JAVA - update?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SG1, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

For 1st time - suddenly could not update Java other day; tried 4-5 times. Error msg. was about alleged service running even tho' terminated - not the case, as app did uninstall old ver., and Add/Remove Programs list no Java versions whatsoever as being present. But, now, still get same msg. and seems I can't install it, at all. Ideas?

Thanks, SG1 (Pat)

2. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Delete your temporary files - internet and system - then try again. That solution has worked for me many times with inexplicable issues such as yours.

Let us know what happens.

3. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Google for Javara to completely remove your previous versions and reinstall.;)

4. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Will try your info shortly, see if it works yet. Thanks, guys.

SG1 (Pat)

5. Bensec

Bensec Registered Member

It seemed that I too is having some issues with Java. Each time after being upgraded, java's program folder grows bigger than before. I have to remove the folder with previous version number manually. I thought it works this way. But according to the OP's description. It seems that his Java can uninstall the previous versions automatically. Why not mine, any idea?

6. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Some random thoughts...

I've found JavaRa to be of little use/help. It certainly did not clean up all Java pieces when I tried it earlier this year. Maybe the latest version is better in this regard?

Java JRE from Version 6 Update 10 or 11 and higher (I can't remember the initial build @ the moment) had/has the ability to remove Java JRE Version 6 Update 10 or 11 or higher. Any versions below are still orphaned and must be uninstalled manually.

I never allow Java to update itself. I always download the full manual installer and run it directly from the PC. I'm definitely not saying this is the only way to do it. But I look after 3 or 4 dozen PCs and have never had an installation issue following manual only updates.

7. horn

horn Registered Member

Run Windows Installer Clean Up and delete all JAVA residues, then install the last JAVA version.
    This will work for sure.:)

8. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I tried uninstalling and was stopped with a "cannot find" type error message, I tried the usual cleanup procedures ans still no go .

I tried CCleaner to uninstall and still the same error message.

Finally I ran MBAM and finally it allowed the download to be upgraded. I was infected with Trojans and deleted them.

Now I can go away for the weekend and keep the grand kids happy with all my apps updated.

9. Mister_Al

Mister_Al Registered Member

I always remove my old java versions with Revo Uninstaller before I install the latest version and I don't have any problems with my installation.

Alan

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I was told recently that v.16 of Java was available; it is if you know where to look, but java.com still reports v.15 as being the latest. I have v.15 and when I try to update through the Java Control Panel, it tells me I have the latest.

I wish Sun would improve their updating methodology; v.16 is on the sun.com site, but not ported through to java.com.

11. Mister_Al

Mister_Al Registered Member

Found mine at FileHippo.

http://www.filehippo.com/

Alan

12. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I know he has, and if users didn't know where to look before, they do now so many thanks to Roddy. :)

I knew of the location within the sun.com website where one can obtain v.16 before I saw his post.

That isn't my point though. A lot of users won't know of the sun.com download area, and will automatically go to java.com or use the updater in the Java Control Panel.

The really funny thing I find is if you go to http://www.sun.com and click on the Java icon on the left-hand side then hit Download, it takes you to http://www.java.com/en/download, which currently displays v.15.

The two should be in synch unless there's a reason why they haven't updated the java.com site with the newer version. I just attempted to download from java.com, and got the message:

14. GlobalForce

DSL touched on the differences. According to what I've read, sixteen doesn't cover any security issue not addressed by fifteen.

15. GlobalForce

16. Bensec

Bensec Registered Member

thanks, no wonder, it happens that way.

17. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Yeah, turned out not all older Java was uninstalled by the newer ver. which supposedly occurs, as I understood it. Made sure all was gone, installed newer ver. just fine, then.

Thanks, SG1 (Pat)

18. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It's ok really, no worries. :)

I was merely pointing out some users may get confused when being told a newer version is available, but using methods as I described does not push that newer version. Using update notifiers like SUMo for example tells users of the newer version available from sun.com, but as I explained the main page link on there takes you to java.com which in turn pushes v.15.

As it happens, I now have v.16 myself. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.