Jetico configuration problem

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by sofarsogood, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sofarsogood

    sofarsogood Registered Member

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2006
    Posts:
    6
    Location:
    Beijing, China
    I have been using Jetico V.1 happily for several months. Last week I "cleaned up" my configuration file by deleting a bunch of entries in the "Ask User" table, and it stopped working - no outbound connections from any application. If I set it to "Accept All" and start an I/O, it continues to work even if I then set it back to "Optimal Protection", so apparently there was a problem setting up connections.

    I then saved by current setup and selected "reset to factory options" - and still have the same result! I didn't have this problem when I first loaded it.

    For instance, I now have opera handled as a browser. If I turn on logging and try to load a page there are no instances logged. Also, the traffic monitor shows 0 blocked packets.

    Can anyone suggest what I can do to get this working? I could reload a backup version that works, but I hate not knowing what is happening, and I have looked it over and there is nothing unexpected in the configuration. Could it be a windows update has changed something in the DNS lookup, perhaps?

    I am running XP SP2 and Jetico 1.0.1.61.

    Thanks for any suggestions,

    sfsg
     
  2. poirot

    poirot Registered Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2005
    Posts:
    299
    sofarsogood,did you try erasing everything inside the Configuration Wizard,then rebooting?
    Or,depending on the type of connection you have, flushing the DNS cache?

    I had a similar experience in the past when i used a config belonging to pc1 for my pc2, they ran the same programs ,but the wizard settings were slightly different=no way to get an internet connection until i realised about my mistake.
     
  3. Stem

    Stem Firewall Expert

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2005
    Posts:
    4,948
    Location:
    UK
    Hello sofarsogood,

    If the suggestion by "poirot" does not help.

    There is a possibility that your optimal config file as been corrupted. As you are now resetting to defaults, I would suggest:

    Disconnect from the internet. Exit Jetico, browse to your folder~ Documents and Settings / [user name] / Application data / Jetico personal firewall / 1.0, and delete the "Optimal.bcf file. Then re-boot. Open Jetico, and then "Revert to factory settings". This will then create a new optimal policy from the base config file.

    We would also need to check you connection type. If you are on dial up, then there can be a delay (problem) with Jetico picking up the DNS servers.
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.