still trying to fix even while they have gone off to build 6.0. Me thinks they were drinking too much when they designed and built this product.

As for McAfee, it looks like they have had plenty of feedback, but they choose to ignore all of it. It usually happens when there is a marketing/executive management team that is disconnected from their user base (in this case the home consumer). In my career, I have had the chance to work with many software companies, and it is very common to have a management team that simply cannot react to the marketplace. The team just gets stubborn about it and digs in. As a result, the company and user base suffer. Very unfortunate .. but common.

With that said, I agree with you completely that KAV is 4.5. is an excellent product for what it is meant to do, which means that Kaspersky is capable of creating good products for the consumer market. The interface really just requires a tweeking - not an overhaul as they tried to do with 5.0. It is really quite usable. I hope that they get back on track with 6.0 and simply build an excellent AV that can be recommended to any user without reservations.

Rich

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I agree with your observations. But I understood the reason for the "overhaul" vs "tweaking" that was 5.0 personal was solely for the purpose of Kaspersky entering the OEM market. My only quarrel with 4.5 was the tiny font in the GUI that I couldn't change. I got a real headache trying to read anything and because it was so configurable, I needed to be able to read at length! But what was needed (throwing aside the idea of making the product desirable for OEMs) was to mostly fix the poor 4.5 GUI but retain the great configurability for those who wanted that yet have that GUI offer a default config that was a good one and not confusing. In other words perhaps try to please both the OEM who is looking for a dumbed down product and the users like us. Plus, things like the awful logs and some other aspects in the GUI needed fixing.

And why Kaspersky decided to thrust that awful ADS on us is beyond my understanding. Plus, that feature was poorly tested as nothing was uncovered evidently in beta regarding the system restore severe fragmentation issue if using 5.0 and system restore particularly if system restore was set at maximum size.

I too am watching 6.0 develop and I hope it will be a lot like 4.5 but with a much better GUI and some needed tweaking. If I am going to spend money on purchasing KAV, I'd like to buy the latest version rather than searching around to find where to buy 4.5 and wondering how long it will continue to be supported. I think Kaspersky will see a lot of increase in sales if 6.0 is what so many of us are hoping it will be.

14. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Mele,

I agree. There is nothing like an "unconditional recommendation" from one user to another. Unfortunately, 4.5 has lots of "buts" right now (e.g. where to buy it?, is the engine is up-to-date?, how long it will be supported?, etc.) and 5.0, in my view, is simply not a product I can recommend under any circumstances, given that my own experiences with it were so poor. Keeping my fingers crossed for 6.0.

Rich

15. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Rich, what is your Freudian complex with Kaspersky and drinking?

16. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I'm going back to read my Freud and get back to you when I have the answer. :)

Rich

17. Patrician

Patrician Guest

So what about one of the KAV powered AV;s out there? AVK is excelent, as is F-Secure. Don't like KAV's latest version? Buy, a KAV powered AV.

18. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Patrician,

A very good idea for new users. I personally have never used other KAV powered products so I cannot comment on how they compare to KAV. I really purchased KAV with the idea of ultimately migrating to 5.0 when the sand settled. Unfortunately, I did not expect quicksand.

As long as 4.5 is being supported, I am very satisified. If KAV 4.5 ceases to be supported, and 6.0 looks anything like 5.0 (which apparently it won't), I will definitely look at the other KAV-powered products that you recommended. In the meantime, all is kewl on my system.

Rich

19. SSK

SSK Registered Member

OK. Love to hear your analysis :D

20. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, the KAV based AV's are *mostly* based on KAV 4.x engine, so their support lifecycle is pretty much the same as KAV 4.x y'know....

While GDATA AVK offers free upgrade to latest version (so you can get latest KAV engine too), others dont, therefore you're stuck with the engine that came with it.....

Just my thoughts.

21. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks for the additional info Firecat. I will keep it in mind when my current license expires.

Rich

22. Blackcat

The KAV engines are included in the signature updates. So everytime you update the signatures you also update the engine.

But what you don't get with some of these KAV clones are program version updates, which fix bugs etc or incorporate new features ;)

23. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Blackcat,

Thanks for the clarification.

Rich

24. c0ltran3

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  25. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

You can download 4.5 personal trial here.
    http://www.soft32.com/download_921.html and you can buy it from them for $41.50. You may get a key for 5.0 but that doesn't matter. It will work on 4.5 also.

Even better you can buy a key for Kaspersky AV from ICE Systems (the USA distributor) for $39.43. You can use the key on 4.5 or 5.0. You just tell ICE which you want. This is cheaper than the one above and you get a year's support (free phone if in the USA, email and the forum) which is excellent. I contacted ICE today to make sure you can get 4.5 personal from them. I just heard back. Very fast response! At their website, it may look like you are purchasing 5.0 personal but actually I was told all you are doing is purchasing the key and you tell ICE, after the purchase, which version you want them to give you the download link for.
    http://store.ice-kav.com/

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.