Just installed RegDefend...

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by TonyKlein, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Congratulations!!! Now it only gets easier ;) ...

2. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Allrighty! :) I'll just have a hard look at the keys and values already protected; that should clarify things...

Thanks again. I really like this app. It's FAST to react!

3. TonyKlein

Nuther question (yes, I do keep you guys busy... )

Every time I launch IE, RD warns me that IE is trying to delete the (nonexisting) Googldcclient reg value in the HKCU Run key.

Now do I understand correctly, that if I allow it to always do that, that gives IE a "wild card" (yes.. :D ) to in the future delete/modify ANY other reg value it chooses?

If so, can this maybe in the future be fine tuned so that one can allow just one particular reg value to be deleted/modified?

Attached Files:

• RD.gif
      RD.gif
      File size:
      20.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 23, 2005
  4. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Tony,
    It actually gives permissions to the application(s) for the group that the entry is in (the "AUTO STARTS" registry group in this case)
    The way to achieve what you want and be precise about it is to create a new group and call it "AP IE Specific" (so that it sorts earlier than AUTO)
    Add your rule to the new group and add IE as an APO (Application Permissions Override) in there as well

If you write the rule to be very specific and just match what you have been alerted on then the wildcard match in "AUTO STARTS" will take take of everything else

Group design is a key thing to consider in regdefend because everything that is grouped together becomes exposed at the same time when an APO is created
    The way I am approaching it is that anything that requires an APO is moved out of a common group into a new one so that things are still tightly specified

Regards

5. TonyKlein

You, my friend are a genius! :D

Granted, I've only had RD installed for half a day, and I may not have read the manual thoroughly enough, but nowhere I saw any mention of group priority...

It works perfectly.. thanks heaps!

Last edited: May 27, 2005
  6. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

A new RegRun ghost file has been posted and you may get it HERE. This should fix all problems with multiple accounts and fast user switching.

7. TonyKlein

Yes I saw that, thanks! :D I also noticed you included the BHO key. Very useful indeed!

I really like this application. It's like RegProt on steroids. LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.