"Java / Byte Verify" fround with AVG Free

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Mord, Jun 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mord

Mord Registered Member

After doing a virus scan with Grisoft AVG free, i found a virus.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\SUN\JAVA\Deployment\CACHE\JAVAPI\V1.0\JAR\loaderadv107.jar-841e2da-1c95f9c4.zip:\Counter.cla Virus identified Java/ByteVerify

It cant remove it or do anything with it and calls it a "Java / ByteVerify" virus. Please help im not sure what to do.

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Mord,

Read and follow instructions as posted over here. Keep us posted ;)

regards.

paul

3. Mord

Mord Registered Member

Thanks for that link, it worked a treat and now im virus free :D

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

That's good news :)

regards.

paul

5. bbmime

bbmime Guest

I too have used the free AVG Anti Virus software - it said I had Java/Byte Verify. I tried everything posted here (e.g. remove cache under 'Java' folder; remove on-line/off-line internet content; remove cookies) - all to no avail. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

6. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

7. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

see the file path here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\SUN\JAVA

byte verify can only infect a pc with microsofts java vm enabled. the file in suns java folder is just a harmless archive, although it does contain the virus code, but it is neutered against suns java
    http://java.com/en/download/help/cache_virus.jsp

8. dosser

dosser Registered Member

My AVG free edition found VERIFY, and removed it after a scan. Perhaps updating AVG will now remove this trojan ??

9. Big E

Big E Guest

Hello,
    The exact problem but I'm running Windows 98SE. Help Somebody PLEASE!!
    Also running ZoneAlarm Firewall. Thanks!!!

10. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

11. Muerte Roja

Muerte Roja Registered Member

I also run Windows 98 SE and Zone Alarm, and when I go to the Java plugin page, click cache, the only option I get is "Clear JAR Cache". Is there any other way to get rid of it?

12. Ren? ter Schiphors

Ren? ter Schiphors Registered Member

Paul Wilders/ Illuka,

Many thanks for the advice posted on your site concerning : "Java / Byte Verify" fround with AVG Free.

The virus message has puzzled me for months, since I knew there was no virus on my system. Have it solved now, many thanks again.

Regards, René.

13. Muerte Roja

Muerte Roja Registered Member

Does anyone know the registry key for it? Will it go away if I delete the whole Java Plugin?

I checked Symantec and they don't have any information on removal, and all the online scans won't work for me.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  14. Wizzard

Wizzard Guest

If Anyone Gets This Virus & Needs Help Email Me. I Had It & Got It Out Of My System Easy, Running XP My Email Is >[I]Remove[/I]<@frontiernet.net

Email address removed to prevent harvesting (late) Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2004
  15. nigelbread

nigelbread Guest

worked for me thanks!
    happy and virus free new year

16. Kydwyn

Kydwyn Registered Member

I just used a DOS batch file to surgically remove the 3 offending files from a friends computer, following the path shown in the AVG applet. She's suffered no ill effects and subsequent scans are clean.

Kydwyn

17. Star

Star Registered Member

hi i am new here . i need help. i also have this java byte verify on my computer . am running windows xp. i have all updates have done just about everything to get rid of this. it wont go away. i to would like to know if i should remove sun java from my computer? it says it is a security hole in IE. i have all of this installed on computer: AVG,Adaware se, adware away(to try to remove) spybot search and destroy. noting seems to help at all.i am still new to computer so dont know to much as of yet. i need step by step instructions i dont mean to be so needy but everyone in here has alot of knowledge and i need some of what you all have.please will you help me to get rid of this. all scans show this in results area but nothing takes it away. in advance i thank you very much.

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Star

Start here.

http://java.com/en/download/help/cache_virus.jsp

If using Sun Java, go to control panel, java plug in, set your cache to zero.

In Internet Explorer, tools, internet options, general, delete your temporary internet files.

In Firefox, tools, options, privacy, cache, set to zero.

Turn off system restore, restart your computer, and rescan with antivirus.

Turn on system restore after scanning.

More info: Symantec

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  19. Star

Star Registered Member

thank you ronjor. i will try this and let you know what happens. thanks a million for the fast reply.
    star

20. Star

Star Registered Member

hi just wanted to tahnk you ronjor for all your help. i did what you suggested and also followed some advice on how to remove the 1004 key from registry. i belive it all worked i done a scan and says all clear now. thank god. it was a nightmare. i thank you again for your help. i know where to come to if i need help again. this is a great forum. big smile!!!!!!!!! star

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thanks for the feedback Star. :) Come to Wilders often for tips on how to keep your computer free of malware.

22. ?danjo4u

?danjo4u Guest

how do i get ride of this virus?

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

24. brown1313

brown1313 Guest

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread. I contracted that java byte virus and it was slowly taking over the computer and I had no idea what to do. I searched google and found your site and followed your advice and I think (hope) it has been removed. According to the housecall scan it has been. Is there a security patch I should download, I am running XP pro. Again thanks so much for your help.

25. billy jack

billy jack Registered Member

Hi everyone, I am new and this is my 1st post. I had the java/byte thing also and by reading the posts was able to delete it. Thanks, however I found out that I could not download anything. When I try, it runs for a bit and then even though it looks like it is working, it is not. I am running xp/w sp2-update on auto avg free and spybot. msn wants to launch every 5-7 min and I just thought it was a bother untill avg caught it. Found out then about the download thing when trying get something to take care of it. I would be pleased with any help and if I posted this in the wrong forum just deleat it. Now could be a good time to format as my game-ing has come to a fast crawl. Thank again P.S I also get dso exploit when I run spybot...every time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.