K-Meleon 1.5.4 was released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ProrokX, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProrokX

ProrokX Registered Member

New stable version of this underrated browser was released.Update to latest Mozilla code 1.8.1.24 with some bug fixes.
    For more info see: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

2. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Thanks for the info ! :D

Tested and working fast and great. This is a good update from version 1.5.3 and its Gecko engine is more recent though still 1.8.x.x which to me rocks over the most recent Gecko engine 1.9.x.x series. Compared to 1.5.4RC which I had also tested, this final version is alot more smoother and refined. Like it :D

Cheers for the K-Meleon volunteers Developer Team for this great release, as always !!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I find it a little quicker as well. I thought it was my imagination at first but it seems decidedly snappier. :)

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Got it! 1.5.4 is verry fast, but 1.6 (now in 4th-stage of alpha status) is even faster, & is current with the latest Gecko engine.

Even tho in alpha, I have run 1.6 for several days with nary a burp. I also run 1.5.4 from time to time -- to show support. ;)

K-mel is on the move!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

5. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

But the 1.9.x.x Gecko engine in 1.6a builds is not compatible with some of the important sites that I need to use and the sites showed up with either slow or missing data. 1.5.4 showed them all and immediately.

Hence, I'm staying with 1.5.4 :p

6. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

thanks for the update - i usually keep this browser as third-in-command behind opera, then firefox.

how are the customization capabilities of this browser?

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I believe this is the reason so many certified geeks love this browser. I know it is why I love it for this reason. Learn the macro language and it becomes very fun to implement what you want to.

But it truly is a geeks toy. Average users might struggle through changing things because much of it is syntax based.

154 seems about on par with 153 for me, not much 'noticable' differences yet that I see. 1.6 is much more responsive. Still, it gives me a reason to get off Opera 10.10 for a bit and see what is under the hood. What is the compelling reason to dig around in the bowels of software than to learn what makes it tick?

Sul.

8. progress

progress Guest

But there is still no reason to use K-Meleon instead of Firefox? :doubt:

9. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Huh? Don't let pure speculation of which software is better make your decision. Try them and find out which YOU think is better. Any browser can be secured, some just require less work.

I am a big believer that the User Interface to software dictates whether an individual likes it 'better' than similar ones or not. Often the one that gives you the features you want is the one you choose. Sometimes you use the more secure one and sometimes you use the one that feels snappier.

I personally find any excuse to use Opera or Kmeleon over Firefox because I cannot stand Firefox. But that is just me. I don't like Chrome much either, but many here do.

Have you tried Kmeleon? It is not everyones cup of tea, but you never know ;)

Sul.

10. ProrokX

ProrokX Registered Member

Exactly. K-Meleon is quite strange browser. Why? You have to give it a try:D Its not so well known as his big brother (FFx), not so good looking (in the times of Aero Glass;) ) , but when you spent some time together...you could love it. K-Meleon is speedy, customizable, not so popular (less known vulnerability). Even if its not better than Firefox...its also not worse, K-Meleon is just different.

There was question: "But there is still no reason to use K-Meleon instead of Firefox?" Hmm...instead of K-Meleon or Firefox, you can insert name of any browser you could imagine, and the discussion will be looking the same.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  11. Daveski17

Phoenity large looks quite nice in Vista blue & aeroglass & it looks pretty good 'out of the box' I think. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! ;)

12. Daveski17

I like the Gecko engine but in both SeaMonkey & Firefox I am having *problems with the Ajax script & page-loading in certain sites (My Yahoo, Gmail etc) plus I can't get the adblock filter to work properly in either. K-Meleon has none of these problems & has a built-in adblocker & a Flash-Blocker button (Privacy Bar). It is also very fast.

*Apparently I'm not the only one either so it isn't my platform & I have seen this page-loading problem on other computers with Firefox.

13. Daveski17

Does KM 1.6 have any problems with Ajax script on certain interactive pages like Firefox/SeaMonkey does?

Some of the guys on the K-Meleon forums have also noticed this with Firefox.

14. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

There was a post on their forum:
    Notes: I believe this comment referenced v1.5.3.
    I cannot coment personally on their observation.

15. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

What they mean by 'page loading problem'?

16. Daveski17

As far as I know K-Meleon #1.5 series does not suffer from this page loading problem. I wondered if it was anything to do with the #1.9 Gecko engine, but thinking about it, Firefox & SeaMonkey have had this problem before with earlier forms of Gecko. I assumed it was my platform but a lot of people have noticed this problem. Many believe that the page they are viewing is broken. It must be a Firefox/SeaMonkey bug however because it doesn't affect any other browser, including K-Meleon 1.5.3/1.5.4.

17. Daveski17

I find in Firefox & SeaMonkey certain interactive pages (Ajax script?) appear to load but the throbber, Stop Loading button & system tray ribbon are still active or in motion.

18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

For *fun surfing* I use K-mel, because it is THE fastest browser on my particular computer. For *secure surfing* (banking, etc) I use FF because of Noscript, Keyscrambler, faster updates to latest Gecko engine, etc.

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I tried to import my bookmarks from FF. I followed the directions but couldn't do it. When I installed Chrome, I clicked one item. Done. I uninstalled the K-Meleon. How come it doesn't have an Import button like FF?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  20. Daveski17

The first time I downloaded K-Meleon (1.5.1) around December 2008 I found that it wouldn't keep bookmarks I had made after I re-opened the browser after a session. No one could explain this behaviour so I uninstalled it. I thought it may have been my platform (Vista HP 32 bit) but a few months ago I downloaded 1.5.3 & it has been fine.

Maybe it was gremlins... :eek:

I have no idea why computers act like they do. o_O

21. Sadeghi85

Yes, I sometimes encounter that problem, I always thought it was network problem. One example is Wordpress stat page, I'll try K-Mel and see what happens.

22. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

Absolutely the only browser I will use other than Firefox and I probably use K-Meleon a little more. Sorry to knock on Chrome I know a lot of people love it but I just can't see why anyone would want anything other that FF, & K-Meleon, and maybe Opera but that is just my opinion. Im not even too crazy about the newer Opera versions, guess I am just old fashioned

23. Daveski17

It only affects Firefox & SeaMonkey as far as I know, KM is fine. They (Firefox/SeaMonkey) are so similar these days that they share bugs that other Gecko engined browsers normally don't. I have also heard that the bug has been identified & fixed for the next release. I don't have a number for it though. This happened to SeaMonkey #1 series once & the dev team eventually fixed it. From what I can tell it seems to affect some platforms more than others & some not at all. However I have yet to use a computer with Firefox installed that loads in my 'My Yahoo' or Gmail pages.

24. Sadeghi85

Well in case of Wordpress it was indeed network problem, I can't access https://dashboard.wordpress.com/i/stats-icon.gif for some reason. I use Gmail daily and haven't notice any page load error, but good to hear that the next release will fix this.

25. Daveski17

I have no idea why it affects some people & not others. I assumed it was my platform or network/ISP yet other people have reported this behaviour. However, I have noticed that it doesn't always happen in Gmail until I use the smilies. Sometimes by playing around with the toolbar in Gmail I can make the page alternate between loading & not loading. It is similar in my 'My Yahoo!' page. Sometimes it will load normally yet as soon as I click on a link it starts loading again. I think it may be some bug with the throbber. From what I have heard it has been known about but not given priority for a while. Hopefully the next releases of Fx & SM should fix this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.