Kaspersky Latest Release

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Minimalist, Aug 14, 2020.

1. loungehake

loungehake Registered Member

The computer is a battery-less Toshiba Satellite Pro P200 4GB RAM T5550 1.83GHz Intel Core2 Duo.

I always ensure that Windows 10 connectiion metering is turned off. Windows 10 on the relevant PC is definitely set that way. I can confirm that I adjusted Cost Aware Networking to ignore metering.

Updates on either Windows 10 or 7 seem very reluctant just after startup using Automatic scheduling.

I have now reverted to Avast free 21.11 and the effect of a fresh installation is very good performance of the whole system, as good as Kaspersky Security Cloud in fact.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  2. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Anyone submitted suspicious files to KL via Opentip website? I've sent a file 3 times in the past two weeks and no confirmation of receiving the file or it being added to the database.

3. harlan4096

harlan4096 Registered Member

Did You upload them being logged in KOTIP with Your MyKaspersky user/pass?

4. 3x0gR13N

Good point, will try. Although they were very quick in the past without being logged in...

5. harlan4096

I sent today a sample, and They replied me... but many users say I'm tagged as VIP there, and that's why They always reply me

6. 3x0gR13N

The weird thing is I didn't even get an automated reply about a received sample pending analysis.

7. harlan4096

Yes, many users complain about the same...

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I have six days of my KSC subscription left and after two weeks of pop ups they decided I haven't acted fast enough for them so they've turned my tray icon bright red. I intend to add a new license soon but I don't get why they push to renew so hard. If the license expires it turns into the free version doesn't it?

9. aztony

aztony Registered Member

To ensure your business stays put and to deny the competition any chance to acquire said business.

10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

That method won't work with me.

11. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

It's called loss of market share. All the paid AVs are struggling to keep subscribers and well they should. MS Defender will put most of them out of business within a few more years.

12. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I agree with you, but at the same time it’s sad if this happens. Competition has always been good for development.

13. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I expect that to be the case but I am greatly surprised that when you consider all of the lawsuits back in the Internet Explorer days that there haven't been any notable suits over this.

14. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Why it should have any suit over that? It is not like Microsoft is denying third-party security installations in Windows, they are being put out of business because people dont want to pay for mediocre solutions that fails to compete with the free native solution of Windows.

Microsoft has all the freedom and bests interests to protect its operating system and I really glad that it choose to do so, people are safer than ever in despite of how much criminals are out there.

15. xxJackxx

Exactly, you answered your own question. This is the same as the IE situation from the 90s. Why pay $40 for Netscape Navigator when IE is already on the PC? I'm not saying I feel strongly about it either way, I use what I use. But from a legal standpoint based on previous precedent, I expect at some point we will be seeing at least one vendor suing them.

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I agree that Microsoft has done the right thing by adding Defender to Windows. I wouldn't broadly characterize third party security solutions as mediocre though. There's good stuff out there and third party AVs can compete by adding features/value above what comes in Defender. The challenge for third party AVs is effectively differentiating themselves.

17. xxJackxx

Agreed and I feel that most vendors are actually moving the wrong direction there. As they simplify the UI and remove features that's not how they should be competing with free products. Most products are effective enough these days. Why would someone pay for something that doesn't do anything beyond what the free one does.

18. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes that's true. Monopoly was never good for users and I don't believe that one player will take whole AV market. Small players will probably disappear or be bought by big players, but those will stay in business. After all they are still increasing revenue year by year so they would be insane to stop their business now.

19. imdb

imdb Registered Member

yeah, but not all of them were acquired by big names in the market. some of them ceased their operations, renamed/rebranded their business and shifted to a different industry, mind you.

20. Nightwalker

Not all third party security solutions are mediocre, Bitdefender, Emsisoft, ESET, F-Secure and Kaspersky for example are pretty damn good, WiseVector StopX too.

21. Nightwalker

It isnt the same, not even close, but yeah, some vendors like Kaspersky already tried that route.

https://www.eteknix.com/kaspersky-asks-eu-investigate-microsoft-anti-virus-monopoly/

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/microsoft-dodges-antitrust-threat-windows-115713066.html

22. Bunkhouse Buck

I am a real life financial trader and economist that detests any monopolist, but Microsoft should be praised for creating a product that is on par (or better in some cases) than their competitors. They simply improved their protection an incredible amount over the last few years.

If some new malware comes aboard that Defender cannot handle well, that may possibly open the door once more for the competition, but that remains to be seen. Right now because of the AV price, Microsoft has a huge edge in the marketplace.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  23. Nightwalker

I think Microsoft has all the rights to protect its system and it should be praised for raising the bar so much for native protection, nowadays because of that we dont see malware infections everywhere like the old times, it is so rare to me to find a modern Windows infected while in the past it was the norm.

I dont see this situation as a monopoly, for me it is Microsoft assuming responsibility for a market full of flaws, for example how many machines were infected in the past because of expired Nortons and McAfees pre installed?

24. Bunkhouse Buck

We don't disagree. I did not mean they are a literal coercive monopoly in a negative sense, I meant they may be the only AV provider down the road.

25. xxJackxx

It's exactly the same. The issue isn't the product, it is the delivery method. Windows Media Player was also the same thing and to my understanding the European version of Windows didn't include it. I'm not suggesting they don't offer Defender. The issue is that they are including it. They should absolutely offer it. As a separate free download. But as this is a Kaspersky thread I'm done with that part.

Unfortunately I see Kaspersky continue to "dumb down" their products. They're not going to get a sale from me if they do so. For me the idea of a 3rd party product is more control and options. When all of the paid vendors remove that, then yes, I agree, there is not a reason to buy any of them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.