Karmic Kernel Error after Sleep/Suspend

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Judge Dee, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Every time I come out of sleep in Ubuntu 9.10, I get a "serious kernel error". This never happened with Jaunty.
    I get rid of the notification and keep working just fine, but it's still a problem.
    I've seen a few bug reports on launchpad and elsewhere, but no answers.
    Any ideas?

Regards,
    JD

2. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Did you update from 9.04 or did you preform a fresh install?

3. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

I did a fresh install of one of the earlier 9.10 betas, then let it update from there.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I got an error to the effect that the kernel was/is unstable immediately after boot up, which took literally forever on the live cd. There is something seriously wrong with 9.10. 9.04 was near perfect on my machine, but 9.10 doesn't even run now. I have no idea what happened... But I can't use it.

5. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

You know Kerodo, I'm getting the same thing. These errors are happening more often than what I first posted. :(

6. Sputnik

Do you both have a ATI or Intel videocard? I'm suspecting a particular driver messing things up in Ubuntu 9.10.

7. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

I'm using Nvidia, Sputnik. And I have the latest Ubuntu recommended driver (185).
    At Launchpad and the Ubuntu forums, lots of people are reporting kernel errors. No answers yet. Guess we have to wait.

JD

8. Sputnik

@Judge Dee
    Roger that. My girlfriends system has a NVidia card as well (6600) running the same drivers. It's a shame though, kernel errors should like this simply shouldn't occur on released versions. I wonder if these problems were know during the Beta/RC phase or suddenly popped up?

Sorry, I'm not too well informed about Ubuntu.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have ATI here. I was told by a friend that there were some kernel changes relating to ATI stuff. So perhaps that is the problem? not sure....

10. Sputnik

@Kerodo
    Yup, that's why I asked. Though JD has an NVidia card, so maybe there's more going on o_O

11. Eice

Eice Registered Member

ATI card here as well; specifically, a Mobility Radeon HD 3450 on a laptop. TBH video performance has never been better for me. The last few versions of Ubuntu had the whole mix of freezes, crashes, and slowdowns with 3D graphics enabled, but either Canonical, AMD, or both have done something since this April that's fixed it for me.

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

You'll get hibernate error if you've used default partitioning, a known reported bug with 9.10, a major pain in the ass and a disappointment.
    Mrk

13. incursari

incursari Registered Member

I got this at welcome screen when booting from Ubuntu 9.10 live cd. I'm using Nvidia 6600.
    Very disappointment.

Attached Files:

14. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Couldn't help but chuckle to myself after reading this thread and the one here.

Six months ago I was struggling and swearing loudly at my laptop while it seemed like everyone else was telling me how Jaunty was flying just absolutely brilliantly for them. Now things appear to be the other way round. :D

15. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

He..he..he .. well like Eice, I was also in luck - so far. However there are some things I miss. For instance there is no 'services' menu entry - also no sys-rc-conf or sysvconfig package to be found in Synaptic. Previously one could easily stop services like bluetooth via the services menu entry. This is all due to the new 'Upstart' feature, so for new users disabling selected services is now difficult.
    (I will try to set the os prober not to probe because there is no point. I am chainloading from my good and stable Hardy which still has 'legacy grub' and ext3 - so naturally would not be able to do anything with that boot entry in Karmic boot loader. )

16. Mrkvonic

I really don't understand the now you have it now you don't mentality. Why make something perfectly ordinary complicated, like starting or stopping services using wrappers? Why?

As to Karmic, it mostly works, which is not good enough, as it is supposed to be better than Jaunty. Even if it's the same, it's bad. No progress is a lack of progress.

My experience shows far less stability with 9.10. Sound on 2/5 machines, glitches with apps and crashes, statistically it must happen, but this time just too much. I'd rather not have Ubuntu One or such or half-baked Grub 2 and instead use rock solid stuff that was there already.

Six months is too short ... I'd prefer annual releases and 10 year support.

I'll vent it out in one big article ...

Mrk

17. Sputnik

@Mrkvonic
    :D Ten years of support is way too long comrade. I agree with you that this six month cycles are too short indeed. It can be done, if you create one major in April and an updated one in October (containing newer versions of OpenOffice etc.) for example. One release a year seems ok, but Ubuntu ain't a 'rollin' distro' making it outdated too fast I think.

18. Mrkvonic

If RH can do 7 and MS can do 13, then I see no reason why Canonical can't do at least five without breaking into a sweat.
    Mrk

19. Sputnik

@Mrkvonic
    I think it's simple, Canonical just doesn't have the capacity for it. Five years would be long enough I think, simply because the updates are free.
    The fact that Microsoft is supporting XP for 13 years ain't normal for them neither (take a look at 2000 for example). Also Microsoft doesn't provide free upgrades to newer versions so they should support their products for a decent time.

20. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Just a tentative update.
    Sometime after I updated Wednesday, I realized I was no longer getting any kernel errors. That includes today.
    But, and I don't know for sure if it's related, my computer no longer suspends on its own. Nor does my monitor. The monitor only blanks, like on the one screensaver option.
    Oh well, just thought I'd pass it on.

JD

21. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Sorry to bump this thread, but I want to be fair. All problems seem to be gone after another update.
    No errors, sleep/suspend working fine. :thumb:

22. Sputnik

@Judge Dee
    Did it had to do with today's Grub update? I didn't see any other updates that could possible have solved this problem today.

23. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

No Sputnik, it wasn't the grub update.
    I did do an update late last night and can't remember what was updated.
    But I wonder if what I did next solved it. Out of irritation, I removed the screensaver and reinstalled it. Then went to bed.
    This morning I realized that my computer now suspends on its own.
    Being new to Linux, I don't know if installed packages can be/become corrupt like in Windows.

JD

24. Sputnik

@Judge Dee
    You might want to take a look in the 'Log File Viewer' to check what's been updated. You can reach it clicking 'System' and navigating the 'Administration' menu.

25. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Well Sputnik, I really didn't see anything there that makes me think it was an update.
    I do know that everything is finally running smoothly, and I can once again enjoy Ubuntu.
    I really appreciate your help.

Regards,
    JD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.