Jetico blocks all DNS access

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by sofarsogood, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Registered Member

Help please! I have been getting along fine with Jetico until today when Avast reports a virus in bcfgenv.dll. I tested on Virustotal and no one else has a problem with it. However, now when Jetico runs, the checks in the DNS rules turn to the red exclamation points, and I cannot use the net. When I use "accept all" I can connect as usual, when using "Optimal" DNS packets are rejected as unhandled, so I cannot connect to anything.

I tried saving my configuration and then resetting to default, and the default configuration had the same problem. I can set the exclamation point to a check in configurations I am not using, but as soon as I enable it the check turns back to the red exclamation.

Then I tried uninstalling (which didn't go well) and reinstalling. It was the same result. I also tried downloading 2beta, and though I didn't find the analogous rule the result was the same.

So, I have now disabled it and am using Windows firewall temporarily. Any suggestions? Why are those exclamation marks there? I didn't change anything.

And, what is going on with bcfgenv? I guess it is OK because on the reinstall avast gives the same problem.

I am running XP pro, SP2. Thanks for your thoughts.

sfsg

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The DNS rules are bound to the "name server" which should be picked up by Jetico from your windows settings. The exclamation mark is there as your DNS server IP`s have not been picked up for some reason, but even so, you should be prompted for the connection.

First download a new copy of Jetico V1

Make sure you have uninstalled Jetico, and run a "registry cleaner", then make a new install of Jetico V1 (dont install V2 beta), and make sure you disable the windows firewall before the new install of Jetico V1

3. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Registered Member

Thanks very much. I tried this again, and this time everything worked.

The newly downloaded file was binary identical to the old one. It appears that Avast had a false positive on the dll file, I had to disable virus checking to make the load work. Once I did and avast downloaded the new database the virus report went away. Here are the results from virustotal.com, the first from this morning and the second from just now:

> Avast 4.7.844.0/20060907 found [Win32:Rbot-CCS]

> Avast 4.7.844.0/20060908 found nothing

So I think what was happening was that Avast was not letting the DLL run, which was causing problems. I appreciate the quick suggestions to my problem, and am glad there is a happy ending. (I loaded comodo this afternoon, but didn't like it so much. It left me more removed from what the firewall was doing.)

sfsg

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Good to hear :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.