K-Meleon 0.9

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/start/

K-Meleon is a Windows-based web browser based on Gecko, the Mozilla rendering engine. K-Meleon is fast, extremely customizable and is fully standards-compliant. K-Meleon 0.9 is our latest official release and is based on Mozilla 1.7.5.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Screenshot with Phoenity theme.

Attached Files:

3. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

I use K-Meleon 90% of the time (Firefox 9% and IE 1%)

Here is a screenshot of my toolbar! Notice the minimalistic tweakage going on :cool:

This is exactly why I love K-Meleon. You can customize it so much.

Attached Files:

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Kye-U

I trimmed that image a bit. It might be better to just show a section of high resolution pngs or jpgs.

K-Meleon is a little ahead of Firefox in many ways (extensions built in) and is faster as well.

5. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

Hi

I used to surf on KMeleon two years ago...

Is the current version as fast as the previous ones?

Did I read well ? Extensions are built-in? Which ones? Ad-block?

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

No ad block that I am aware of. I use proxomitron with all my browsers so this isn't critical to me.

Take a look. It is speedy.

Version 0.9 (1/17/2005):
    A major new release of K-Meleon with many new features and updates including:

* A new look with Phoenity skin
    * Dozens of new options to control and enhance your browsing experience
    * Right-click on toolbar buttons to access additional features and settings
    * Direct access to most browser options
    * New and improved privacy and security features including a new Privacy plugin
    * RSS Newsfeed reader and Flashblock extensions
    * The latest Mozilla code (1.7.5)

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/download.php

7. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

Interesting

I wonder why Sourceforge would divert themself over three separate browsers (Mozilla, FFox and KMeleon).

All right, Mozilla is a complete suite, but how about FFox vs KMeleon?

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Good question.

K-Meleon is faster. Other than that I like them both.

Not a complete suite but will link to all your programs such as newreader, mail, etc. They are focused on browsers.

I have them both on my machine with no conflicts and can run both simultaneously with no problems.

It will cleanly uninstall.

9. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

Will dwnld it tomorrow :)

I wonder if some of the files oh KMl will overlap with these of FFox since they're based on some common components ?!

I know sometimes installing in different repertoires is not sufficient, for example when you install Moox on your machine when FFox is already on the same system...

How to prevent this so any one can be tested on its own merits ?

Rgds

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I had mozilla and firefox and k-mellon didn't pick up on them when I downloaded and tried it

bigc

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Not one problem. Zero conflicts. K-Meleon is contained in the program files folder.

12. Sourceforge is the largest host for Open Source developers. They don't do anything with the software except host the pages for developers to meet, download code, exchange ideas, allow for public download and all the things an Open Source project needs. Sourceforge would host dozens of OS browser projects if there were that many, they don't play favorites as long as the Open Source project meets the criteria for a legitimate project. They host a half dozen or so Open Source browser projects and thousands of other OS projects.

Here is a little from their site ---

SourceForge.net is the world's largest Open Source software development web site, providing free hosting to tens of thousands of projects. The mission of SourceForge.net is to enrich the Open Source community by providing a centralized place for Open Source developers to control and manage Open Source software development. To fulfill this mission goal, we offer a variety of services to projects we host, and to the Open Source community.
    http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=6025&group_id=1

13. happin-in

happin-in Guest

Thats a nice simple theme Kye-U .. may I ask which theme it is?

14. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

Hi

Can't get Kmeleon to import eitehr my Opera adresses or FFox bookmarks...

Any tip?
    Thanks

15. dog

dog Guest

Go to "edit" -> Preferences. Then on the preferences interface (left pane) select plugins ... and enable either Opera, IE, or Netscape.

Close and restart the browser ... and presto. ;)

HTH,

Steve

16. Firefoxguy

Firefoxguy Guest

"moox" is actually just firefox compiled with slight tweaks. Actually I have several versions of firefox installed on one computer without problems (including Moox) so I dont know why you have a problem.

In any case, K-melon works completely indepedent of Firefox, mozilla etc.

17. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

It is the Phoenity theme :D

http://www.phoenity.com/kmeleon.html

It is included by default in 0.9, and I think mine's an older version... o_O

18. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Ok guys, I've decided to give kmeleon a little test drive, but have a few questions. It imported my IE favourites (which are old and pretty much obsolete), but not my FF bookmarks. I managed to manually replace the bookmarks file in my profile, so now I have my FF bookmarks.
    1. They don't seem to open in a new tab (layer) from a right click.... why?
    2. Is there anyway to show them in a sidebar permanently like FF?
    3. What's the story with favourites, bookmarks AND hotlist? Aren't they all pretty much the same thing?
    TIA,
    Brad.

19. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Hi bigbuck

1. You can set your bookmarks to open by default in a new layer from a left click: go to Tools - Bookmark Options
    2. No, that's not possible.
    3. I think it's so you can use KM in parallel with other browers, keeping your IE favourites and Opera hotlist intact. But I'm not sure, it's not something I use. The KM forum will be happy to advise.

About manually importing FF bookmarks: if you go to Tools - Bookmark Options - Settings you can route KM to share your existing FF bookmarks, that way any changes you make in the one browser apply to both. Once KM messed up my FF bookmarks, so it's a good idea to do regular backups - fortunately I'd already started doing that.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  20. bigbuck

Thanks Meltdown!

21. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

You're welcome. It really is a nice browser. Initially I was irritated by not being able to do things the way I was used to with Firefox, but when I took FF out for a spin the other day I was surprised to find how many built-in features KM has that I've come to take for granted. Finding them is another matter; the menus are all over the place. :)

22. bigbuck

My next question is about passwords. Can I import them? I can find where to clear them and where to set a master password, but other than that I'm lost. I think the menus are fairly cumbersome....
    TIA,
    Brad.

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I can't find anything on importing passwords Brad. K-Meleon is very fast but, Firefox has me spoiled as far as extensions and usability go. :D

24. bigbuck

Thanks Ron, I think your probably right there!
    Cheers.

25. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.