Jetico 1 vs Jetico 2

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zorro zorrito, Nov 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zorro zorrito

zorro zorrito Registered Member

What are the diferences between these two version?
    (I know the second one runs like a service).
    Thank you!

2. poirot

poirot Registered Member

The difference might appear (to the layman) like this:

Jetico 1.0= very light,extremely configurable,flawless functioning,plenty of
    first class help over here.

Jetico 2.0= still a Beta (for a long time),very unstable,download and install
    only if you're
    a tek,an expert,a lover of abstruse puzzles and if you like to
    install-uninstall programs daily,if you can spend hours pondering
    about what do,etc.etc.....

Personally i'll make another try at Jetico 2.0 only ,and if, it'll be out of Beta.

3. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

I do agree about Jetico 1
    Jetico 2 has only been in Beta since August.
    Newest build is runnining very stable here, better than previous builds.
    It is highly configurable.
    You can compare the two here.

http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/jpfirewall.htm

Rick

4. Rostek

Rostek Registered Member

I'm not a "tek" or an expert, so my point of view is not-advanced home user point of view. The biggest differences IMHO are:
    1) Jetico 1 is much easier to configure and much user friendly, Jetico 2 is very complicated, like Poirot said.
    2) When I observed very high traffic (like several tens of blocked packets in one second) on port 8777 (maybe worm? On my providers page there was warning about some high traffic generated by worm), Jetico 1 used to make internet access impossible. I think, that Jetico v. 2 is able to block this "high traffic" unperceptible (like Sunbelt), because during one day of using it, I haven't seen any problems with that and. As I remember, similar situation happened. But: I'm not sure, if it was very similar situation. It looked similar to "Jetico 1 hanging situation" in logs, but I didn't compared them very carefully, like counting average number of blocked packets during "high traffic time".

(Forgive me my bad english)

5. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Well the main difference is that Jetico 2 is running as a service meaning that you are protected direct after the boot of your PC. Jetico 1 is loaded by explorer.exe, meaning that there will be a time with no firewall protection. This is by the way a problem of a lot of firewalls.

Jetico is defnetly not for beginners, but it is one of the advanced, secure and most configurable FF i have ever seen. Full control is the magic world. You can disable some functions like 'Attack control, 'Hash checking' which results in a lot less popups. I do so, because this task is doing SSM for me.

Neverless, if you don't know about whats going on on your PC, your are not able to read a FF log file in order to adjust rules i won't suggest to use Jetico 2. Stay with Jetico 1 or an alternative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.