Jetico making me crazy.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by aigle, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Some programs will only require "Access to network" and not require any internet connection, so if you are unsure as to if the program asking for "network access" will require internet, then yes, that would be correct. Now, in Jetico1, you can, for programs such as "Browsers" (IE, firefox, etc), or updaters for your AV etc, select the "Handle as"-> Web Browser. This will allow the program "Access to network" and allow internet access to any IP with remote ports 80(HTTP) and 443(HTTPS). This is the basic connections for your browser, and is normally all that is needed for updating your AV etc. Some updaters will use FTP. You will know if this is needed as the program will attemp to connect to remote port 21(FTP), if a popup shows this remote port, then you can "Handle as"-> FTP client.

Eample of "Handle as" -> web Browser

The popups from Jetico will show what remote port is trying to be connected to.

The remote port/IP is on the remote PC/server, the local port/IP is your port/IP

The remote address is the IP, this is shown in the format xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and the remote port is a number between 1 and 65535.

As above, but the address/port is yours.

One thing to watch for, when an outbound connection is attempted, it will normally always connect out to the same remote port, but the local port can/will change, when an inbound connection is attempted, it will normally always connect in to the same local port, but the remote ports can/will change.

2. vhick

vhick Registered Member

so sir if yu make a rule, if outbound, you give a "any" in local port and and put a specific port in remote port. and vise versa in inbound?

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi vhick,
    Basically yes. Normally for outbound I would place a "port range", really just to stop any of the lower reserved ports being used. I would, for example place a local port range of 1024-4999 for the outbound on browsers etc.

4. vhick

vhick Registered Member

ahhhh....ok!

i think i will love jetico for this....

thanks for all help sir! and thank in advance if another problem occur....;)

5. ktango

ktango Registered Member

Hi Stem

thanks for all help.

Merry Christmas!

6. webdevst

webdevst Registered Member

Yay! This is driving me nuts!

My case: I have a PC which is also Internet router. What I am trying to do is to make my Mac to get out to Internet via my PC. However, Jetico is blocking this action? What rule should I define, in order to have Internet on my Mac too?

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi webdevst, Welcome to Wilders,
    I have never tried to fully config Jetico onto a Gateway (ICS) PC, but there is some info here

8. max sekure

max sekure Registered Member

Thanks STEM and many others for all the help and knowledge. Follows are several questions that have been haunting me.
    1. (most importantly) Ive been struggling to get TOR, Privoxy, Vidalia bundle to work with Jetico. I choose "treat as TOR" rules, but it just keeps asking me whether to allow specific IPs and ports. Could somebody maybe make a ruleset and post please.
    2. Is there a way to group these rules together...for example when you have multiple ports that need access 9001-9004, 443, 80, 9100, 9030-9033.
    3. Vidalia asks for access to local port 9051, but nowhere i've found anything relating to this port for TOR.

Here are the TOR rules in case the answer to question #2 is no.
    http://www.mediamax.com/maxxxx44/Hosted/TOR Rules.bcf

Attached Files:

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi max sekure,
    I dont use TOR. But I need to ask, have you placed these rules within a seperate table and then placed the table into your optimal protection? (you can then place a "Handle as" jump to the ruleset.)

10. max sekure

yes, they were placed in the "ask user" subsection. And i keep telling Jetico to "handle as" but the same questions keep popping up

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

If you have placed the TOR rules into its own table, then these should not be in the "ask user". If you have simply placed all the rules within the "ask user" then you do not need to make a "Handle as" rule.

We can go through how to correctly set up a table, and where this is placed and called if you would like.

12. max sekure

Maybe this is my problem, i just placed that rule under ask user along with the other rules you posted..ex bittorrent, emule, and so on. That would be helpfull, please explain.

13. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The rulesets I have posted must be dragged and dropped to the current Optimal protection.

Attached Files:

• drag.gif
      drag.gif
      File size:
      10.1 KB
      Views:
  14. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

To create a new table for your "Tor" rules. Right click your Optimal Protection "root" and select "insert table". Right click the "New Table" and rename (this would be "Tor" in this case".) You can then drag and drop all your "Tor" rules into the "Tor" table.

Attached Files:

15. max sekure

I have done this and when i go to "handle as" the ruleset automatically goes under the ask user section in its own subset. With the same problem. It just relentlessly asks me the same questions. Sometimes, with different IPs and ports.

16. khazars

khazars Registered Member

Have you tried this link from wilders using paranoid's and others rulesets for Tor/Prioxy and proxomitron?

It is admittedly for outpost firewall but I used them and adapted them for this set up for Jetico/tor etc!

To be honest, this set up is slow as it uses many servers and slows down one's internet connection, I have successfully tried the recent JAP with proxomitron and it is a lot faster!

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55748

17. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I will install to see if I can find any problems.

EDIT:
    I have set up. I basically used the same ruleset as you have, but added outbound to remote port 9100. There are a lot of dropped packets as TOR is attempting inbound on local ports other than the one specified (9050), from various remote hosts. I have removed this setup.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  18. davidleu

davidleu Registered Member

Hey stem! Thank you very much for the rulesets posted in #307!
    They work fantastico for me! Im even successfully using the emule rule (with changed inbound ports) for bearshare!

19. Gesu`

Gesu` Registered Member

Hi all.
    I read all the thread to configure Jetico but unfortunately there are still some problems that I'm not able to fix, so I ask here if someone can help me.
    I can't configure Jetico to use Kad network in Emule: I used the ruleset made by Stem (thank you for everything, without you I would have never been able to configure Jetico :) ), but it didn't work, so I changed it a little to have more permissive rules but Kad network is still not working. Using Google I found other people having the same problem, but I could not find a good solution.
    My actual Emule ruleset is the following:

Action: accept
    Log Level: disabled
    Protocol: any
    Event: access to network

Protocol: TCP/IP
    Event: outbound connection
    Local Address: any
    Remote Address: any
    Local Port: 1024:65535

Event: inbound connection
    Local Port: 4665

Event: inbound connection
    Local Port: 4672

Event: send datagrams
    Local Port: any

Event: receive datagrams
    Local Port: any

Action: reject
    Protocol: any
    Event: any

The prolem seems to be in the default rule Block All not Processed Protocol Packets, under Protocols Table. Looks like Jetico does not recognize some packets to be generated/directed to Emule, and blocks them. Someone knows a good solution to solve this problem?

Thank you in advance :)

20. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Gesu`, Welcome to Wilders.

Have you set up the "Handle as" rule for "Emule" to jump to the ruleset?

When "Emule" is active, check: open Jetico-> Applications Tab. Is Emule able to listen on ports for inbound.

21. Gesu`

Gesu` Registered Member

Hi Stem!
    Yes, Emule uses the right ruleset, and infact I can use it with the ed2k network (with high ID), the problem is only with Kad: even if it connects to the network, all the clients icons are yellow, or red, when they should be green.
    I just connected to Kad and under Allications Tab, Emule is present with four connections (all listening), but as usual in the log I can see a lot of Blocked all not processed IP packets and Kad is not working...

(Ah, if I test the ports the page does not load, using Jetico, but I suppose this is the right behaviour, since the browser can't connect to those ports.)

Thanks again for all your help!

22. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I will install Emule to check.

update:
    I have installed emule, and connected to kad with no problem.(emule v0.47c)
    Have you any other applications that have network drivers installed?(or a proxy, or AV with proxy)
    You should also check for any update to your network drivers.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  23. Gesu`

Gesu` Registered Member

When you connected to Kad you checked that clients icons were green? And did you try the file search using that network? 'cause also here everything seems fine, but then I can't find any file on Kad, nor connect to other clients...

I've no other AV or proxy enabled, and I'm not behind a router. If I shutdown the firewall everything works fine.
    As I said I think that the problem is in the fact that Jetico does not recognize some packets, and I found other people with the same problem...

If nothing work, I'll see if I can find an update to the network drives... hoping that this will fix the problem...

24. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The icons on Kad are (on this emule) either red-orange-yellow. I can search Kad and connect to other Kad clients to download with no problems.

25. Gesu`

Gesu` Registered Member

Well, I suppose there's something wrong in my configuration... if Jetico is enabled I can't find anything on the Kad network, and in the log I find a lot of lines like this:

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/374/jeticolognb1.th.png

I've really no idea how I could solve the problem... Since the destination port is the 4662 (even if in the Emule options I set it to use 4665 and 4672), I cloned the rule to accept inbound connections but, as I supposed, nothing changed...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.