Japanese turn to gods to ward off virus's and hackers

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by bigc73542, Jan 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

http://www.securitynewsportal.com/cgi-bin/cgi-script/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=JanDD%2edb&command=viewone&id=48&op=t

Japanese IT businesses turn to Gods to ward off viruses, hackers
    Should we tell them it isn't going to work...
    01-07-2004 00:11:41 AM CST -- from channelnewsasia.com

The new year in Japan is a time for fresh starts and spiritual cleansing for not only the residents of Tokyo, but also their computers. At the Kanda Myojin shrine in downtown Tokyo, IT businesses and the nearby electronic shops association of Akihabara have gathered to purify their computers and protect them from common electronic evils. For most, that meant warding off computer viruses and hackers. "I work in software development and we faced many threats such as computer viruses and hackers, and if our computers breakdown we can't work anymore. So that is why it's important to me to pray for a year of safe business," said 30-year old Katsutoshi Honma whose computer was blessed according to the ancient Shinto traditions.

You will bow and pray to me
    three times a day.... or else.   He, like many others, feel even the best anti-viral software and security measures are not enough to beat what has quickly become the bane of life with a computer, after an e-mail spam. Japan, like many other industrialized nations, was hit badly by a plethora of viruses in 2003 such as the Slammer and Blaster viruses. For many computer users and sellers, it's matter of good business to safeguard themselves in any way possible.

"We've organised these ceremonies here at the Kanda Myojin to bless for one year those computers and those who do business with computers," said Yumi Yamaga, who represented the electronic retail shop owners of Akihabara. In that very district, they also organised the distribution of good luck charms in the hope that consumers would feel comfortable buying one or two laptops

Click here to read the original story in channelnewsasia.com   
    Uh... my opinion about Japan just got set backwards by about 200 years. Or maybe this is a Japanese backlash against Cluley's neverending Press Releases. It does remind me of a story last year where some enterprising chap was able to sell 100,000 troll dolls to ward off hackers and viruses. Now I am wondering what the Japanese idea of 'safety devices' is on the cars that country produces... a 'good luck troll' packed in every airbag ? I wonder if we should warn them that their troll gods are not as powerful as a good firewall and anti-virus software...

2. Sumire

Sumire Registered Member

@bigc73542

Thank you for your post.It is really interesting article especially for Japanese people. I think who wrote this article didn't know anything about Japan correctly. I think most Japanese people who read this article will also giggle. I know well Kanda Myojin Shrine and Akihabara because I was living in downtown Tokyo during my college age, but I haven't prayed for the health of my computer to gods or purified my computers to protect them from common electronic threats, either.

Though I can understand about this ceremony. According to the Japanese traditional religion's(Shinto) way of thinking, gods(souls) are dwelling in all the things on the earth. For example, mountains,trees,lakes,houses,spoons,swords,etc... computer is no exception. This way of thinking is one of the good reasons that Japanese people value an old thing. Today's many Japanese people still believe in such way of thinking. There is no wonder that a few people hold such a ceremony.

Reading this article,I remembered when I bought the first computer(Windows98se).It was freeze after freeze. Computer is annoying especially for novice computer users, either system troubles or security related(viruses or hackers). When I executed some programs, my first computer was suddenly freezed, telling me "Since unjust dispensation is performed, a computer is rebooted."(I haven't used english version of Windows, this message may be wrong.) Oh my gods, I didn't do anything wrong except clicking some icons...Oh gods,please come to help me...maybe I prayed to gods at that time. Haven't you wanted to pray to gods when computer was troubled? I sometimes want to pray to gods when my computer is really unsolved troubled.

With regard to computer security, I personally use NAV2002 and ZoneAlarm as a main security software.(I'm sorry to have betrayed writer's expectation.)If viruses or hackers are compared to devils or evil monsters, my Norton Anti Virus and Zone Alarm are like cross against vampire or silver bullet against wolf man.Thank you Symantec and ZoneLabs, maybe you are my heroes.

As for Japanese car security, please don't worry about it.I can promise, as an employee of one of Japanese car makers, which is not made based on ancient Shinto traditions(I think Shinto has at least more than 1000 years of histry), but based on modern high scientific technologies.

Best Regards

P.S
    I know myself well about my english is terribly bad. Please forgive me for my bad english post.

3. GoonMan

GoonMan Registered Member

Sumire Welcome to Wilders Security Forum. :D

Your English is fine. :D

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Sumire the first thing I want to say is Welcome to wilders. And the second thing I want to say is I didn't post this for the humor I really did post it because it is interesting. And bye the way your english is just fine.I hope you find the forum helpful. and don't hesitate to jump into and give a reply if you can help someone else. :)

5. Sumire

Sumire Registered Member

@GoonMan and bigc73542

Thank you for your warm welcomes. :)
    Though I'm a almost Read Only Member, I've studied a lot from wilders.org since I was interested in computer security. What most make me visit this site is the people who visit this site, they are very knowledgeable,informative,kind,and peaceful. I really like this atmosphere.

thanks again
    Best Regards

6. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Weird, now this is the first time in my whole life i have heard about people who turn to the gods to ward off computer viruses and hackers!? o_O

7. Nick

Nick Registered Member

I was going to try to explain this more, but Sumire did better than I would have. I'll only add that the word "spirits" would be more acurate than using "gods". The spirit of the tree, the spirit of the mountain, the spirit of the computer, etc. More of a natural force than some kind of religeous thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.