Just installed Ubuntu 11.04 and have a few questions/ issues

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Hungry Man, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I installed Ubuntu 11.04 64bit and am using Unity. I'm not messing with Unity since any time I do it screws up phenomenally. Not interested in Gnome.

So far I have three questions and one issue:

Question 1) What are the best security applications for Ubuntu? Not so much interested in an antivirus -- moreso in sandboxing applications.

Question 2) Is there any way to enable Aero Snap by hitting a key + direction key? I've only seen how to do it by dragging the mouse/ windows. I want it to act as it did in Windows.

Question 3) When I open a new Window it appears on the left side of the screen but the "doc" blocks it from going all the way to the left -- I have to drag it myself and hide the doc. Any way to have it automatically open to the right?

Issue 1) SOLVED

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. mvario

mvario Registered Member

I'm pretty much a n00b, but I'll throw out what I know...

1) the traditional way of hardening nix is with Mandatory Access Controls, usually either SELinux or AppArmor. Apparmor comes with Ubuntu, but it only has a couple of apps configured by default. There is a profile for Firefox but outside of a basic setup it needs to be configured. No GUI for either of these so you'll have to read about setting either up.

I have come across a couple of sandboxes, one is Sandfox which I haven't tried, the other is Arkose which I have played with a little. It's in active development and has a GUI launcher. Configuration is very minimalist. I tried it with Firefox, Opera, and Chrome. It didn't work for me with Chrome, but worked fine for Firefox and Opera.

2) No idea, sorry, I didn't like Unity so I jumped ship to Xubuntu. Don't know if it will help but if you middle-click on the maximize button it maximizes just vertically, and if you right click it maximizes horizontally.

3) If I come across anything I'll let you know.

Ah, mouseland, I know you can get a lot of stuff working by editing some configuration file, but I don't remember what it is offhand. If someone else can't come up with it I'll look around.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.