Kasperky's Activation system SUCKS!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by berryracer, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

thank you for bringing that up.

While I appreciate the advice of others about not reimaging / reinstalling a lot. I reserve the right to do what I please with my license if I am doing it legally

2. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Wait.. I thought you were running Bit Defender? Also, you seem to have several complaints about multiple installations with various other AV's..

You complained about Bullguard's system, and the only way anyone would complain about Bullguards system is if you tried to run it on more than the purchased machine number. It's simply not possible with Bullguard. Bullguard has a login proceedure that requires a username+password tied to your license, and the product requires that username/password to be installed, and continue to operate. If you surpass more than the licensed 'simultaneous' installations running it, then it disables those. You can easily log in to the website to disable and enable different PC's, but never surpassing the licensed number. You found that system entirely unfair, and the only persons I would find that think that is unfair would be someone trying to circumvent the licensing agreement. I'm seeing a common link to all of your rants.

Sorry bro, 17 activations in a one week period is piracy. There is no logical explanation otherwise, so you mean you were reformatting 2.5 times a day? I don't buy it, and I don't think Kaspersky will buy it either. This is so far beyond normal, it's ludicrous. Also, didn't you already get a refund on this license through your CC processor? Maybe that's why the license is no-go..

http://forums.berryracer.com/showthread.php?t=74
    I made an official complaint to Kaspersky and filed a refund request with Avangate.. just wanted to let you know or warn you if you were intending to buy any of Kaspersky's products!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  3. VectorFool

VectorFool Registered Member

i don't agree with that statement,
    and you really have a skewed perception of the term "Piracy"
    according to your definition, even legitimate users could be termed as pirates

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I don't know who is or isn't a pirate, but 17 activations in a one week period should raise a Spockian eyebrow.

5. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

I'm wondering, a few months ago you hated Bit Defender, and demanded a refund. Did you sign a writ of destruction, and quit using it?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=333556
    I don't get it! I will never touch a Bitdefender product again even though they get very good scores in Virus Tests. I contacted support but they were very slow to respond so I asked for a refund and got it.

But... Just yesterday you posted;

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=340811
    I had a request lately to downgrade my Bitdefender Internet Security License to a Bitdefender AntiVirus license as the firewall in the internet security was slowing my internet down to death.

But in between those posts, you posted;

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=339508
    Just get a good AV + Firewall Suite (Internet Security) and cut down on all the headaches. Bitdefender Internet Security FTW. The most secure and light as a feather.

What is wrong with you? Remember the old proverb, that when you lie so much, you eventually forget your previous lies, so you look foolish. But if you tell the truth, you never have to remember the past, as the past reinforces what you say today. Maybe you just need to be more truthful to folks around here, and then what you say will carry more weight, and then you won't have to worry about your old threads popping up that show immense discrepancies that really can't be explained away.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  6. berryracer

wow you took all this time to search and pull up old posts. seriously, you have no life.

I didn't even read your post because I have other things to do.

go out man, get a wife, and get a life....seriously :rolleyes:

7. berryracer

Finally Kaspersky replies:

As I thought, they will not issue me with a manual activation file they will simply reset the activation count.

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

berry, the only thing I can say to you is to have some patience - some things take time, but it's not like they don't understand why you're having a problem with their product. Don't incessantly make threads like "this is the best" and "this sucks" - experiences are made over a long period of time, not a few isolated incidences :) .

They might still be suspicious of the "17 activations in 1 week", that's why I guess. For now, your issue is solved, so all is good :)

9. berryracer

alright man ill take your word.

thanks

10. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

I won't comment on the Kaspersky activation system (we do have strong views though), but remember they added regional coding on their serials in December, which means it's incredibly difficult to buy and activate a code outside your region (EU is a little more flexible, however).

One important point though that lots of people mis-understand. When you buy a 3-PC license, it means *one* user and 3-PCs that one user owns. So many people mis-understand the definition of 3-PC. So many users email us and say "I'm around my grandfather's house installing my Kaspersky code on his computer" or even "I used the code, gave it to my mother and a friend in Finland and now it won't work?".

A 3-PC or 5-PC license means it will activate 3 or 5 computers, with your Kaspersky account. So, if you own a desktop PC and laptop, that's two activations using your account.

What it doesn't mean is 3 separate Kaspersky accounts used by 3 different users. Effectively you void the license when you give it to another user. Also, do not forget that if you give a code to a another, can you really trust them with your code? We had one person email us saying Kaspersky's support had told him he had activated his 3-PC code 15 times and it was impossible as he'd used it once and given it to one friend. What he didn't realise is his friend and used it multiple times behind his back, leading to 15 activations in total. The code was then blocked.

Of course, there are some caveats to this. For instance, Bitdefender Sphere is a multi-user, multi-device license, which allows you to give it to people in your household (but still limits you to your household - you can't give your code to a friend in another country).

11. manak

manak Registered Member

Cannot use or cannot activate a code outside your region?
    These days many people use laptops and travel overseas a lot on business or study.
    Kasperky's Activation system restricts too much their valuable customers.
    It's too bad.

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The main problem is that Kaspersky is either too slow or entirely unhelpful in dealing with such requests. I wish they'd allot more staff for such things.

13. chriswiles

Correct. We recently had a UK customer buy a UK Kaspersky code, with a UK address on his UK credit card and then go on business to China for 6 months. Guess what? It wouldn't activate (as he was now in China). He complained to Kaspersky, they pointed the customer to us. Clearly we can't do a thing as we don't handle their activation.

We ended up giving the customer a Bitdefender Total Security code instead, which activated and secured his computer!

Recently we had a scenario where some UK customers of a large and well-known ISP couldn't activate a UK Kaspersky code....in the UK. Their IPs were being blocked as their ISP went via some kind of parental control filter.

14. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

i dont know why dont they show no of PC activated just like norton,mcafee,webroot and so many other products.
    This will be more transparent to the end user who is activating the license.

As far as i know I can install and activate my norton,mcafee and some other license as many time as I want as long as it is on the same PC.

15. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

we deal with many international clients and this is why we stopped offering kaspersky. we simply dont need the hassle nor do our clients when they find out they came here on business or vacation and needed their machine fixed and while they were there they decide to buy a kis lic. then go back home and now because of regional restrictions they dont work

16. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I love it.

Fact of the matter is you have absolutely no need to reinstall Kaspersky 12 times a year. Doesnt matter whether you bought a license or not. Fact of the matter is by buying a license you agree to their EULA and TOS. If it says in the EULA or TOS that you can only activate your license 5 times for the duration of the license. Guess what... You can only activate your license 5 times. Whining because you cant read the EULA or TOS isnt Kasperskys fault or any other companies fault. Its your fault. Next time pay attention.

17. berryracer

so why me doing the same with every other AV cause no issue? go figure :rolleyes:

If I own a License I may choose to reinstall and activate it 10 times a day it's none's business :rolleyes:

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

because their tos is different, when you use a av you agree to the tos when you install it. you have no choice its normally the first screen of the installation and if you dont agree you dont use it. simple as that. this again is why i tell you for av's that have this type of policy you must make a image of the fresh system with only that av installed. then if you dont want it to affect anything simply turn it off then install drivers or whatever and then turn it back on. imo not a big deal. i have restored my kis image probably 100+ times to test kis against certain things. have yet to ever have this issue myself with my personal lic.

with kaspersky its as chris said. a "3pc" lic doesnt actually mean you can use it on 3pc's and activate each 3 times or 5 times. it means you are ONE user who has a TOTAL of three activations. so technically you can activate the program 3 times. they are a bit forgiving and many times let you do it maybe 5 or 6 but thats prob the limit. so the 1 lic you bought is for 3 activations not 3 separate users to activate three times. or the 1pc version is good for a single ACTIVATION not 17. again they will let you do it maybe 3 or 4 etc but they stop it once it gets past that. does that make it more clear??

19. chriswiles

To be fair to Kaspersky, I think end users misunderstand the amount of effort some users go to to mis-use their serial codes.

I once had a conversation with some high up in AVG who read a list of 3-PC codes which had been activated 20, 50, often over 100 times. They were going to automatically cancel the codes and wanted to make us aware before hand.

Activation servers are simply not advanced enough to figure whether those 10-a-day activations are on the same computer or not. Indeed, with the use of shared IPs (AOL gives the same IP to all users) and some users deliberately hiding behind a proxy when activating, the activation servers have to assume the worst - that the code is being pirated.

And, yes, zfactor is correct. Some serial codes mean 3-PC and 3-activations. We recommend 3-PC licenses because they allow you to install on your desktop, laptop and *re-install* again in the future, if you update one of the existing PCs. Some 3-PC licenses mean "3 activations on 3 PCs, even if you re-install on the same machine".

20. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot comments removed. Seems nothing further needs adding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.