Kapersky Antivirus Web Scanner - expired?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JoAnn P., Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoAnn P.

JoAnn P. Guest

I downloaded the KAV on demand web scanner several weeks ago. I've used it a couple of times, and I've been happy with it.

But now the KAV Web Scanner (Release Candidate) won't let me use it anymore as it says my license is expired.

But there is nowhere to buy an extended license....

I had assumed it was like the Panda Activescan or Trend's Housecall.... that I downloaded the components, and that it was not going away.

Will the KAV Web Scanner always be a temporary thing, or will it be like Panda and Trend's once it's final?

I have 5.0.67.0 on my machine.

2. JoAnn P.

JoAnn P. Guest

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Check out this thread.

JoAnn, it is a free and permanent scanner so no need to think about purchasing it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  4. JoAnn P.

JoAnn P. Guest

Thank you Blackcat.

5. Blackcat

Did you manually uninstall the previous beta, 5.0.50.0, using Add/Remove before installing the RC?

6. JoAnn P.

JoAnn P. Guest

No, I never had the previous version. The RC was the first version I loaded. I just tried to Remove the program, but I was told I have to close Explorer. So I'll do it later I guess.

7. JoAnn P.

JoAnn P. Guest

8. Blackcat

No, it is me in one of my other 9 lives!

9. Blackcat

JoAnn,

Since you did not use the previous beta I am not sure why you are receiving the "license expired" message.

This KAV scanner only works with Internet Explorer. Are you using another browser?

Anyone else used the Web Scanner recently?

Attached Files:

10. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I had the same problem, BC. I didn't use the beta, and downloaded the 5.0 web scanner from RejZoR's security-ops page....and it worked fine for about a month (I would run it about once a week). Then, like the others...I was told that it had "expired". So I uninstalled everything KAV, and then downloaded again, and was able to run a scan the other day after reinstalling again. I guess the jury's still out on this one.....

Oh yeah, it wouldn't allow me to scan from Firefox the first time that I tried, so I have been opening up IE every time that I am going to use it.

11. Blackcat

I didn't know that the RC Web Scanner had been released for this amount of time.
    Thanks, JR

Maybe Kaspersky is still ironing out a few bugs in this RC :doubt:

12. JRCATES

I probably should clarify that statement a little....because I may very well be incorrect. Yes, it was over a month ago that I first downloaded, but I may have actually downloaded the "5.0 beta", because I remember that just a couple of weeks after I had downloaded it, the "6.0 BETA" was released. I guess I just assumed that if the 6.0 beta was being released so soon after I had downloaded 5.0, that the 5.0 wasn't considered a "beta". Please forgive my indiscretion if this is the case.

13. Blackcat

No problem, JR ;)

I just wanted to confirm whether the way you solved your problem would help JoAnn.

14. JRCATES

OK, well so far BC, it's worked. I uninstalled Kaspersky, and then reinstalled it and it's working currently. I've run two scans with it in the last week after reinstalling, so now I'm just hoping that all is well :) (fingers crossed)....

15. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi JoAnn ( & JR too!)

The webscanner only works with IE, it also says so in blue in the first screen.

When a new version is released you have to uninstall the previous version from add/remove programs (as JR have found out), hope this clarifies things. :)

16. Blackcat

Thanks, Don for clarification ;)

Maybe on the launch screen, Kaspersky needs to state the present version number of the Web Scanner and simply state that the previous version (not just the BETA) needs to be uninstalled.

17. pffft

pffft Guest

OK, I'll shed some light on this. To get around the expiration notice, go into the registry and delete this key:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\LK.Auto
    Or, to make it easier (especially for repeated use), create a REG file with the following content, and import it:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\LK.Auto]

After that, you can relaunch and run the KAV web scanner, without the need for rebooting.

18. pffft

pffft Guest

It's not just when a new version is released that the trial version expiration message can appear. I had it happen due to the length of time I had it installed, even though no newer version was available. I remedied it with the advice I give above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.