Jetico v. 1 and Skype

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by SamSpade, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

Hello again, all,

I'm having problems again with Skype (v. 3) sound quality while using Jetico v. 1: the sound it breaks up, very choppy.

This did not happen with other firewalls I've used (Comodo, Symantec, ZA) but it's happening with Jetico v.1

I am not a rules-making person (yet) and prefer to keep things that way. I'm too pressed for time at the moment to get into all that.

If somebody knows how to set up Jetico 1 to work well with Skype, I'd be much obliged if you would tell me. Even it is a rule set that I can copy and paste, I'm willing to try it.

Thanks,

Sam

//

2. SamSpade

Nobody using Jetico 1 has had *any* problems with using Skype?? Am I the only one?

Maybe it's not the FW, but I cannot think of anything else. I use nod32 and it is not slowing Skype down; I already checked.

Help, please, if you can!! :gack:

3. poirot

poirot Registered Member

4. SamSpade

Thanks, Poirot. When you say "according to manual", what exactly do you mean?? I've used Jetico 1 on two occassions. The first time (last mid-summer) it worked with no problem (I think), but sometime after the second time I installed it (two months later) I noticed the Skype problem.

The first time I did just a default install. No tweaks or special rules whatsover, just pure default. When the dialogue box came up to make a rule I just gave "trust" to those applications I knew were good.

The second time I decided to be more restrictive, so I gave "trusted" to very few apps. Almost none.

Anyway, do you have a rule-set I can see?

//

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Download the manual
    I have no experience with Skype, sorry :(

6. poirot

poirot Registered Member

SamSpade, as Lucas1985 surmised, i really meant 'if you did not do anything against the rules outlined in the manual', although you wont find much related to your problem or to solve your problem there.

To check if you did things right with Jetico you have to Search for and check all the many posts by Stem,who taught us all how to properly use this firewall.

I dont have a special ruleset i can offer,i dont think that's possible with Jetico,probably only basic guidelines. I could pm you my ruleset for you to evaluate,if we have the same kind of programs,but even so it could be problematic.

For the time being i can show you how Skype-Jetico were set in the Skype forum,to which you can refer as well for info,if the following is not good enough for you:

Attached Files:

7. SamSpade

Thanks. 1. Where is the "Skype forum"?;
    2. How do you set up those parameters you are showing in your post here? I mean, where do I go to set up them? I am looking at my Jetico Configuration Explorer, but it does not show anything like what you are showing.

I may have to bail on jetico and go back (reluctantly) to the heavier and slower Comodo fw.

//

Anyway, thanks for your time, Poirot.

I went back to Comodo, out of desperation. But the problem still remains. Must be some conflict between Skype and my sound system. Doesn't appear to be the firewall.

Does someone know about Skype's common conflict problems? I've been to their site but it's rather sparse.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  8. SamSpade

Anyway, thanks for your time, Poirot.

I went back to Comodo, out of desperation. But the problem still remains. Must be some conflict between Skype and my sound system. Doesn't appear to be the firewall.

Does someone know about Skype's common conflict problems? I've been to their site but it's rather sparse.

9. poirot

poirot Registered Member

I'm sorry i cannot help you at this moment as i would like, i am very pressed for time. If in a day or so you're still interested let me know,perhaps by pm.
    Perhaps someone else can help you better now.

10. SamSpade

After spending 10 hours on this, and after switching to another firewall, with no improvement, my conclusion is that my internet traffic speed has been slowed to a crawl by limited bandwidth.

This is the first time in my life of seeing this kind of squeeze of net speed coming down, so I need to check with my internet provider to see what can be done.

Thanks to all who offered their suggestions, Poirot and Lucas, in particular.

Addendum: After checking my internet speed over several hours today, it seems that there are (few) moments when I am at the speed I should be getting, about 120 kilobits/sec (I know it's pretty lame, but it's par for where I live, kind of "middle tier" of broadband service); yet I am most often getting speeds in the 40 to 80 range. So, I'm going to have to have a talk with my i.s.p. tomorrow.

//

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.