Just installed Ubuntu 11.04 and have a few questions/ issues

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Hungry Man, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I installed Ubuntu 11.04 64bit and am using Unity. I'm not messing with Unity since any time I do it screws up phenomenally. Not interested in Gnome.

So far I have three questions and one issue:

Question 1) What are the best security applications for Ubuntu? Not so much interested in an antivirus -- moreso in sandboxing applications.

Question 2) Is there any way to enable Aero Snap by hitting a key + direction key? I've only seen how to do it by dragging the mouse/ windows. I want it to act as it did in Windows.

Question 3) When I open a new Window it appears on the left side of the screen but the "doc" blocks it from going all the way to the left -- I have to drag it myself and hide the doc. Any way to have it automatically open to the right?

Issue 1) SOLVED

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. mvario

mvario Registered Member

I'm pretty much a n00b, but I'll throw out what I know...

1) the traditional way of hardening nix is with Mandatory Access Controls, usually either SELinux or AppArmor. Apparmor comes with Ubuntu, but it only has a couple of apps configured by default. There is a profile for Firefox but outside of a basic setup it needs to be configured. No GUI for either of these so you'll have to read about setting either up.

I have come across a couple of sandboxes, one is Sandfox which I haven't tried, the other is Arkose which I have played with a little. It's in active development and has a GUI launcher. Configuration is very minimalist. I tried it with Firefox, Opera, and Chrome. It didn't work for me with Chrome, but worked fine for Firefox and Opera.

2) No idea, sorry, I didn't like Unity so I jumped ship to Xubuntu. Don't know if it will help but if you middle-click on the maximize button it maximizes just vertically, and if you right click it maximizes horizontally.

3) If I come across anything I'll let you know.

Ah, mouseland, I know you can get a lot of stuff working by editing some configuration file, but I don't remember what it is offhand. If someone else can't come up with it I'll look around.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.