Itunes windows Vista and ESS4.0

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by johnth, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnth

johnth Registered Member

ok, seing as though i cant find the answer on google or a search on here seems to bring up some relevent information but nothing that can help me.
    with the new iphone 3.0.1 software released yesterday i have tried to download the new iphone software and received an "network timeout error"
    i have had this problem on ESS3.0 but with a fix from http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN760 i managed to fix this. i narrowed it down to eset due to if i diasble all features of ESS it works fine. as it stands i have entered the exclusions from http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&actp=LIST_RECENT&id=SOLN560 with all the location of iphone firmware and itunes locations as i did with 3.0. however the "From the Advanced Setup tree, click Antivirus and antispyware → Web access protection → HTTP → Web browsers." is missing on the vista version. if someone can help its much appreciated. i have also tried "learning mode" which gives me the same result.

2. thewiz

thewiz Registered Member

Hey,

I've experienced a timeout on downloads as well which appear to be caused by the web access protection component (at least it is on mine) Vista 32-bit SP2.

Disabling Web access protection (at least temporarily) will probably help with the download timeout.
    Another work-around I've found is to add an asterisk (*) under the "List of addresses excluded from filtering" in the category Web access protection -> HTTP, HTTPS -> Address management.

On 2 machines this at least allows the files to download fully (although there seems to be a long delay once it reaches 99% - which isn't apparent when web access protection is completely disabled). I suspect this is probably ESS scanning the file as it finishes...

Admittedly, not ideal, as you're essentially excluding all web addresses from filtering - but it stops any downloads being cut-short and/or timed out.

ESS on Windows XP allows you to specify the level of filtering in the "Web browsers" section (called local proxying).
    However (as you say) ESS on Vista/7/2008 doesn't have the "web browsers" section... This is because ESET is using Microsoft's Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) to do the filtering at the network and application levels. With this in use, you cannot specify a specific level of filtering per application or web browser.

There's an excerpt on some of ESET's KB articles...
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2132

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  3. johnth

johnth Registered Member

would it be possible instead of just adding an asterix to the web access protection to add the server(s) of apple to this if they can be found. seems a little iritating to leave the filtering down to windows (not the best choice in my opinion) it would also seem that you cannot add/remove programs from this type of filtering, unless someone can find anything different, i am welcome to suggestions, also on a secondary note it would seem ESET have made an error with their enviroment variables in using "C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\Music\iTunes\*.*" when this should be %username%

4. thewiz

thewiz Registered Member

Hi johnth,

If you can find the apple update servers, certainly worth a shot. I entered an asterisk in mine, simply because it saves me having to add exceptions to each and every site it tend to download files from. But I too am open to suggestions in ways to get ESS from appearing to timeout my downloads seconds before they complete...

Agree on the WFP front - was quite suprised that this takes away some of the control from ESS in terms of specifying which apps are filtered and which aren't.
    (That was one of my favourite features). In some (admittedly small) way, I've heard it may actually help by tieing into Windows Filtering Plaform, as it makes firewall software more stable and resilient to any major OS updates, like Service Packs etc which could every now and again cause software companies problems when a particular patch or bugfix ruins some function or causes undesired affects with their own filtering drivers etc.

I guess it's something that will get improved over time (e.g. Windows 7, program updates to ESS.... who knows).

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.