IxQuick weirdness ???

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I came across something really weird with IxQuick.com. I searched for the term maxthon, and the first search result (the official link for the web browser) doesn't offer an option to go to the page through IxQuick proxy? It's the first time I experience this behavior... o_O

If I search for maxthon.com, then I get the chance to access through the proxy.

StartPage, Ixquick's sister, does offer to access it using their proxy, as it does for any other link.

Is anyone aware of some partnership between IxQuick and other companies, so that there's no proxy link if one searches for a term, rather than domain name? :doubt:

Attached Files:

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Hello moonblood.

Did you search from the ixquick homepage.?

I use startpage and i typed in maxthon via the homepage and the results page is different from typing in a second tab window.

I have noticed startpage only offers to view by proxy when the search is typed in the homepage.

3. m00nbl00d

No, I didn't. I searched for the address bar, because I added IxQuick to Chromium, but I tried with the homepage and I get the same result as the previous image shows.

All is fine with StartPage here, though (both address bar and home page). It's only IxQuick that doesn't provide the proxy for that one result. :blink:

Since I started using IxQuick (can't even recall when I started using it), this is the first time I see this happening.

4. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

It's more than just that one...I was curious about this and experimented, and found same type of non-proxy results. Could not find any info about it in their FAQ or Help section, however. https://ixquick.com/proxy/eng/help.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  5. m00nbl00d

Interesting!

I searched for chrome, and the proxy result appears, but if I search for google chrome, then I get one non-proxy result for -http://chrome.blogspot.com (I wasn't familiar with this domain name, though. I was only familiar with -http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/ )

-https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/ has a proxy link, though.

Out of curiousity, I searched for bitdefender, and I also got a non-proxy result. I tried other security vendors such as AVG and avast, but these two got no non-proxy results. Symantec revealed one non-proxy result.

6. Dermot7

Yes, I got the blogspot result also for Chrome, which you wouldn't expect. Was wondering earlier, and sorry if this is wrong, but could it be manipulated results from some SEO trickery, so as the top search result is coming up as a non-proxy one because the search was not done very precisely by using an exact domain name, perchance?

7. m00nbl00d

Maybe... I know SEO can be used to make a website rank higher and all that, and also be used by cybercriminals, but not sure if they could make the proxy link not be there? :doubt:

I also get such result for truecrypt,microsoft,intel. I suppose there are many others, though.

Something I noticed is that it seems the search term needs to be pretty much precise/unique. For instance, microsoft is a pretty unique term. If I search for amd, I get no non-proxy result, but searching for advanced micro devices gives me a non-proxy result. The result for AMD is the first one in both situations, though.

8. Dermot7

9. niki

niki Registered Member

I use Ixquick as the homepage in Firefox. Tested Ixquick in the search engine in Firefox addressbar and also in the Homepage. Both show proxy when typing in Maxton. The first result that showed up was Wikipedia.

PS: I tried both the HTTP and HTTPS

10. m00nbl00d

I don't have Firefox installed right now, but I have tried it with IE10, and I get the same results as I get with Chromium.

11. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Using the latest version of Firefox

Untitled.png

12. m00nbl00d

I'm not sure if someone paid attention to this thread, but now I see the proxy link. :D

13. Dermot7

Correct, can confirm :thumb:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.