Jotti Results

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by controler, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flaw()

Flaw() Guest

Yes!, thats the way to go Jotti.

2. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

Thanks for putting the stats back up jotti.

3. controler

controler Guest

Hello all

I just wanted to mention that I had not posted the results to start any flamming. In fact I have only used the Jotti site a few times. I think the first was 2 or 3 weeks ago when I had posted in another thread, I was getting e-mail with a nasty and not many were catching it. This time I cheacked the sample once , then noticed IbK's or someones posting on how one submission was not accurate, so I went back and resubmitted the sample more times with same results.

Then I read that is is Linux based ans therefor flawed if subnitting with a windows machine. I also read some don't have all setting to max because of this. I didn't know that because I could swear, the site mentioned all settings were to high. IBk explained f-prot & no unpacking so that explains that AV. It appears most work fine and are indeed set to high or they would not have picked it up.

I am not one of the ones promoting any certian brand AV. These days almost all the AV's have come so far that the only difference is in how soon the update their DEF's.
    I am sure there are more people here that collect samples then will admitt to it LOL

You will not see me affraid to post on AV, AT ect that most here don't like for one reason or another.
    If you look back on posts I made a few years ago, you will see me mentioning Lockdown ( Now Hackerilliminater ) Norton ect.

And No I am not one to submitt a sample that they don't catch and then keep going back everyday on every hour to see how fast the AV's update their DEF's. Which might not be all bad. ;)

Thank you for informing me of Virus T's site though.

As always thanks, I learned some new things from this thread.

controler

4. DjMaligno

DjMaligno Hispasec/VirusTotal

VirusTotal is not a service for 'virus collection'. We developed it as a way to 'keep watched' AV engines in a 24/4 basis. We're an ITSec company, not individuals simply wanting to collect malware. The only gain we get from it is knowledge about engines used, and the permission we get from AV companies to use their engines includes the clause of not using it for profitable ends. Is is public known that nobody except the vendors participating in the project can receive samples from the site, and if a user don't want their samples to be distributed, they also have that option (we have had some complaints about that feature from certain vendors). Anyway, I don't really know why I even hesitate posting this... we believe that our service is useful for people, and is financed with our own resources.

5. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

I would assume they would complain since it makes it so much easier for malware writers to make sure heuristics won't detect their newest code.
    I can only see that useful for "testers." And for some reason I think malware writers greatly outnumber freelance testers (who may or may not actually benefit anyone else at all).

6. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.