Java issues - updater and cache malware

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I thought there was a thread that described how to set Java to check daily for updates as opposed to the default every 30 days. I have Windows 7 Ultimate so if anyone knows how I can set java to check daily please post it.

Also, I noticed that I am getting positive malware warnings when I do an on demand scan in my user/appdata/locallow/sun/java/deployment/cache/6.0/(folder)

These are removed when I empty temp files, though.

I unticked java where the option is to "keep temporary files on my computer"

I guess I'm wondering what the effects of not allowing the temp files to stay on my computer? And will this strategy keep these malwares from getting on my computer, or just be removed at reboot? Is there some way to keep them from being on my computer in the first place?

2. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Control Panel/Java. Then the 'Update' tab. There's a drop-down menu with choices.

There are no effects to disabling the caching of Java files, that I'm aware of. Meaning you can set the cache size to 'zero', if you like.

The way to keep infected Java files off the computer is not visit whatever sites you're now visiting that require the JRE and then provide you with malicious files and code.
    Or use a real-time AV program that detects them.
    Or determine whether or not you're simply being given 'false-positive' alerts.

3. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

If Windows 7 is like Vista, you'll have to run the Java Control Panel as an administrator to get the change to stick, even if click Apply.

Program Files>Java>jre6>bin>Right click javacpl.exe and Run as administrator.

I don't know if that's what you're referring to but it was discussed in another thread. :)

4. acr1965

Yes, that's it thanks. I wonder if at every update the settings revert to default- check for updates every 30 days?

5. acr1965

Those choices will not stay unless you use the run as admin option. Otherwise they revert to default.

6. ABee

ABee Registered Member

That's pretty much of a given on any Windows system for any system-wide setting.
    In XP (couldn't say offhand about the others), the Java 'Update' tab is not even shown unless you're running with Admin. privileges.

7. acr1965

Right, which is why I asked originally about a way for that not to happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.