Jetico Firewall Setup???

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by lotuseclat79, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

The two times I have tried Jetico Firewall, I have (my default response) Allowed everything, and when I attempt to dialup my ISP (EarthLink), my system crashes. Is there a way to avoid this problem? Show me the way!

The alert messages from Jetico are either:
    1) ...starts application with hidden window, or
    2) ...access to network

and the Allowed entries are recorded in the Process Attack Table rather than, for instance, a Trusted Application Table.

I have installed my ISP's network IP server addresses in the Trusted Zone with Internet Zone empty.

After each crash, I revert to vendor defaults and reproduce the crash.

Granted, the Help file probably makes a great deal of sense to someone with low level firewall knowledge at the packet level, but I find the Help to not be very helpful in this matter.

Is this a known problem with Jetico Personal Firewall v1.0, dated 12 May, 2005?

Tia,

-- Tom

P.S. I was pleased to see that Jetico defaults included trusted system processes. I run WinXP Pro SP2, with PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005 AV w/PC-Cillin's firewall and network virus protection (part of its firewall capability) disabled, but its realtime scanner intact while attempting to run Jetico.
    P.P.S. Also, Windows Firewall is disabled.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  2. marceli7

marceli7 Registered Member

IMHO while disabled it still may be a problem. Don’t know.
    BTW I have no problems running Jetico configured without any trusted and all traffic configured inside policy.

3. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

I've had a system crash myself with an earlier version of Jetico, but not in the exact same situation as that of yours.

Do try to report this to the developers, if you haven't already.

My apologies I can't help you to debug the crash.

Thank you for letting us know. I'll stay away from Jetico for another few months if it can still bring down the whole system :(

4. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

It could be a conflict with something your running and Jetico's Process Attack Table. To find out try this:

- select the "Process Attack Table";
    - find the rule with "Ask" verdict;
    - in this rule change the "Ask" verdict to the "Accept"
    verdict.
    - make sure the log level is to "Alert"

Now try dialing up and see if it still crashes on you or not. If not in the logs it should indicate what program(s) was causing this problem. Write down the details such as the Event, Attacker, Application, ect. so that you'll have it to report to Jetico.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi dukebluedevil,

Thanks for the information.

I did follow up with Jetico, and got a return message.

After reinstalling Jetico, part of my setup is to disable the firewall that comes along with my AV. Apparently, the cause of the crash was that the process related to my firewall was still running, because when I killed it after reproducing the crash with "Automatic Restart" disabled to capture a BSOD message (never got the BSOD - just a black screen with text that flashed by for less than a second) I was able to successfully login to my ISP.

Jetico knows the details of my experience, and apparently are working on making the next release easier for the "common user" to adopt their product.

-- Tom

P.S. Forum needs a Problem Solved Thread Tool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.