Java’s latest security problems: New flaw identified, old one attacked

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...roblems-new-flaw-identified-old-one-attacked/

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

at this rate they should uncover and fix them all soon ;)

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Doesn't look good. :ouch:

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Java has security problems? I don't believe it. ;)

5. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

It'll be taken care of in a Flash...oh wait, that will be for another thread..:D

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once again it needs your permission. Why do all these sites advise you to disable or uninstall Java when you need to run the malware yourself to compromise the system?

8. siljaline

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'm certainly not defending Java. Because it used in so many applications, it is important for computer users to know there may be possible security problems.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_(programming_language)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

11. siljaline

12. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

The screenshot showing the launching of Windows calculator is on Windows XP.

13. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Two More Java Zero Days Found by Polish Research Team:
    http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/two-more-java-zero-days-found-polish-research-team-022513

14. TheKid7

15. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

They don't need your permission, as someone else pointed out. In fact if you have multiple versions of Java installed but you only use 7, there are exploits that can call the older ones.

The reasons everyone is calling for users to disable Java:
    1. because there are numerous Java exploits actively being used right now and millions of people running Java == lots of owned boxes.
    2. because Oracle failed to properly and timely respond to serious security issues for far too long. Previously they took months to address vulnerabilities, and sometimes never addressed them at all. They did pull their collective heads out of their butts recently and have been releasing tons of out-of-band updates, but they have not addressed the fundamental underlying problem (see #4).
    3. Java is an extremely popular target for malware authors because it runs on all platforms.
    4. The Java language is hopelessly broken. There are flaws within the language that will continue to be exploited until very basic changes are made to the way it functions. (source = http://www.security-explorations.com/materials/se-2012-01-report.pdf)

16. wat0114

I'll be a lot more impressed with this 0 day if it can be demonstrated to work on a properly configured Windows 7 machine, especially one utilizing an anti-executable, launching a non-whitelisted file. Heck, even on an XP machine using an anti-executable or SRP.

17. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

It can be mitigated with other controls, sure. But the vast majority of users are not using those controls, therefore the best advice is to remove Java.

And at this point, I would say that the onus is on you: YOU need to demonstrate that the various Java exploits known to be in the wild currently DON'T work on a properly configured machine.

18. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I was about to say... I'd like to see it on a properly configured XP machine too. What happens in that screenshot never happens on my box.

Of course... to me a properly configured machine is one without Java in the first place.

19. wat0114

Probably dead in its tracks with other controls, but of course I'd need to see it happen first.

Well, I'm not so sure I agree, but fwiw I've tried hard through legal means ;)

20. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Oracle should just send their latest version to them for testing before releasing it as an update... would avoid much hassle, misery, and embarrassment.

----
    rich

21. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I suppose we all have our own ideas as to what constitutes a properly configured machine!

Regarding Java, properly configured for me would be white listing the plug-in per site , so that upon encountering a redirection exploit, the code on the redirected web site would not run:

[​IMG]

Properly configured for me would be a firewall to catch those exploits that use the application to connect out to the internet for the malware -- just in case:

[​IMG]

Properly configured would include something to block the payload -- just in case:

java_block.jpg

All above on WinXP SP3, properly configured (as I see it, anyway).

----
    rich

22. siljaline

Another Java zero-day exploit in the wild actively attacking targets
    Article | Also: http://www.zdnet.com/oracle-investigating-after-two-more-java-7-zero-day-flaws-found-7000011965/

23. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

It's just not going to stop. Hence the advice is to ditch Java and pressure any vendors requiring it to use something else.

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

25. TheKid7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.