Java Update Pop up

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WilliamP, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

On my wife's computer, Win. 7 64 bit gets a pop up saying to update to Java SE 11.5.2.13. I cannot find anything about SE 11. What is it talking about?

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I don't have Java installed, but I think you can check here to find out what version you got: www.java.com/verify/

3. WilliamP

There are so many web sites that will not function unless you have Java installed I don't see how you get by without it.

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

It's been quite a bit beyond a year since I uninstalled it. I could probably try to pin down the exact date, but I'm too lazy busy to do that. Suffice it to say, I'm using the internet all day everyday and not having Java has never been a problem.

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I consider "getting rid of Java for good" as the first step that I took to leave infections behind. The second step was to clean up my browsers of other plugins that are unnecessary in my case use. When I started getting rid of the plugins that I had in Firefox, I had about 13 of them. At the time, I thought they all came with the browser. But soon afterward, when I learned that none actually comes preinstalled with Firefox and I had no use for most of them, I got rid of them. And now, in W7, since I don't have any need for any plugins, I carry none. In XP, I watch videos so in that computer, I have Flash but nothing else.

Bo

6. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

WilliamP, it might be a virus or a spyware/ad-ware that is trying to trick you into installing another software under the guise of Java. I recommend you manually uninstall all versions of Java from your PC, go to the official Java website and manually download and install the latest version of Java, which is v8 right now. Then after doing this if you still receive an update popup, that means you have a virus or a spyware/ad-ware installed on the PC that is tricking you to download more ad-wares/spywares.

7. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Maybe you meant JavaScript, which is not the same as Java.

8. WilliamP

I'm not sure what I am talking about.. All I know is that I get a pop up that says ( Your old Java Platform SE software should be updated to version 11.5.2.13.)

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Maybe this?
    How to Get Rid of Java Update Notifications

10. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

WilliamP, there is no Java SE 11, the latest version right now is v8. This is the reason I suggested you might be getting conned by a spyware. See a list of all java versions here on wikipedia

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

WilliamP, Raza0007 is giving you the best advice here.

12. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yeah, Java is a pain ~ Snipped as per TOS ~. One of the most vulnerable software for the last few years. I had to use it because my banking online system had required Java. Fortunately my bank revamped banking system that is no longer dependent on Java. Upon uninstallation of Java I didn't encounter any website which would require Java.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014
  13. vojta

vojta Registered Member

I uninstalled Java some years ago when I realized that I could only see the Java icon in the system tray when it was updating: Java was of no use for me.

And yes, people frequently make the mistake of thinking that Java and Javascript are the same thing or somewhat related. I used to believe that too. The Javascript engine in your browser won't be affected when you uninstall Java. Go ahead and get rid of it if you never use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.