Java Applets & Clipbd Trojans?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by qwertyz, Mar 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qwertyz

qwertyz Registered Member

Hello to all :)

I use e-gold.com and other sites that have virtual keyboards for entering passwords. I read at another forum that virtual keyboards are just java applets and these applets have been hacked to record and capture passwords. Can someone please confirm and elaborate on this? How do you beat these java trojans?

If I use copy and paste to enter passwords, are there clipboard trojans that can capture all my daily clipboard activities and covertly email them back to a hacker? How do you defeat a clipboard trojan?

I am a newbie to this area of security. I also invest and bank online a lot. I do not want to get hacked, and my accounts stolen. I use a firewall, and antivirus. Please advise me on the safer ways to enter password and login information.

I have also heard of 'password managers'. Are they any good? Do they store your passwords encrypted on your computer? Can password managers be easily hacked also?

Thanks for any help! qwertyz o_O :cool:

2. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Java applets can be extremely dangerous.
    An applet will bypass many security programs but not much is ever said on that subject..for some reason. In fact, its been no less than a couple of years since last I seen someone ask questions about java applets.
    Can not answer some of your questions specifically so will just say my own trend regarding applets.
    First I use an anti-virus program that monitors java applets for hostle applets. I wont suggest any particular anti-virus program because I just don't do that....
    On line banking: completely out of the question for me.....not acceptable.
    Credit card use: Completely un-acceptable
    Investing online: Use a "safe" computer that is not used on the internet for any other reasons.....even a very old computer..put the investment website login in the trusted zone then lock tight all the other zones....of course use a firewall, anti-virus, trogan scanner and any useful security you can locate....not spycrap.....
    I wont say much else.....there will be people telling you how safe and secure using a credit card on the internet is....they have a right to their opinion...an I have a right to mine. These days a person can purchase throw-away credit cards which is limited to the amount it was purchased for....not sure I am saying that correctly..point is you wont get hammered if it gets stolen.

As for the keyboard issue...if need be find another way of doing that type of business...its your money..your privacy..your personal security.....will you compromise that to please some website

3. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Some programs discussed at this forun that may interest you:

Spyblaster MRU Blaster

also, just because the word encrypt is used does not mean its of any value...there are differant strenghts........PGP is a good program but has a learning curve..worth learning.....
    LEARN HOW TO CLEAN YOUR COMPUTER...

4. qwertyz

qwertyz Registered Member

Thanks Shunned! :D

Those were some great answers and very helpful.

Thanks again for replying! :cool: :)

5. shunned

shunned Guest

You are most welcome....

don"t forget to "set" the IE settings....dis-able "scripting of java applets" in every zone except the trusted zone.........

6. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Forgot to tell you.......Internet Explorer DOES have a SANDBOX in which java can be run.......it may not be the veriest best but does work............
    Don't know if I will be back here again..so good luck...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.