K-meleon 1.6 alpha - REALLY fast!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have been running the latest alpha of K-mel 1.6 for several hours. So far I have not encountered any glitches whatsoever. It feels waaay faster than Safari, FF, Chrome, Cometbird, Iron (the other browsers I have installed).

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I may give k-meleon a try bellgamin.

I have been trying out Arora browser... very nice.

3. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

thanks for sharing this good stuff :thumb:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  4. bellgamin

I shall give Arora a trial.

5. ProrokX

ProrokX Registered Member

And how about Opera 10.5 RC? Did you test latest Chrome beta (5.x), cause it seems to be speed demon;)

6. bellgamin

Running the latest Chrome betas always. Opera not installed at the moment.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

That appears to be related to QTWeb browser.

http://www.qtweb.net/

8. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

For me a browser still has to feel fast and light when I have 50 tabs and 10 addons loaded. A single tab with no addons is no longer useful by itself. I especially miss all the addons I've grown used to in FF, without them its not worth it a faster rendering engine. Arora looks very nice, I'm trying it out.

9. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

Just downloaded K-Meleon 1.6.03.7z on the basis of the commentary in this forum. But cannot get it to run.

There are two exes 1) K-Meleon.exe 2) SetDefault.exe

If I click on 1) K-Meleon.exe I get the following error message "The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling, the application may fix this problem"

As far as I am aware I thought this download was not a full installer. In any event have re-downloaded the 7Zip file but with the same result.

Obviously I am doing something wrong can anyone help sort me out.

I am on WinXP SP3 Athlon 1.6GHZ. No previous K-Meleon installed

Thanks

Terry

10. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Alphas are sometimes buggy.
    If you wish to evaluate K-Mel, I suggest you try latest stable build: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/ (after purging system of all vestiges of 1.6.03)

Cheers

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I think you need to have an installed version to get the profile in place. The alpha is an archive you extract and run, but it does use the profile. For me I already use Kmeleon, so it was installed. On both my machines all I had to do was extract alpha to a directory, then run the alpha .exe.

Removal then is simply delete the alpha directory.

Sul.

12. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I too downloaded K-Meleon1.6.0a3.7z, extracted the contents to a folder by the same name, and ran the k-meleon.exe. Running the exe created "C:\Documents and Settings\[User name]\Application Data\K-Meleon" folder with the settings data. I replaced the bookmarks there with my Firefox bookmarks (not necessary) and now I'm testing K-Meleon out by replying to your post.

Maybe your system is missing some files that K-Meleon relies on that are generally present on most systems. You could run it using a free program called Dependency Walker to try to track down the problem, but it's probably more hazzle than testing an alpha brower is worth...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.