Jetico leaves ports open ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Banshee, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

folks,

I installed jetico and went to grc.com to test it, for some reason grc claims port 1025 is open. I also went to pcflank for another test and there, the results showed port 135 and 1025 open.

any idea how to close those ports with jetico ? I really don't understand what's causing this. I should also point out that when I first installed jettico the "system" asked for inbound access to port 445..I didn't know what to do so I blocked it. :doubt:

any help appreciated

2. Jazzie1

Jazzie1 Registered Member

Hi, you have to create a rule to block port 135 (rpc) and I believe 445 (MS DS service) which is used for shares. For some reason Jetico didn't create a 'block all other ports and protocols' rule, most likely for the people that need those ports. But, they should have given users a choice... I tried it for a week and found it to be a good fw. But was a little concerned with the 'Optimal' rule set not blocking all other ports and protocols not currently being used. Especialy if you are on a DMZ or a stand alone workstation... Creating a rule for those ports is easy, just create a rule in the system networking section to 'reject' the packets on those ports you mention. Overall, a good fw that I will keep my eye on.

CU
    Jazzie

3. Banshee1

Banshee1 Guest

Re: Jetico leaves ports open: and port 1025 ?

hello Jazzie,

thanks for your response. How did u block port 1025 ? did u make a rule for that too ?

tia

4. Jazzie1

HI Banshee, that is the odd part! I didn't have to make a rule for that port. I am normally behind a spi router. I wanted to test Jetico in a 'real time' enviornment and placed myself on a DMZ without any filtering . That is where I was getting slammed with 135 and 445 inbound attempts. If you want to make a rule for that port just go to the system network side and make a rule to block (reject) inbound tcp on a single port of 1025. It should work fine...

I am currently back to CHX-I. (very good SPI packet filter).. So I can't export a rule to you...

CU
    Jazzie

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I like it too and will follow it as it changes. Right now they still seem to be making a lot of changes and fixes to it, so I'll probably wait till things settle down a little before looking at it further..

6. Jazzie1

I hear you that! They are making good progress though...

CU
    Jazzie

7. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Banshee

Windows Worms Doors Cleaner by gkweb a Expert Firewall Tester will close them:- WWDC

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.