Kaspersky 2012 is a rootkit killer

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by King Grub, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

2. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

Translated.

The 2012 edition of Kaspersky Lab is very effective at detecting and removing malware, according to research by the renowned German testing body AV-Test. Anti-Virus and Internet Security 2012 were presented to seven different tests. The first test was to detect malware in the last three months has been discovered. Kaspersky did 99.4% of the 110,623 copies to detect malware, virus better than the average of 98.5% is. Like all other anti-virus Kaspersky scored in the WildList test 100%.

For the third test, the virus was active malware from your computer. All 23 active specimens were found and removed. On average 95.2% this virus to detect and remove 85.7%. The scanner shone especially during the detection and removal of rootkits and stealth malware. Seventeen of the eighteen root kits were found and removed (94.4%). On average this virus only 44.4% of the root kits to remove.

Besides detection was also looked into the tax system, which is lower than other scanners. Also in the sixth test, to detect legitimate files as malware, the scanner did not fall and stabbing were no false positives recorded. The last test was to protect against zero-day malware and email threats. The software 53 of the 56 managed to block attacks (94.6%), better than the average is 80.5%.

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I understand it as... Kaspersky is doing good? :D

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahaha basically :rolleyes:

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

And lag on the system is minimal?

6. ace11

ace11 Registered Member

Yes - lag is minimal

7. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

Will you give me a direct link to download the kaspersky beta. please

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

There you go.

9. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

thanks, but may i know how long is the beta license

10. Blackcat

Just bring up the main Window-should show 91 days from install.

11. Ciubaka

Ciubaka Registered Member

Could you post a link to the av-test.org site with the results of this test? Because i don't know how security.nl is affiliated with av-test.org and the dutch website does not provide a valid link to the test.

12. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

1: already posted in post #1

or

2: http://security.nl/zoeken?search=av-comparatives

Gerard

13. Ciubaka

@gerardwil
    That is not what i asked. Please pay attention to what you're posting, no disrespect.
    The link in post #1 is NOT from www.av-test.org.
    And the second link refers to the proactive tests done by av-comparatives.org which is a totally different independent AV testing organization than av-test.org.
    And in those Retrospective/Proactive tests ~ Removed Direct PDF Link as per AV-Comparatives Request - See Detection Tests page for the actual PDF ~ indeed Kaspersky 2011 and Avire came on top.
    So my question stands...where did www.security.nl get their official info about the tests done on Kaspersky 2012 Beta.
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011
  14. TJP

TJP Registered Member

What is the issue Ciubaka with the links provided?

Andreas Marx of AV-Test tweeted links to two stories regarding the testing of KIS 2012 beta on the 27th of May:

avtestorg Andreas Marx
    Kaspersky 2012: Mehr Cloud, neue Oberfläche - http://heise.de/-1249963

and

avtestorg Andreas Marx

Nieuwe Kaspersky anti-virus is rootkit-killer [Test of Kaspersky IS 2012] http://www.security.nl/artikel/37246

It is fair to suggest the tests are legit if Andreas is posting links to them ;)

You can check the tweets for yourself here: https://twitter.com/avtestorg The same link to Twitter can be found on the AV-Test.org homepage.

Cheers.

15. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I think it should be noted it's not the new product that appears to be doing well here; it is the various engines and other components that work together to do their stuff.

I've also seen on the KL beta forums that they're currently testing a new anti-rootkit engine. It's components like this that help to fight against malware.

16. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

It's a bit strange though.
    Security.nl places a newsitem on a testrun of Kaspersky 2012, done by AV-Test.org.

AV-Test.org places a tweet regarding the newsitem posted by Security.nl.
    The actual test data, or a link to it, from AV-Test.org can't be found on their own site.
    Heise.de/security also refers to the Kaspersky 2012 test done by AV-Test.org link

And again, AV-Test.org places a tweet link on their site referring to the Heise.de news article.
    No actual links to- or test data available anywhere...sofar only some obvious marketing news about KIS2012. :doubt:
    I don't doubt AV-Test.org has tested KIS2012 but an actual PDF, available for download, would be nice.
    (Or is it under some incomprehensible AV-Test.org<->Kaspersky NDA?)

Heise.de seems convinced the final KIS product has been tested;
    "Ein erster Test in den Labors von AV-Test bescheinigt der neuen Version auch innere Verbesserungen.
    ...Angesichts der Tatsache, dass die finale Version schon im Umlauf ist, dürfte es sich allerdings nur noch um Tage handeln."

Which translates roughly (by Google&me) to;
    "A first test in the laboratory by AV-Test confirms the new version also has internal improvements.
    ...Given the fact that the final version has been in circulation, it is likely, however, only be a matter of days" (before KIS2012 hits the market).

17. Ciubaka

@Baserk
    Thanks for the twitter posting analysis. I asked those questions because it seemed strange for me too that a result of a av-test.org test would be posted on a thisrd party website. Also the posting on heise.de seems strange. I don't intend to discredit anybody, don't get me wrong, i just want some official info about the test, the reasons for this being personal :)
    @TJP
    Thanks for the Twitter links, but as Baserk pointed out, there is something strange in the way the news was released and linked by Andreas Marx of av-test.org. And on a personal note, i take postings on Twitter with a grain of salt. ;)

18. fax

fax Registered Member

Most probably who pays for the tests owns the right to publish it. There are many av-test.org tests not been published. It is absolutely normal. In other words, the fact it is published by someone else does not mean its rubbish. :)

19. yaslaw

yaslaw Registered Member

Kaspersky is a rootkit killer and .....cpu eater. At lest on my machine.
    50% CPU usage bug is not solved yet...

20. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

hahhaha that's a nice way to look at it:D

21. Blackcat

Same here and the new patch A does not solve the problem.

22. yaslaw

yaslaw Registered Member

ehhh...
    Numerous people reported this isssue so far, without any answer from devs.
    Thread with my traces were deleted by mods :(

Another person few minutes ago, reported this again...
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=209358&view=findpost&p=1668810

I have feeling that there is no feedback from developers to the community and testers. Unlike than in avast forum that I used to....

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  23. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

Link is invalid now. What is the bug about?

24. Blackcat

Link works okay here.

A number of users have reported high CPU usage with the beta and the original discussion thread concerning these reports mysteriously disappeared from the KAV beta forum!!!:blink: :thumbd:

25. yaslaw

yaslaw Registered Member

link works but you need to register in kaspersky forum to see beta section.
    It's about random 100% of 1 core usage (in case of 2 cores it's 50% overall performance degradation). avp.exe just stuck on it for hours (until reboot)..
    Very annoying

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.