Jetico 1.01.58 released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Arup, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

26. v. 1.0.1.58 Freeware, 7th April, 2005.
    Compatibility problem with TCPDump and Hamachi software solved. Main program window state properly saved now.

2. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Creature Arup,
    Thanks for starting a new Jetico Thread. The other one was getting really long and hard to follow :ninja: ;)

3. Are you gonna give it another try Arup...If you do...give a report back on
    what you think.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

JW,

Trying it right now, something about Jetico is so like Kerio 2.xx, actually the lure of it that it makes me go mad and discard my perfectly running Kerio 2.15 to give it a try everytime they update it. As an app control FW, it is quite light on resources and looks like they are improving it daily, this update was in a very short time frame. The program window state is truly fixed for now, at least on my system.

5. Is it still FW rules hell as I have been told ....or has it backed up some.

I shouldn't even be thinking about trying a new FW...thru some lucky combo of security apps, reg cleaners and tune up utility my PC is flying...like the day of a
    fresh install.

P.S. The first time you and No13 said JW it took me a while to realize it was
    me....HE HE HE

6. Arup

Arup Guest

The rules pop up but once set, doesn't ask for it again as it used to do in the earlier version. For you NetVeda looks to be a good option as it has almost all of Jetico's features plus some more.

7. Diver

Diver Registered Member

What I noticed in the earlier versions was many programs would get a pop up for "requesting network access" even if they did not ever connect out. Even more frustrating was that these warnings did not happen the first time the program was run. It seemed random. So I might run program Z 5 times until it asked for network access. This dragged out the configuration process quite a bit, and led to a greater feeling of uncertainty, akin to an AV false alarm, when dealing with the warnings. I would have to say it was Jetico and to a certain extent Tiny, that drove me to dislike application filtering.

8. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Problem with Jetico is that the network access prompt is used for two events:
    1) The program 'uses' a service/program that is capable of networking
    2) The program wants to access the network.

This has to be changed, because it is to confusing :eek:

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have to say I'm a little disappointed to see what they've changed in the last 2 releases. Virtually nothing. I was expecting to see some of the long needed/requested features and things changed like updating the hash values when you upgrade to a new app version of something, rather than creating a brand new rule each time for it, and some other mods. I'm afraid each new release doesn't inspire much excitement in me these days.. But it's still a pretty solid firewall as they go. I'm not knocking it, just disappointed in recent progress on it.. It's beginning to look like many have said, that the good stuff will appear in the pay version coming up sometime in the future.

10. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Is there any way to bypass the first of the two network access warnings by making a rule to "permit" for any application? I tried this a few releases ago, for some other function, and it did not work. There are some good things about Jetico, but I would need to tame it a bit before I could use it.

As for the lack of new features, I would not plan on it before a paid version is out. My prediction is they will work on getting the core right before any real improvements to the rule editor or password protection show up.

As far as the MD5 thing goes, for any app with complex rules, set up a table. That way only the rule that calls the table needs to be changed. Some folks hate the lack of the MD5 update thing, but personally I think it is only a minor annoyance.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I do have tables for anything with more than a rule or two. Works well and I like that feature.

I consider the hash update problem a minor irritation. It just means that you have to go into the rules periodically and delete older obsolete rules and clean up. It could easily be changed by Jetico.

12. shek

shek Registered Member

i agree with you. there is no updates interested to me since the 1.1.56. except the hash update problem, 1.1.56 version runs very well on my machine right now. i think there is no need to update to the latest version.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Doesn't appear to be any great need.. unless they've solved a specific problem you were having. I'm hoping to see some added features to try out sometime before a pay version. We'll see I guess... :)

14. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Haven't tried it. The explanation comes from Nail (Jetico support). He stated they were thinking about revamping the access-to-network system. I guess IF they do that, it will be in a new major release (and I think we have to pay for it).

I tried the last Jetico release, saw nothing exciting, and went back to LnS. I am not going to try this release, fixes are so minimal for me I don't wan't to go through all the hassle :D

15. Diver

Diver Registered Member

We can speculate all we want on when Jetico will go paid, but if my theory is right the network access issue will get fixed before it goes paid as it has more to do with the underlying engine. The cosmetic stuff will wait for the paid version.

LnS is definitely different from anything else out there. Kind of like an inbound packet filter separate from an outbound application filtering module. The two are connected by a common GUI and a feature that allows a rule to be active only when designated programs are running. I doubt traffic on the ports in question is limited only to the program that activates the rule as with most other application aware firewalls, but it does allow server ports to be stealthed when not in use.

16. Quoting Diver

We can speculate all we want on when Jetico will go paid, but if my theory is right the network access issue will get fixed before it goes paid as it has more to do with the underlying engine. The cosmetic stuff will wait for the paid version.

Geez what's going on here....I'm agreeing with Diver again.

You would think they would want all the issues solved before going paid...to
    save on all the hassle of doing it after.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

What they'll probably do is just focus on bug fixes only, then go paid. Then after that, slowly enhance things. Makes sense I guess..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.