jetico firewall freezes

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by fce, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fce

fce Registered Member

just install jetico firewall v2.0.0.31 its freezes everytime i start my computer.

any suggestion if i need to edit some setup?

2. fce

fce Registered Member

now i experienced bsod.
    maybe this is due to newly installed jetico firewall o_O

time to remove jetico?

3. lookcity

lookcity Registered Member

It was at least one year ago I used Jetico V1 and do not like the mass pop up .

Wish others can help you.:)

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello fce,

What is your OS? (Xp, Vista?)
    What is the error message on the BSOD?

5. fce

fce Registered Member

vista is my OS.

i dont know i did not read the message on the bsod.

anyway somebody advise me to "activate the first rule".

now i'm observing :rolleyes:

6. fce

fce Registered Member

pls advise how to allow jiteco firewall automatic update of NOD32 permanently.

i approved many times but still asking for permission to run.

thanks in advance

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I dont currently have vista installed. But will be setting up tomorrow on VM to check JPF2 with this OS.
    You will need 2 rules from popups. First on "Access to network", allow this. You will then recive a popup for internet access. Look at the popup, you will see a drop down menu, select handle as->"Web browser"

8. fce

fce Registered Member

from configuration-> optimal protection -> Application -> Ask User -> Access to Network -> then look for nod32krn.exe -> change log lebel to "disable or debug"o_O

can you check with this sir sterm if i do it right?

geez!!! this Jetico firewall is not for little boy, but i'm getting there :D

thanks stem!!!!

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello fce,

I do not normally use the default layout of JPF2. So I have re-installed default to check.

Jetico have now changed how "Access to Network" popup is handled: So,..
    First look through your rules and remove all rules for "nod32krn.exe".
    Then make a manual update of nod, you will be given a popup, select, Use Template-> "Web Browser",

nod.gif

10. fce

fce Registered Member

thats very informative!!! thanks!

can i use also that procedure to some of the program (example Superantispyware, bluetooth, vaio update, etc.) i want to automatically update without jetico asking permission?

btw, whats the effect of that "web browser" (in terms of firewall security) if i use that procedure to some of my program?

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Nod updates by HTTP(remote port 80), so giving nod "browser" access will allow the updates.
    Not all software will update by the same connection (such as nod via HTTP), some will use HTTP, some will use alternative or FTP. The easiest method is to make a manual update of each app, the popup will give certain info. The first popup will only show access to network, so if you are unsure how that app updates, then just select "allow" for this, then another popup will show for the actual internet connection. Check the info shown, if this shows a connectione to remote port 80, then selecting the template "Browser" will probably be correct, if the remote port shows as 21(FTP) then you would need to select template "FTP client" (as examples)

Such template as "Browser" will allow outbound for that application, as with any application, care should be taken, with such as nod, then there is no ploblem with allowing this outbound, it will be the same for most other AV/AM products,.. it is really a case of if you trust the application that is asking for the outbound.

12. fce

fce Registered Member

From reviews I knew it wasn't going to be a 'piece of cake' and would be very difficult to configure but felt I could rise to the challenge specially i have people like you stem :thumb:

alright another question: :D
    - when i try to block one pop ups (i think its google toolbar application), suddenly i cannot connect to the internet but my internet connection is fine. do i really need to start my computer just to connect again to the internet?

13. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

One of the problems with Jetico is that it does not actually stop/block such as injection/thread etc, it will only alert to such. So if you have a running application that will attempt indirect access via the browser, and you block this, then due to "chain" (running app->hook(whatever)->browser), Jetico will block the browser.
    This i will say, is not something I like, but this is how Jetico works.

Like, for example. I have a screen capture app running, this will make global hook. Some Hips will allow you to block this directly. Jetico see this, but will not block the loaded dll/hook/injection, so you either allow indirect access to the screen capture app or get blocked from internet access from the browsers that have been hooked/injected (untill the screen capture is disabled/gone from memory).
    You do need to look at this when using Jetico,... if you do not want such as "google toolbar" having access to internet, then remove/uninstall it.

14. fce

fce Registered Member

i removed jetico firewall in my computer :D

i dont want that hang-up/slow/freeze issue of jetico.

any suggestion what firewall will fit with nod32/sas pro/spywareblaster security program?

15. fce

fce Registered Member

anybody used latest version of jetico? just want to know if freezing problem (same as mine) already solved?

16. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Should be fixed in v2.0.0.32.

Regards,

Smokey

17. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

As we do not know as to what caused your "freeze", this could be a driver/service installed on your PC (not on others) that requires indirect access to run, so unless Jetico can scan/check for all drivers/services that require this, then I would personally be reluctant to say it should be fixed in this latest version.

18. fce

fce Registered Member

can you please look at my running process and advise me why i keep getting freezing problem with jetico firewall?

thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

19. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

HJT will only help with possible malware, it will not show what is blocked by JPFW( which is causing your reported problems)

20. fce

fce Registered Member

how about using Belarc advisor software?

(i'm trying jetico PF again, so far so good. no freez yet.)

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  21. fce

fce Registered Member

i think i good with jetico firewall. no freezing problem anymore :thumb:

btw, how can i allow Jetico Firewall to permanently allow network activity detected by Kaspersky Anti Virus7?

22. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Was this a clean/new install, or did you use rules from last installation?

Do you mean to allow KAV network access? OR, is KAV7 now intercepting attempted network access by other applications?(I have not looked at KAV7)

23. fce

fce Registered Member

stem,
    this jetico is new version i installed in my computer. i un-install the previous version that causing the problem.

Yes, KAV7 is now intercepting attempted network access by other applications. last time when i open yahoo messenger, jetico will pop up and ask permission to allow the program. now i can't see the program yahoo messager program asking permission, its all in the name of KAV/avp.

24. fce

fce Registered Member

please help how to create a rule in Jetico to allow TCP inbound/outbound for avp.exe

25. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

KAV does act as a local proxy for Internet access due to the web scanner. (I thought at first KAV7 may be giving a popup to other application Internet access attempts). There is info here concerning the needs of KAV Internet access.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.