just being curious here.. the general thoughts on cis 4.1..

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i know some hate it and some love it. i have to say its a LOT better than it used to be.. at least last time i tested it.. and i know about the whole mrg thing.. so what are the general thoughts on it around here.. im just curious. the current av missed something on me today imo it should not have and im not very happy at this point and time. im sure ill get over it and i know they all miss something and none are 100% but it was something it just imo should not have missed at least in my eyes. so im not saying im switching but keeping my options open and possibly looking. no a vs b just solid thoughts on comodo. they were nice enough to give me a couple complete lic's and i am testing it. thanks

2. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

3. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Going by your avatar, your current av means avast! right? Yeah, its a fact of life, they all miss something at some point, and make us wonder if we should switch. Most people here at Wilders are very very unforgiving when it comes to the detection rate of AVs. When major test results are in, there comes the avatar-change season at Wilders. As for avast!, I think its the most well engineered and well presented AV. Its like a MacBook Pro in its slickness. All they need to do is work a bit harder on the detections.

My rant aside, I tried CIS 4.1 fairly recently and it performed really well. I am still not sure how they give this thing out for free. If I would have been interested in using a third-party firewall, I would have definitely continued with CIS. Two gripes though - that tray icon animation is horrible, and I could not get ICS to work when running CIS.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  4. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Maybe you need CSI to get ICS to work with CIS! :D

5. zfactor

yeah there are some things i like about it but more i dont like. i just guess i needed that little bit of re assurance from others that fealt the same way. avast let something through on the wife's system and of course i cant do much with it being 64bit no boot time scan, behave didnt see it etc..just a bit annoyed. i think if i end up switching it will most likely be back to nis2011 when it comes out..

thanks

6. burebista

burebista Registered Member

I'm pretty happy with it at home and at work. AV is not amazing but coupled with FW, D+ and Sandbox should keep your clean computer clean. :)

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Was a crap AV produced by a borderline-shady company that had a clown for a CEO last I looked at it. What's changed?

8. burebista

burebista Registered Member

For you nothing. :D

9. Eice

Eice Registered Member

How do you know that, when I'm still quite unaware of the objective changes that have happened (if any) during the past year or so?

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hmmm..., it's clear that you don't like Comodo anyway.

11. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Because of misses I've switched from Avast to Avira to Gdata to Symantec to Kapersky to NOD to OA++ to CIS to Avast to Avira.....

I think I've spotted a trend!

12. stratoc

stratoc Guest

lol :D

13. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Comodo AV has improved a lot, but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter if it misses something, because it will never pass through D+ and Sandbox anyway.

14. gery

gery Registered Member

incidents have happened though
    but you are right at 99% i guess

15. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Their AV portion is portrayed as bad, but it actually has a very good detection rate and has great 0-day detection rate. In the off chance that you found a virus from the 13% that it missed, Def+ would certainly pick up on it, and if it didnt it would automatically be sandboxed for being an unrecognized program so its almost impossible to get infected.

16. 031

031 Registered Member

I have been using the firewall with D+ and i am very satisfied. Had to train it for few days and now it does not bother me with pop-ups. Antivirus , behavior blockers, cloud scanners bla bla bla.... can never provide full-proof protection but a powerful HIPS with proper rules and a smart user can easily do that. Online armor is my favorite one but have to admit that comodo is doing really rally good. Ok i just concentrated on D+. What about the sandbox ? how good is it ?

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I actually really want to try it but i'm scared my bro will get mad with me again :'( :'(

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Try it on a virtual machine.. You can use XP Mode as well (which is basically the same thing, but only Windows XP installed).

There's also dual-booting, but that's more complicated with Windows systems imo.

19. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Do it! You know that you want to try it. I really liked it when I was running it for 2 weeks. Its nice to know that when my OA and EAM licenses run out that I can start running CIS again.

20. zfactor

i have been trying it for a few days with a few issues. overall not to bad but it def did slow down my system. web browsing was fine boot up was def slower, and most other things like extracting a rar file etc... also it kept sandboxing things that i know are fine. my touchpad drivers and things like that that were for sure legit things.. pop ups were not at all as bad as they used to be...guess im just not a fan of the default deny thing. it seems they need a MUCH LARGER white list of programs for that to work out for me.

21. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

yeah just report the software thats safe to be whitelisted.

22. zfactor

yeah i know but from reading their forums they seem very slow to add them. and these were widely known programs. i mean come on alps drivers?? how many laptops come with alps... i know synaptics is more popular but a lot still use alps...its not that i think its a bad program. its def not the worst i know of.. just still imo needs some work before i would use it daily. i do give them credit though for giving this away for free..

23. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Ive never even heard of ALPS in my 10+ years with computers.

Add those programs to your "My Own Safe Files". That will remove them from the sandbox. You can also check the box that allows programs with digital signatures as long as the vendor is on the safe vendor list. That way any program from that vendor will be considered safe automatically as long as it is signed digitally.

24. zfactor

alps is probably one of the only other touchpad manufactures than synaptics. toshiba and hp/compaq use them a lot on their notebooks more budget notebooks and ive seen them on a number of netbooks..

and while i can add those myself... not something the wife and my daughter will do. she will ignore the message and just allow the to run sandboxed and that way it did not allow all the touchpads multi tap and scroll features to work.. just using that as a example

btw: http://www.alps.com/

25. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

So,for a better protection,that option has to be ticked or...?Opinions?Thanks.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.