Java update?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rilla927, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Can you install over top of previous install?

Thanks

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Rilla927, yes you can. These days, Java does a better job of uninstalling older versions (you can see the removal process during the installation) than before.

If your OS is Windows 9x, 2k, XP, and/or Vista without UAC, there is also JavaRa, which can be used to remove and install Java. They are working on 64-bit support in a new Beta version: JavaRa 1.16 beta (proceed with caution as it is a Beta!).

3. Rilla927

Thanks JRViejo!! I didn't want to do it before I got a confirmation.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Rilla927, you're welcome! Take care.

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

The main reason un-installing first is no longer necessary is that Sun has changed the default installation process. Up until maybe 5 or 6 updates back, installation went into a separate new folder for each new "update" (actually a full working version) and the folders and files for previous updates remained untouched, including any vulnerabilities.

Now all new updates go into the same existing folder, so that new versions of files over-write the older ones.

6. Rilla927

You would think they would have done that from the beginning.

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

+1
    Sun's updating has always been sloppy ... to this day (if I'm not mistaken), when a new update becomes available, you'll probably learn about it at a 3rd party forum (like here, or avast) long before the "check for updates" thing gives any results.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that shifting to use of a common folder was a case of Sun finally responding to years of complaints from users about the old system which left the vulnerabilities still on your computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.