Just installed Terabyte's Image for Linux in Linux

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by bktII, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bktII

bktII Registered Member

Yesterday I downloaded Terabyte Unlimited's (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/) Image for Linux (IFL) product and installed it in both Windows XP and Fedora Core 5. I dual-boot these OSs on both my PCs.

For the Linux install, I just followed the directions in the readme.txt file and the IFL manual (*.pdf file). In Linux, it runs inside a terminal window as an application and has exactly the same look and feel as Image for DOS (IFD). The only complication, that is clearly described in the manual, was manually loading the edd module of the Linux kernel and adding a line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local to have the module load on startup.

I can view all of my partitions in IFL, including the NTFS/HPFS partition upon which Windows XP resides. As a test, I copied some files into my FAT32 shared partition, created an image and restored it. As one would expect with Terabyte's software, it worked flawlessly.

The Windows install is just like BootIT NG (BING) and IFD. Extract to a folder and use to create an iso for a bootable CD. I extracted the *.zip file to a folder but did not create a bootable CD as I already have one for both BING and IFD. But it is there if I ever need to.

I provide this notice and description for those who dual-boot Linux and Windows. In addition, it is a good option for those only running Linux as well. Although in the latter case, open-source partimage is a good option. Here is a link to partimage:

http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page

Please note that partimage support for NTFS is 'experimental'. Here is a quote from their web page:

"The NTFS (Windows NT File System) is currently not fully supported: this means you will be able to save an NTFS partition if system files are not very fragmented, and if system files are not compressed. In this case, you will be able to save the partition into an image file, and you will be able to restore it after. If there is a problem when saving, an error message will be shown and you won't be able to continue. If you have successfully saved an NTFS NTFS partition, you shouldn't have problems as you restore it (except in the case of bugs). Then the best way is to try to save a partition to know if it is possible. If not, try to defragment it with diskeeper or another tool, and try to saving the partition again.

bktII

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.