Java Runtime Environment: useful or not?

Discussion in 'polls' started by stefan_waelti, May 22, 2009.

?

Do you use JRE while surfing?

1. Yes, it is useful or even necessary for everyday surf

17 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. I sometime have to use it on specific sites, for instance...

30 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. It happened to be necessary once or twice long ago, it was on...

18 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. I never have to use it or didn't even know it existed

10 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. stefan_waelti

stefan_waelti Registered Member

Hi

Do you have any use of SUN's Java Runtime Environment, or can you surf all the way without ever encountering any site requiring this technology?

Personally, I have it installed, but I surf without it being activated. I have it 'just in case'... But I have to admit I never activate it since I never encounter sites which use Java applets for display in my regular Web use.

What are your experiences with JRE? Please feel free to give examples of sites that do require it.

Thanks

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  2. progress

progress Guest

3. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Java can be very useful, both as a programming language and for image handling. A weather radar site I used had a java loop that displayed up to 12 hours of radar images. Now they use a flash based radar that isn't half as good. The NWS radar loops still use java. I also have several applications written in java that work very well. Several online AVs that don't use ActiveX use java instead.

Java isn't used as much on websites as it used to be, even though it is better than the format that's replacing it. The bigger sites started switching to flash based imagery shortly after Sun Microsystems started supporting Open Source. The whole thing looks like a backlash against Sun by the rest of the industry powers in an attempt to lock users into proprietary formats like flash.

Security experts used to complain about how easy it was to use java maliciously. Now they're finding that flash can be just as bad.

4. Dark_Hanzo

Dark_Hanzo Registered Member

I barely visit any java-based websites in my daily surfing, but I definitely need java for MATLAB which I use almost everyday.

5. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

never need it

6. demonon

demonon Guest

I needed it when I still played Runescape, but that was a long time ago.
    Nowadays I have Java and plugins disabled by default.

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I allways used to have the newest version until I have found out, that I actually do not need it and having it installed might be a potential risk.

8. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Similar to .NET Framework....it depends on what you run on your computer and what you do on a regular basis. Some software requires it, so you need it. Most people probably don't use software that requires it, or don't go to any sites that require it.

I use it several times a week to VPN into some clients that use Juniper SSL VPN appliances, which is a this VPN client that runs from within your web browser utilizing Java...launching from their portal website.

Many of my clients do online payroll of other accounting software which runs through a browser...requiring Java.

Some online browser based games run on it.

Depends what you do online. It's not really a feature more websites will have just for graphics...such as Flash or Shockwave...it's more for applications.

9. guest

guest Guest

I use it not only for browsing: some of my installed software requires JRE. Examples: OpenOffice.org and FrostWire.

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Since it's yet another security worry for me, I no longer install it on machines. Sites rarely use it so I don't see why I should worry. :)

11. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

sometimes .
    There are some programs based on Java. Thats y i used it.
    Now i uninstalled Java and those programs and found alternatives.:D

12. icr

icr Registered Member

Never required to use JRE:cautious:

13. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I surf the web with JRE but deactivate Java and Javascript when I use a proxy or Tor, Java and Javascript can be used to identify you.

14. culla

culla Registered Member

i made a portable version of java when i want i can turn it on but generally i don't use it

15. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Sometimes, maybe once or twice in a month. Though I leave it on for default.

16. progress

progress Guest

It's not necessary any more ... :)

17. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Maybe it is not necessary, but it maybe desirable.

18. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

" It happened to be necessary once or twice long ago, it was on.. " it was for a software - I can't remember while - that needed the JRE. I don't use it now.

19. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Voted on:
    "I sometime have to use it on specific sites, for instance..."

20. ratwing

ratwing Guest

I thank it is probably useful,but my Sandboxie sandbox used for daily browsing,is set up to only allow Firefox.exe to run/access the internet.

And I do not want to add Java to the start/run access internet list.

So in order to avoid browser freezes, that required me to kill Firefox via task manager,when I entered Java rich sites,I disabled plug-in:Java (TM) platform
    SE 6 U20 6.0.200.2.

So,I guess it is disabled,but I choose not to uninstall it,although the dreck of updating,along with disabling all the crap services,add-ons,etc that goes with updating,makes me tempted.

In trade off mode,
    rat

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.