Java Console?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dermot7, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

When I recently installed JRE 6.0.21 it also installed Java console as an extension in Firefox, which hasn't happened previously. Well I'm unsure what it does, and if it's necessary should you enable Java in FF. Anyway, would like to get rid of it, but "uninstall" button is "greyed-out", so could anyone, please, tell me the name of this file and I'll delete it manually if this is advisable. Thanks very
    much. :)

2. Dermot7

Ok, got rid of the blighter...via jv16 PT, once I found name of file to look for. Some info if anyone wants to know about uninstalling Java console extension:

http://ffextensionguru.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/uninstalling-java-console-addon/

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24109806-Question-about-Java-and-Firefox

3. Dermot7

4. ABee

ABee Registered Member

A couple of JRE updates ago, the console was moved from its own stand-alone GUI into the Firefox extensions list.
    Removing the extension is fine, so long as you realize you'll no longer have access to the console and the info it provides.

Mine stays.
    While I very rarely have any need or desire to access it, should I want to access it, I want it to be there.
    YMMV.

Why Sun-Java felt the need to move it I couldn't say. But I will note that the JRE updater files, which were previously located within the Java Program Files folder, were also moved-- into Program Files/Common Files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.