Java viruses

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Beefcarver, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

Got Java Byte Verify and Java Classloader viruses today. dont know how I got infected. Was bad when I clicked on applications they would not open. also when trying to open and install programs I got an error message saying out of memory. nasty stuff.

2. Was getting between 2 and 8 java trojans or viruses trying to install everyday. After removing Sun Java from the system there has not been even one attempt. That may not be your problem but it bears mention.
    With Sun Java trojans and viruses were having a picnic.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You might read this thread here

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Whereisthebeef,

You don't necessarily need to remove Sun Java. You can execute the Java-Plugin via Control Panel, Open the Control Panel, and then on the Cache tab uncheck Enable Cache. That way, the trojans and virii you get cannot install. This is especially useful if you are uncertain a particular website is safe or not - make the change before you click Go. Of course, when you are at a known trusted website, you can re-enable Caching.

-- Tom

5. Beef/It/Up

Beef/It/Up Guest

TOM, Hi There

Thank you for your kind advice, however, yes, I was awear of what you mentioned an had done so.
    My experience with sun java has convinced me that Sun Java is exceptionally insecure due to java applets not being able to be controled by the User. Applets are dangerous under any circumstances an thje User should have control of enabling or disabling then but thats not the case with Sun Java.
    You are correct in that the trojans and viruses may not install but are there exceptions to that rule........nothing is surprising. The point is that this behavior should not and would not be occuring except for the use of Sun java.
    For many years I was an Open Source fan and user of those products but today any Open Source product that requires the use of Sun Jave I pass on using that product. In the pass I would purchase Star Office but have discontinued doing so now. Sun has no business taking control of people's computers and making decisions for them. If I don 't want to enable java applets thats my choice...an I refuse to give up that freedom. Recently I cleaned a friends kid's computer....outragously infected....
    We, the public were told that Sun Java was safer....safer than what....using M$ java that comes install on older computers w2k, win98, never do I have problems. Sun Java needs to change its attitude and product if it ever wants my business back. Use Sun Java, I can not afford to use Sun Java...its tooooooo insecure!

6. lotuseclat79

Beef/It/Up,

I could be wrong, but as I understand it, Sun Java is not the problem, its the Java applets that are programmed to do nasty things.

In any language, you can program a nasty, but can you detect it, and if you can detect it, can you do anything about it - i.e. disinfect or quarantine it? Well, the better choice is actually to prevent it in the first place.

It's the implementor of the nasty applet that is at fault, not the specifiers of Java, i.e. Sun.

Another factor is the implementor of an implementation of Java. Prime example case is Microsoft who tried to coopt Java into their own product specification that would only interoperate with their own OS/Java variant.

-- Tom

7. beef/it.up

beef/it.up Guest

What you state is true, however, you missed the entire point, which is, with SUN JAVA a person is not able to DISABLE JAVA APPLETS.................heck, even M$ allowed that!

There is no way that allowing JAVA applets to run without any supervision from the User can that be remotely considered safe. If a User decided not to allow java applets to run than thats should be the final word on the subject....java applets should not run.
    No, I am not against the use of java and not oppose to Sun in anyway. But am opposed to Sun making its product the way its made which is to run and install java applets totally without permission. Thats bad!
    Recently there was an exploit of the feature in question an was patched. The patch did not resolve the issue. Applets still install at the Will of someone other than the computer owner.
    Nope I wont be using Sun Java any time soon.

8. beef/it/up

beef/it/up Guest

## It's the implementor of the nasty applet that is at fault, not the specifiers of Java, i.e. Sun ##

Must respectfully disagree on that point. If Sun did not allow the applets to run then the applets could not be exploited.

9. beef/it/up

beef/it/up Guest

Will also respectfully keep an open mind on this subject. But its going to take some tall convincing to change my thoughts about Sun Java.

10. beef/it/up

beef/it/up Guest

TOM

so as you know ...if you post an I don't respond...you are not being ignorred.......have nearly finished the re-format of a computer an wil be shuting down in the very near future.

Have enjoyed meeting you an hope we can share again at another time.

11. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

While I'm not an expert in Java, I believe the options to enable or disable Sun Java are through the browser(s) settings, unless I've misunderstood what you meant by disabling it, beef/it/up? :doubt:

In Opera, under Tools --> Preferences --> Multimedia --> uncheck the box next to "Enable Java" to disable it.

In IE, under Internet Options --> Advanced --> uncheck the box for Java (Sun) - (reboot computer)

I'm sure there must be settings available in other browsers, but the above are the only two I have.

Attached Files:

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Firefox java settings

Attached Files:

13. beef/it/up

beef/it/up Guest

Snapdragin

Thats how it SHOULD be but un-fortunately is not. At least with IE its not. Using IE sun java just ignors the settings in IE. If java applets are set as Disable in IE.....sun java just allows the applets to install anyways. There in is the problem.

Can not comment on firefox or opera since only recently installed firefox an sun java is not on my os to test it.

last night for the very first time when using IE one of those java virus tryed to install but remained in the tempt content folders..... using sun java those darn type of viruses were contantly hitting me...........the fact that one tryed to install without sun java being in the OS kind of took me by surprise.........am trying to duplicate the action but have not succeeded......sure hope the viruses writers have not found a new way to exploit IE

oh Snapdragin, if you have sun java version .o2 installed it needs replacing as its exploitable....move up to version .04

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Would you mind posting a URL to a site where you are having a problem disabling a java applet from loading in IE.

In fact....if you go here with Java disabled....what reaction do you get with your IE browser settings ?

15. Beef/it.up

Beef/it.up Guest

Bubba

you must not have noticed my saying that I no longer have Sun java installed.....so can't offer you a url.......however,

the website you posted.......Had a activeX issue with it...twice it frose the computer.......an had to manually crash it and re-start.......after the second time that was enough so I searched and found a work around.....an can get to that site without any problem.....its (http://www.broadbandreports)

Many of my security programs are not running tonight....just enough to stay safe.....am doing some testing.........

sorry no url to post.....thanks for your reply......imo this is a very serious issue.....as yet it has no been exploit but once......but...who knows

16. hey there!

hey there! Guest

The Snowman!! Hey there guy!! :)

17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Yeah....the website I posted was simply Broadbandreports Whois Java page(www,broadbandreports.com/whois?java=1)....nothing fancy and definetly should not crash someone's unless they have deep issues. It's also hard to check out an accusation that IE ignores Java settings without a URL. Of course if a user does not have Java I do not see how such a claim can be made in the first place.

18. Beef/It/Up

Beef/It/Up Guest

## ....nothing fancy and definetly should not crash someone's unless they have deep issues. ###

You have absolutely no idea what type of security is installed on this computer or how it re-acts to any one thing. To say that a computer has "deep issues" without ever seeing the physical computer is irresponsible.

### It's also hard to check out an accusation that IE ignores Java settings without a URL. ###

BUBBA, I don't recall requesting anyone to check out anything. Its hardly necessary for me to make such a request.

### Of course if a user does not have Java I do not see how such a claim can be made in the first place. ###

Did you even read the post ? Sun Java was removed AFTER being slammed by exploits. Do you seriously think sun java will be re-install because YOU want a url. hardly!

This is such a waste of time.....SUBJECT CLOSED!! NO MORE POSTS BY ME.

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Sure I did....in particular the part where a claim was made that Sun Java ignores IE's settings. If you wish to hide in the sand because you were exploited with your settings....that's your choice....but users of IE need to know when innaccurate statements are made in regards to Sun Java ignores IE's settings.
    Same here....considering you are not willing to provide at least a wee bit of info other than a blanket statement.

20. lotuseclat79

beef/it.up et. al.,

Here is a reasonable Secutiry FAQ on Java and a tool that while not fully developed can handle restricting which applets can run (in a limited context):

Java Security FAQ by Princeton Secure Internet Programming Team
    http://www.cs.princeton.edu/sip/faq/java-faq.php3

Java Filter - allows you to restrict which sites browser accepts applets from
    http://www.cs.princeton.edu/sip/JavaFilter/

-- Tom

21. lotuseclat79

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.