just a little story...

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Longboard, Sep 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I have been lucky so far in that I had used Terabyte apps with success and had no problems, then installed FDISR and there seemed to be an almost perfect blend for my humble needs: all smooth sailing..

HAd (against most advice I suspect) used registry cleaners, and, as part of rejigging partitions had been shrinking and imaging and moving and reloading with BING:shrinking partition ;for smaller image file; physically moves data blocks on partition.

Then 5 weeks ago I went to create a new snapshot in FDISR to fool around in and S##T;
    >2000 errors :gack: :eek: .

Ok, able to boot back to primary,remove reboot reinstall (the three "R' s" of computing) and go again. OOOPPPSSS same 2000 errors relating to registry.

E-mail to Raxco: nice non-confrontational congenial exchange of data logs given new copy of ISRCopy.exe repeat, same errors.

Dream run over, thinks I.

Over the subsequent three weeks I and raxco support exchange mail 2x/wk with logs and revised copy engines no success.

After last failure,I then had to take a break from www for work/family/holiday, came back to find enquiry as to my wellbeing and where I was up to, and did I want to keep going?

Reinstalled new copy engine and success!
    No errors on creation of new snapshot.

Here is message from developer (have permission to reproduce this), doesn't mean all that much to me. I asked for explanation in easy to understand terminology LOL:
    AND;From me to Raxco:

Response:
    Conclusions:
    1: my box is so damaged I need special edition of ISRCopy.exe LOL
    2: Raxco support rocks.

Regards

PS I wonder whether this type of scenario is why Raxco is being "slowish" with update as they consolidate their experiences to date.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Longboard

Shades of my joy. I had to many files in my root directory and that caused rollover failure in any new snapshots. It took them two months of sending me test stuff, and me sending back logs to figure it out.

Yep Raxco Techsupport really rocks.

Pete

PS I also just use registry cleaners with much care, and manually select what gets touched.

3. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I got interested in Registry Cleaners after Erik Alberts recent quest for a sutible one. Long story short, I didn't find "one", but I've been using several: Eusing, RegScrub, Registry Mechanic, RegSeeker, JV16 & RegCure*.
    I go over every file individually and put ANYTHING related to ISR on the exclude list. Knock Wood, I haven't had any problems w/ FD-ISR. Except when I missed a file dealing w/ FD-ISR, then it was simply a matter of re-installing the app.

Moral of this story: Don't screw w/ FD-ISR.

*= Excellent

...screamer

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I am not using any Raxco products atm.

But from what I've read about their support here & elsewhere.

I'd say Raxco is 1 in a million. :D

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

:thumb: You are right. I have a new machine, and there is a screwy thing that relates to nvidia drivers: when I do an offline defrag, instead of the blue screen I get a blank screen. It is apparently a known issue. Offline defrag still works, I just don't see it.

I called Raxco, and telling them I know it isn't Perfect Disk, asked if they had any reports of anything similiar and what it was. Susie said she thought they had, and would check. Next morning I got an email saying they'd had 3 reports and all were video driver related.

Now this is outstanding service in my book.

Pete

6. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

Interesting.....

I've been busy playing with BING and FD-ISR this weekend.
    I decided to install BING into a 32MB partition at the beginning of my C:drive so I could multiboot.
    Shifted existing Windows XP installation up a bit using Acronis DD prior to installing BING - see thread
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=133555
    and hey presto .... FD-ISR errors all over the shop.
    I wonder is this the cause of my problems with BING/ FD-ISR as this was a largely 'clean' XP install with no use of Reg cleaners or even Perfect Disk?
    Thanks Longboard- more food for thought.
    Not sure I want to reproduce it again!:rolleyes:

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

You are correct.

I deleted my post.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  8. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

Not really - as I'm seeing a similar problem to Longboard
    That is unless this thread is just to praise Raxco/FD-ISR without trying to work out why sometimes thet programs don't work..

Thanks

I've got so much to learn particularly with regard to FD-ISR and partitions and its just really helpful to find out how or why its gone wrong for other people and occasionally 'steal' a few crumbs of knowledge from people like Peter2150 , Longboard and yourself

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  9. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@L Bainbridge
    Hmm
    Cant speak re Acronis as I've never used it.
    I had manipulated partitions with BING from floppy as noted for imaging purposes and general maintenance: this may well mirror your problem.

From Raxco:
    Moving data blocks with BING or PM or ADD may well give FDISR heartburn ??
    There must be some specifics with respect to position on the disc?

LOL
    Yes and yes. :ouch:

Hopefully all our experiences will result in a better utility. FDISR seems to have proven itself so far.
    "you are only as good as"...your last recovery! ;)

Despite ease of use and VERY good support, like every other utility we have, FDISR has to prove itself every day and in every scenario.

I still regards IFW/BING as my cornerstones.
    Feel v.happy and safer having FDISR as extra option, and has been shown, has real usefulness.

Have been meaning to test whether I can reproduce same error by shifting with BING.
    Happy to have had solution, forgot to (and no time recently) test solution.

Will post back after testing: new images, new archives, defragging, registry cleaner: together and in sequence. o_O

Regards.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.