Jetico Firewall v2.1.0.12

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by wat0114, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

2. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

It's aliveeeeeeeee!! This is one of the firewalls that I like using as it performs like the good old Sygate firewall.

3. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

You could always check out LnS.

Every time I tried Jetico I had nothing but issues.

4. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I've run into compatibility issues running JPF alongside some other AV/security programs, so I dropped it in favor of LnS. I wish the HIPS components were optional as that is what I think the source of my issues were from. Also seemed to have a higher constant I/O than LnS if I remember correctly. I was hoping for some bigger changes than Windows 8 compatibility. I miss the user friendly JPF 2 GUI though - IMHO it is still the best out there.

5. Ring0

Ring0 Registered Member

- always.

6. Disney

Disney Registered Member

Very good firewall !!

7. wat0114

They can be bypassed...

Attached Files:

8. 0strodamus

Those settings didn't work for me.

9. wat0114

You should see, for example with "Indirect Access to Network" bypassed, as shown in the screenshot. "ask" checkbox is cleared, followed by "accept" then "continue".

Attached Files:

10. 0strodamus

@wat0114: Thanks for taking the time to demonstrate how to bypass rules. I know how to do that and it did not alleviate the conflict issues I had with the software. The only solution that worked was to uninstall the firewall or the software it conflicted with.

I downloaded the latest version to play around with in a VM and I am getting an error that the software is not genuine. I downloaded twice and still get this error. Anyone else notice this?

jpfw.png

11. wat0114

Sorry, I hadn't realized you've been a veteran user of the fw, until I happened upon some older Jetico threads :)

Jetico can certainly cause grief with occasional inexplicable alerts that don't reflect the ruleset. It's happened to me at times, and I think it's because there is sometimes inter-process activity going on in memory that Jetico is alerting on, and I've found that shutting down/restarting the fw or even re-booting the computer will resolve the "phantom" alerts. It seems especially prevalent after making a significant ruleset change such as with group application rules.

As for the error you're getting, I have not seen that, but I'm using the previous version to the latest.

I've been using it on Windows 7 the past couple days, a revisit of sorts, and it seems to be working exceptionally well after more or less finalizing the ruleset.

12. 0strodamus

I'm glad it's working for you because it is an excellent firewall. It's also nice to have such helpful people in these forums. :thumb:

I've noticed the same inter-process weirdness that you described. I bypassed it due to the endless prompting. I also remember that one time I had to reset my ruleset back to default due to something I did that the firewall didn't like. That was a real pain, but it is nice that the ruleset is in easily edited XML (plus I had a backup of course).

I emailed Jetico about the "not genuine" error. Whatever they say, I'll probably be sticking with LnS for now.

13. 0strodamus

Just wanted to followup in case anyone else gets the not genuine error. The issue is that the Windows Root Certificates are not up to date. Jetico recently updated their signing certificate. Installing the latest update from Microsoft solved the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.