I've got a big, big problem with your diamondCS port explorer 1.8!!! pleaze help.

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by skywalker_luc, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skywalker_luc

skywalker_luc Registered Member

hello,
    at first: do not be angry on me because my english is not so good! thois is because of i'm a german!
    i read about your very famous program: diamond CS port exporer 1.8.0.0
    everywhere stands that your program is the best to open and to close ports trojans and other spyware etc. uses. i installed it and don't know what to do with this porgram. i allready have used the tools and they are good to spy on others. :D
    you shouls know that i am a gamer on some games in the internet but mostly i play counter-strike. and after i installed diamondCS port explorer 1.8 i wanted to start or i wanted to join a game in the internet. but there comes always the message:
    >start
    WARNING: UDP_opensocket: port: 27015
    socket: NO ERRORWARNING:
    UDP_OpenSocket: port: 27005 socket: NO ERRORWARNING:
    UDP_OpenSocket: port: -1 socket: NO ERRORWARNING:
    UDP_OpenSocket: port: 27025 socket: NO ERRORWarning! Couldn't allocate
    multicast IP-Port.
    NET Ports: server: 27015, client: 27005

Could not get TCP/IP address, TCP/IP disabled
    >end

and i know that servers on which counter-strike is played often use the following ports:

so everybody who could know, why this problem came up, must help me please!
    i don't know why or what could be the reason of this problem but i (really) know that diamond cs caused this problem. anyway, it must have blocked soem ports and now half-life (counter-strike) cannot open these ports!

pleazzeeee help me!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

skywalker_luc

2. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders, Skywalker_luc.

I have a hard time believing that PE caused this problem. I don't think PE blocks ports - it just monitors them. Maybe a firewall configuration problem??

3. skywalker_luc

nat first: thank you for replying so fast! :)
    but: i REALLY KNOW that my firewall doesn't have anytthing to do with that because this firewall (norton personal firewall 2004) i have since last year and a problem like this NEVER came up.
    however, i tried to start counter-strike without the firewall or with firewall "deaktivated". and the same porbelm came up. and another reason is: this bugmessage which i posted in the thread didn't came when i haven't had installed DiamondCS Port Explorer!
    :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hello skywalker.

That does seem to be a mystery. Port Explorer itself, does just that... "Explores" the connections, nothing else, UNLESS you tell it to Kill the Process/connection.

However, that does not help you in this situation.

Can you fire up the game again, open PE, and check connections, see what is happening with it.

At least it will tell you if a connection has been 'Established' or not via PE.

TAS

5. Dazed_and_Confused

I'm really sorry your having these problems. But if it were a problem with Port Explorer, and I doubt it is, you should see the problem disappear when PE is closed. Are you sure you have not installed any new software recently? If your confident PE is causing the problem, uninstall it. You can always reinstall if after you confirm that is not the problem. I think the error messages your receiving and your PE install are just conincidences.

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hm hello and welcome to the forum, you see we didn't beat you for your language as more people are no native english based. I think the dutch should win the world and have everybody speak dutch, much easier for us. :D

Anyway: it is not true if you close Port Explorer that it would be compeltely closed then as the *.dll deep in windows is running and doing it's job, we only don't see the results till we open the GUI.

Sooooooooooo in your firewall allow Port Explorer to do whatever it likes to do, like connecting to the internet to start with. There is no need to have it running as a server, just connecting to internet should be enough.

I'm sure you will have options and settings in your firewall to allow certain programs on internet and maybe to allow them to use certain ports.
    So if opossible, allow Port Explorer the ports you need for those games sites, but in fact i would allow Port Explorer all ports to be able to see all connections on your system.

And: i'm not sure if you can in the evaliation version, but make sure if you click a connection to such a game site you did not block sending/receiving with that rightclick menu. But you might like to enable spying on the socket or process to see it working properly.

Is it only alarming on those game sites/ports or in more occasions?

7. Dazed_and_Confused

Sorry about that, Jooske. :eek: What do these .dll files do when the GUI is closed? I don't see anything being added to the pelog.txt file (that would be a nice addition for the next version).

8. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I will just confirm that you cannot block sending and receiving in the evaluation version. But since it was brought up, with that ability enabled it seems to me that Port Explorer has some capabilities that are not readily available with my firewall. for example blocking port 135 is something i don't think i can do with my firewall. since i have only the evaluation of PE i have to guess it can be done. So...Port explorer is a better firewall than my firewall?

-HandsOff

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

The DCSws2.dll is keeping up with the port-processmapping, but not logging it as you noticed; you can see this as all running applications which connect to the outside are displayed with their own individual startup time and not with the time Port Explorer GUI was started.
    Think with some monitor it should show up somewhere as a running dll (faber toys, taskInfo, etc)

Port Explorer is no firewall, nor an outside firewall, although it seems to come close and to have lots of additions to firewalls.
    What you also might like is the throtting of bandwidth for an application, etc, and what i notice on older slower systems like older win9x series it helps freeing space almost immediately from sockets which were closed, while windows itself has the habit to keep them far too long.

Blocking sockets depends on: if an application is using them you can, port 135 as a netstat-socket will be difficult. Is that rpcss (or what is the exact name?) running on it? shoould be possible then or you can block sending your data out and only receive, etc.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Jooske

How do you see evidence of port explorer doing anything when it is shutdown. With ZA I can shutdown the gui, and see the underlying service. Likewise with Process Guard, but I don't see anything with Port Explorer.

Pete

11. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Port Explorer has a dll (dcsws2.dll) which is part of the LSP chain. Whenever an app which uses winsocks tries to begin network activity, Winsock loads the DLLs which are in the chain into that process. So this DLL allows Port Explorer to monitor every network application without using many resources at all.

12. Tony H

Tony H Registered Member

13. skywalker_luc

hello....sorry but i haven't had much time the last days. but now it's weekend and i have much time... :D :D :D :D
    so:
    - to -->Tassie_Devils<--!!!
    i "thought" taht port explorer just detects the opened or used ports...but i don't really think it....
    does it not really close a port when it seemed to be a dangerous using like a trojan or etc.?!
    but when i start counter-strike, go to the desktop and start port explorer than nothing appears for this game...so i think the ports this game is using are allready closed so the game cannot use them?!

14. skywalker_luc

- to -->Dazed_and_Confused<--!!!

i'm not "really" absolutely shure taht i haven't installed any programs the same time i installed port exporer but i think so.
    andf i will uninstall it if i don't find a solution. i really want to use port exporer but it must work together with my other programs. :p

15. skywalker_luc

- to-->Jooske<--!!!

sorry but i don't really understand what you mean with "game-sites"o_Oo_O?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

16. skywalker_luc

- to -->Peter2150<--!!!

please tell me: what does "ZA" stands foro_O
    and what is that.....and why do you need to close the GUI with process guard?
    o_O

17. skywalker_luc

- to -->Jason_DiamondCS<--!!!

but is it possible that some programs go around this anddoes not beeing detected of port explorero_O

18. skywalker_luc

- to -->Tony H<--!!!

hi...please tell me: whats a "tcp stack error"o_O
    and what do you mean with "file checker"o_O o_O
    why should i clean the cookies and the temo folder?

please tel me: whtas a "defrag"?
    o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O
    and what has directx to do with all that?
    i don't really understand this.,....^^

19. skywalker_luc

but is there nobody who can answer my question? ? ? ?
    how can i clean up this error or WHAT DOES IT MEAN?? (i posted it in the first post!)
    :doubt:
    :'(

20. Dazed_and_Confused

Skywalker_luc - Hello again. Sorry to see your still struggling. Again, I really fail to believe the problem is with PE. Here is what I would do - Uninstall PE. After doing so, double-check to ensure all files are gone including the PE directory. Restart your PC. Try your game. Report back here with results.

By the way - answers to earlier questions you had.

* ZA stands for Zone Alarm, a firewall (used to be a good one, but now I have doubts).
    * Defrag is short for defragmenting your hard drive.

Good luck! ;)

21. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi again, i'll go through yuour various postings, hope this answers all and thorougly.

A firewall closes the ports for outbound and inbound traffic, and if you start a game over internet, you should allow that port it is using.
    Say for instance your program or game X is using port Y, your firewall should allow for that program to use that port; you might need more ports, different per program / game / messenger, whatever.
    In a firewall those settings per program can be defined.
    ZoneAlarm was mentioned for instance, it has a whole list of programs on your system and sites you visit, where you for each can tell what is allowed and what not. Ports, cookies, popups, banners advertisement, animation, etc; you can add such sites to the trusted zone both in the firewall and in your browser.
    With gaming sites (sites where you go to to play your online games) i would not add to the trusted zone just like that as exactly those could have lots of dangerous stuff going on, so lower only that much as necessary to be able to play your online games.

Putting sites in your trusted zone means you have in the browser settings the security protection on a lower level to allow them more.
    In the firewall you have another opportunity to allow or block more things.

You have the Norton Personal Firewall you say, so you should look for the kind of settings i just described.
    If you use Port Explorer, your firewall will ask you if Port Explorer is allowed for access to internet and of course you alow that so it can do it's work properly.

I am not aware of problems with the Norton firewall, but it could have been necessary to uninstall the norton firewall and first install Port Explorer and after that Norton again.
    But leave that at this moment, first determine what more can be the matter.

Do you have the XP internal firewall active as well? Did that ever conflict anywhere with the Norton firewall or did you have any other problems with connections or functionallity?
    Could look at that as well.

what does Port Explorer here? Showing you the connections and ports in use and that kind of info, but it is not blocking anything at all, unless you make it blocking things yourself.

Dangerous things like trojans will most of time show up as hidden connections, default in red text. This does not mean all red text is wrong, but it needs attention to know what it is.

Your firewall might show up in red for instance, or programs you started and minimised to systray, etc. So you should look which program is which.
    And the moment you click on their systray icon they will become black again.

A suspicious or trojan process you can spy on with the socket spy and kill it , block sending / receiving to it, can look which application is using it, etc. If you don't know or not trust that application kill it.
    You can see the full pathname what and where it is, so your anti-virus/ant-trojan scanners should pick it up too if it is nasty.
    Port Explorer shows you the nasty in action, almost real time.

Openign and closing ports you should do in your firewall.

At the moment of installing programs like Port Explorer it is very important as much as possible --especially all scanners and their resident protection and maybe yuour norton forewall are closed at athat time. After the install and reboot you can start them up again of course.

Port Explorer works fine with almost every other program, only a configuation setting in the mcafee firewall is not clear yet, but you're not using that so no problems there.

A game-site, the sites you visit to play games.

ProcessGuard was mentioned as an example. If you want to keep the GUIs open it's up to you, but not necessary.

ZA, ZoneAlarm, another firewall. Which i used here in the description for settings with programs and websites, as i know this firewall best and it's a rather popular one. I'm not familiar with your Norton firewall so i can't say nothing about special settings or where to find them exactly --needs another user of that norton firewall to help you with that.

You ask if programs are going around Port Explorer and don't show up at all? Not very likely. It is no process explorer like the process list in TDS (Trojan Defence Suite, also of DiamondCS is you don't have it yet) or in the windows task manager which should show all runnign rocesses, also those which have no connection to internet at all. But Port Explorer shows you those with the internet connections, intrusions, hackers, etc (if there woudl be)
    If you open your email client for instance and click on some mail with advertisement you will see them lots of times call home to get that info on your screen. That is traffic.
    So your games should show up as applications and connections too.

The practicle part of Tony's remark is to clean out caches, (Temporary Internet Files) windows\temp and possible other temp folders on your system, cookies folders,
    The further recommendation is to defragging your harddisc. Would do that after cleansing out all recyclebins and the folders mentioned. You might like to close scanners during that process, so defrag can move all files around.

Did you reboot your system after installing Port Explorer? You should have for it to function properly.

DirectX has to do with all your activex and moving and whatever, you might like to use your google(www.google.com) and search some info about it on internet to get some ideas.

You ask if nobody can answer your question, but you got a whole series of answers which have to do with it and things you can all try.
    Maybe people waited if you would come with more to anser them all at a time.
    Now you got it again in about book form :)

I think it has to do with the firewall which needs to be told Port Explorer is allowed to run and access internet.

BTW: did you reboot after installing Port Explorer? I'm sure i asked above but just to make sure you did not forget.

To avoid questions: Daisey, ZoneAlarm was not used in this story, Sky uses the Norton Personal Firewall.
    Every firewall can have problems after some upgrades, or when dealing with new advancements in the trojan world, but generally spoken several versions of ZoneAlarm are rather nice and at least block lots of what they are intended for.

Hope after the reboot and maybe other actions like described you can play your online games again properly and see it all happening in Port Explorer.

So time for my coffee and croissants!

22. skywalker_luc

hello,
    at first i must telol you: I HAVEN'T REBOOTED MY COMPUTER AFTER INSATLLING PE!!!!
    my internet connection does not work the time after insatlling PE....that was the reason why i rebooted my computer after some time...but then the connnection works again...but counter strike didn't work propewrly (i told you).
    ^
    i must tell for everyboidy what counter strike (CS) is:
    it is a game what you must install like every other programs. it IS NOT palyed on a site in the internet....you must search for servers where you can play on. so then there comes up something like a "commando_O" (i really don't know the word ) :doubt:
    i mean something like dos or when you go to the "start" in windows and type on the window execute (?) "cmd"!
    something like this is opened in the game and then you can see what it is doing and type some other commands like "retry" to connect to the server or "quit" the game...
    then there also comes the errors and my error is posted in the first one.

so for answering your question: i do not restart my computer after insatlling PE....and i do not play online games (where you must visit a site on the internet); i just play games where you must find a good server and then connect to it.

and if you have another question, just say it.
    but iu think taht you all thougt the wrong one....i think i meaned something otherlike than you all. CS IS NOT A GAME WHEREYOU MUST VISIT A SITE IN THE INTERENT!!!
    so....i think now everybody has understand it. :p :p :p :p :p :p

23. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Internet server, all the same, does not make any difference, you get an error message, the guys have told you what to do first,
    i have answered every question you had, so do the things advised,
    i told you it is necessary after isntalling Port Explorer to reboot to function, if you don't follow any of the advices nor want to reboot and servers are no internet i don't know how to help you.
    Did you try on another server somewhere else from another person?
    Did you check your Norton firewall settings?
    Look here, english is also not my first language but if you don't know the words say it in german, there are pwople on the forum who can read that too.

24. Dazed_and_Confused

Jooske - Hi.

I realize this. Peter referred to ZA in one of his posts. Sky then asked what ZA stood for. I simply answered for him. Hope I didn't confuse anyone.

25. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

No you didn't Daisey, thought a moment your remark had to do with the recent update problems of it :)
    Let's see what Sky finds out about the configuration, could really have been a bad server on the other side.

Here's one of the official sites for a description.
    http://www.counter-strike.net/ No promotion intended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.