Junk files erasers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zoriv, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoriv

zoriv Registered Member

What is the best junk files eraser?

2. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Re: Threads in forum:pull

Eraser
    www.heidi.ie/eraser

for searching junk and deleting... crapcleaner
    www.ccleaner.com
    does additional stuff too.

3. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

i like ace utilities, ccleaner, and mru blaster. ace being my favorite, ccleaner and mru blaster are good to have on hand, especially since they are free!

4. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

is ACE free?

5. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:

Attached Files:

6. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

hahaha, sry no13 never saw your post. wording kinda came out wrong in mine. anyways, like slammer said, ace has a 30-day trial and is $30 to buy. i use and purchased ace, and i keep ccleaner and mru blaster around because those two are free. that's what i meant! :D sry.

7. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi all
    A very strange cleaning prog called "DustBuster"
    http://www.casperize.com/dustbuster/dust_en.htm
    I decided to give it a go(bearing in mind that I used it after running "ccleaner"). Its first small window reads
    next, another small scanning window
    No user interactive, no list showing files, no what kind of files is going to delete, no idea at all about deleting. It deletes whether you like it or not, you dont have other choice.ONEWAY ONLY. at the end of the process a small window popped-up stating
    1616 files deleated
    782Mb "Freed"
    That's it. Very very strange!!!

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Definitely not a program to use.

9. hadi

hadi Guest

Evening Ron
    Definitely not. I have an XP-Sp2 installation just for testing equipped with office+PSP+photoshop+ etc(to see the affect of the tested prog). Thats why.

10. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) A ways back I used the trial version of a product called System Mechanic. It was very good, however at the time rather expensive to purchase, or at least for me it would have been, however some of you may wish to check it out. I think it can be obtained from "major geeks".

Thanks
    Wildman
    o_O :eek: :D

11. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

CCleaner & Ace Utilities are excellent.

From time to time, I also use HDCleaner (it's free) because it has a DLL usage scan, PLUS junk files clean-up, registry clean-up, plus lots of other stuff. A VERY versatile & powerful program. Exercise judgment when using it. Get it from...
    http://home.tiscali.de/zdata/mainpage_e.htm

13. Spyros

Spyros Registered Member

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I use EasyCleaner once and awhile and I use CCleaner for daily cleaning.

I like CCleaner alot and it was the first solution for keeping my cookie directory clean, the way I wanted.
    To hell with all these cookie softwares. After hearing so many complicated solutions for handling cookies in the past, I finally found CCleaner.
    It keeps the cookies, I really need and it deletes the rest of cookies, including tracking cookies after each reboot WITHOUT bothering me.

Simplicity is always brilliant, that's what CCleaner is.
    I like software that is able to hide its difficult job behind the screens and is simple on the frontside.
    No wonder why CCleaner is so popular amongst typical users. You don't need to be a genius to work with CCleaner, although CCleaner could be improved.

15. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Ccleaner could be improved :) off course it can .. but it's brilliant in his simplicity.. free too :D so it's all good .. ;)

16. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

For those who don't know, there is a new version of CCleaner :
    CCleaner v1.20.118, which can be downloaded at this link :
    http://www.ccleaner.com/update/?v=1.19.108&l=1033

I installed the new version over the old version and it works.
    Even the installation is simple :)

17. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Yep, exactly same here. ;)

Eraser for deleting sensitive files with multiple passes.

Ccleaner for general temp etc. Although with a single or a few files marqueed, a very simple right click and choosing Eraser to immediatley delete is often what I do.

Cheers, TAS

18. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Re: Easy Cleaner, I have read a few posts on various forums recommending this software. I have Registry First Aid (Rose City software) which I have used from the outset upgrading each time. I intend to keep it for cleaning after uninstalls as I feel I know what it is doing (well as far as any reg. cleaning software can be in safety levels)

Would Easy Cleaner compliment RFA and not conflict giving me the opportunity to clean a little more of the day to day rubbish than I would clean with RFA considering I really only use that for after uninstall cleaning?

Thanks for any advice as I have dithered about this software and now I see it mentioned again I thought it was the time to ask.

19. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

20. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I use CleanCache v3.0 ( http://www.buttuglysoftware.com/ ) - requires the .net framework and only works on W2K/XP (freeware)

TracksEraserPro v.5.3 - $29.95 USD, works on all Windows' OS's: http://www.acesoft.net/

CCleaner v1.20.118 - http://www.ccleaner.com/ - works with all Windows OS's (freeware)

Just before shut-down for the day,(after running all three of them with CC and TEP set to do multiple over-writes when erasing), I also run Index.dat Suite v.2.8.6: http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&p=index.datsuite to get rid of all index.dat's on all profiles. Works on all Windows' OS's as long as you have VB6 runtime files installed for the earlier ones. (Freeware).

Since CCleaner and IdS don't do multiple erasure passes on what they find, I run a free-space wipe (3X) with Eraser ( http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ ) nightly (it's a scheduled task). HTH Pete

21. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

The ideal cleaner in my view must do the following

1) Option to secure deletion

Eraser does this very well. So does Cleancache.

2) By default a good preset database of cleaning options that cover MRUs, browser settings (index.dat and various browser related settings for firefox,Opera), Temp files, logs and folders created by windows and typical common programs.

Cleancache does this well for files and logs, Mrublaster for MRUs, cleancache does this well for browser settings.

3) Allows customised files and registry keys (for mrus) to be cleared. CClean does this but could be better. Ditto for Cleancache

4)Allows cleaning to be set at different times (on browser shutdown for browser cleaning, on windows startup, on windows shutdown etc.)

None meet all my requirements, so I use a combo like most here.

22. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Like many, I've used a combination of "cleanup" utilities over the years. In Win9x days, before the advent of these more sophisticated utilities, it was common to set up .bat and .reg files to automate tasks, such as delete the temp folder files, merge null values into the MRU lists, etc.

While cleanup utilities are nice, for me, they became just another layer of "stuff" to mess with and take up time.

When I saw what a program like Deep Freeze can do, I got rid of all my cleanup utilities - a reboot each day cleans out anything written to C:\

C:\ never requires any maintenance - scan disk or defrag - since all changes are wiped on reboot.

I've become lazy - I just don't want to be a slave to my computer!

-rich

23. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Rmus - That's all well and good, but everything you've run in "frozen" mode is still recoverable, forensically. Guess you knew that, though. Pete

24. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

If data written to temp, MRU and recent lists, etc., were sensitive, and I was concerned that someone might subject my HD to forensic analysis, I would probably employ other measures :cool:

-rich

25. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i use ccleaner which has been mentioned numerous times. its very fast and can also clean ur registry. another program that i use is window washer it can clean numerous programs (mostly via plugins) and menus. it can also wipe ur hard drives.

heres the link for the previous poll, if ur interested: Best Cleaner Program?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.