JV16 PowerTools 2006 - Exclusions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

You can exclude registries in JV16, so that they are not reported again in the "Registry Cleaner" and this is well done in JV16 with all possible selection methods : one-by-one selection, multiple selections and select all.

If you can exclude registries, you also must be able to undo exclusions.
    JV16 works with menus and screens, so I thought it would be easy to find how to undo excluded registries. After all JV16 is supposed to be userfriendly.
    But I couldn't find it on the main menu or in the "Registry Cleaner",
    So I had to ask Macecraft (didn't know there was a forum) via email, how to do it.

After a few days I got an answer by email :
    I expected for undo exclusions, a view screen with select-boxes and buttons, just like for removal of registries, but instead of that I had to go to
    C:\Program Files\jv16 PowerTools 2006\Settings\SuperRegIgnoreList.dat
    Open that file with "Notepad" and remove the entries myself.
    Notepad is a dangerous tool to update a database, anything is allowed in Notepad because Notepad is nothing more than an editor.

I'm not planning to use JV16 PowerTools 2006 or RegSupreme Pro v1.2 or RegSupreme v1.4
    Such a poor programming is unacceptable for me nowadays. :)

2. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Well in one way you are right that a very good program is lacking in such a small feature. But on the other way it does the job with the Editor, so it is a simple txt file and not a real database.

3. ErikAlbert

A text file, that allows any kind of change, good or bad.
    That is indeed a safe solution. :rolleyes:

4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I love notepad and programs that allow you to make adjustments yourself with a simple text editor. I find that a very user-friendly characteristic for a software to have. I also find the command prompt user-friendly.

5. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Yes i still miss the old ini-file times. Even today i prefer programs which still use ini and don't write anything into the registry.

6. ErikAlbert

Yes all knowledgeable users love that stuff, certainly old DOS-users.
    Less-knowledgeable users nowadays expect something else.
    At work, we call such a poor programming : laziness.
    It's much easier for a programmer to do this in a plain text-file than provide a view screen.
    I wonder why JV16 didn't use Notepad for the removal of registries as well.

7. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Are you getting a little bit ironic :)

8. ErikAlbert

I always get ironic with mistakes in softwares, but that doesn't mean I'm negative.
    I contacted Macecraft about this, if they don't agree, I look for another registry cleaner. Choice enough.
    I need a registry cleaner, which treats exclusions and undo exclusion the SAME way as removal of registries.

The irony is that I couldn't find one up to now. So I keep on searching.

9. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

:eek: OLD ?:mad:

10. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Registry First Aid does this!

11. ErikAlbert

Thanks for the tip, this will be the next one. :cool:

12. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Two months more of testing and we all expect a detailed report from you :)

13. ErikAlbert

I don't think that the majority of users is interested in "exclusions" and "undo exclusions", they are only interested in the removal of registries, as many as possible.
    If the majority of users were interested, all registry cleaner authors would have received enough complaints to correct their registry cleaner, but that didn't happen.
    JV16 was very close to my wishes, unfortunately not for "undo exclusions".
    I don't demand the impossible or something new, some registry cleaners have these functions already, just not good enough.
    If these functions are there, I can use any registry cleaner, even the most aggressive and dangerous one, in a safe way.

14. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if i interpreted teh features list and screenshot correctly, then Registry Healer allows gui making/undoing of exclusions. hope it works for u erik.

RegScrubXP also offers exclusions (this program i did test).

15. ErikAlbert

Thanks for the tips, I will try them.

P.S.: Registry First Aid was a flop.

16. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

As quite a registry freak software tester (amateur of course) i can maybe give you my impressions.I have
    1.RFA.
    2.Ace utilities
    3.Tune up utilities
    4.Regcleaner (pre4deccssor of JV16)
    5.JV16

My impressions
    1.RFA.......Very good ,lots of options
    2.Ace utilities......Excellent ,loads of options and other functions,very light running and fast.
    3.Tune up utilities....Excellent ,and programme contains many useful tools (i use this one more than any of the others)It is also errs on the cautious side (as does ace utilities),which is good in my opinion
    4.Regcleaner...good i use this to remove deleted software entries (jv16 seems to lack this function)
    5.JV16........Excellent finding/cleaning abilities ,but very poor user interface and options.

Perosnally i would recommend
    1.Tune up utilities or Ace utilities...in that order.

17. ErikAlbert

You must have misunderstood me.
    I'm looking for a registry cleaner that treats "exclusions" and "undo exclusions" in the same way as "removal" of registries.

1. Some registry cleaners don't even have exclusions, which is unacceptable for me.
    2. Some registry cleaners have exclusions, but poor selection methods, usually only the one-by-one selection method.
    3. Some registry cleaners have exclusions and all selection methods, but are very poor in "undo exclusions".

All registry cleaners are good in one thing : removal of registries with all selection methods, but they all report DIFFERENTLY, which means that each registry cleaner programmer has a different opinion about which registries have to be removed. I find that funny and frightening at the same time.
    Which programmer are you going to trust ? I don't even know how good the programmer is.
    Does a less-knowledgeable user knows ? Certainly not me.
    Does a knowledgeable user have the knowledge of thousands registries ? I don't know, that must be a VERY VERY KNOWLEGDEABLE user.

I just don't understand, why most registry cleaners are so eager to remove registries and neglected the functions for keeping the reported registries in case the user likes to do that.
    The user is the BOSS, not the programmer and the programmer has to provide all the functions to remove or exclude registries with equal selection methods, that is the job of a programmer. :)

18. ellison64

.The one i would recommend still is tuneup utilities.It keeps backups and shows detailed reports of what is contained in the backup (not just registry but any other settings altered using tuneup utilities).see pics.

Attached Files:

19. ellison64

and details....

Attached Files:

20. ErikAlbert

At first sight and first tests, RegScrupXP seems to have all the selection methods for "removal", "exclusions" and "undo exclusions", I need.
    Not a very attractive registry cleaner, but that doesn't matter.
    At least I have one now that meets my wishes, I was getting desperate, because I need such a registry cleaner right after installing winXPproSP2.
    I will try Registry Healer too in another FDISR-snapshot, I vaguely remember that Registry Healer wasn't good enough, but I will try it anyway.
    Thanks alot :)

21. ellison64

May i ask why Erik?...ive found RFA to have quite extensive control over backups,exclusions and restoring.
    ellison

22. WSFuser

ace utilities has an ignore list for its registry cleaner. so theres another utility for u erik.

23. ErikAlbert

Latest update on RegScrubXP :
    I have the impression that RegScrubXP doesn't handle all registries.
    It provides 2 executables for making a backup and nothing more.
    1. HKCU.cmd, which results in HKCU.reg = 8,381 KB
    2. HKLM.cmd, which results in HKLM.reg = 28,677 KB
    HK_CLASSES_ROOT, HKEY_USERS and HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG are missing.

If I run regedit and export my registry to a .reg-file, it has 55,169 KB
    Quite a difference between 37,058 and 55,169. Something isn't right.
    If that is true, RegScrubXP is useless.

I will try Ace Utilities.

24. WSFuser

if u use regedit to export just HKCU or HKLM, do they have the same size as regscrubxp?

secondly, does regscrubxp touch those other areas? if it doesnt, theres no use backing them up.

25. ErikAlbert

If my memory is good, TuneUp Utilities wasn't good enough. All the selection methods weren't there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.