Just tried testing these programs on the other computer.

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by UZ64, Jul 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UZ64

UZ64 Guest

I installed the newest versions of SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard, updated them both, and made sure SpywareGuard was running. I went to the first two programs I could think of that are spyware-ridden: KaZaA and DivX. Did this on the other computer, just in case - and I'm glad I did.

I used Internet Explorer for the downloading, because I knew it had the most support by SpywareGuard for spyware blocking. Both programs downloaded, and both installers ran without any warning from SpywareGuard. Kept clicking Next to install each - and both installed. Including all the adware. But still, no warning or blocking. And Ad-Aware/Spybot both found loads of spyware after those installs (as I expected).

So, my question: What am I doing wrong? I mean, I installed a completely up-to-date freshly-downloaded version of each spyware-prevention program; immediately updated the spyware definetions after install; turned all features of SpywareGuard on, and made sure it was running. Yet both installers download, run and install everything, like neither adware program was ever installed in the first place.

2. UZ64

UZ64 Guest

Anyone?

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi,

Javacool and/or other tech experts are welcome to correct me, but I suspect what you're running into is similar to the behavior of some firewalls, particularly some of the older ones.

Those will protect you against "sneak attacks", but won't over-ride a specific and deliberate choice on your part to download specific items.

Best,
    Mike

4. UZ64

UZ64 Guest

Not sure I completely understand what you mean. If I understand correctly, you're saying that if you choose to download something it won't stop you. But during the install, I expected it to catch the spyware as its files are being copied. After all SWGuard runs silently in the system tray, scanning something. So far, SpywareGuard has only caught a few spyware-related activities - and they all had to do with Internet Explorer's Home Page option being changed. What's more, they were almost all false alarms: I went in IE's options and changed the home page myself. Only once or twice it actually was being changed by an installation program.

Oh well... from the download page, I thought it made sense on how the two programs worked... but I've come to the conclusion that I don't know what they're doing. In this case... I'm not sure yet if it's worth having anything more than Spybot and Ad-Aware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.