It's official: Windows 7 is THE best Windows version ever!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I have a Chromebook, although it's an inexpensive Asus and nothing special. Battery life is superb, mine's constantly either on or in sleep mode as I never switch it off. There is a beta function that can be enabled to use Linux tools, but I think it's still a bit experimental.

It's still not what I'd call a fully functioning OS, but it has its uses. I think Chromebooks appeal as a viable alternative to a tablet. I don't think the desktop Chrome OS is as successful.

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

How does Google Docs handle M$ Office formats? I imagine not perfectly. When I upload rtf files to GD I have to reformat them. After that I can download them as PDF & they're perfectly formatted.

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I have Google Docs but seldom use it. Just for curiosity, I made a copy of a DOCX file written in WPS Office, several thousand words and uploaded it. This is just a formatted story, no pictures or anything else. It was all out of format in google. Indentations were wrong, line spacing off, spacing between paragraphs wrong. If Google Docs can't manage word processing format correctly, I can only imagine what it would do to a Powerpoint file.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

TY I thought as much. M$ should be sued for these proprietary formats I think. There should be uniform conformity.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

For personal use, alternative office suites are mostly fine, but for the busines environment, where professionalism in presentations is not only expected, but usually required, the alternative suites typically don't make the cut, especially when larger businesses usually provide their employees with MS Office on their COE devices.

Not surprised. The example I cited above and several other times over the years I've tried to open an MS Office-created document in an alternative or vise-versa has resulted in broken formatting.

6. Daveski17

I had no real problems professionally. Mostly LibO Impress worked fine and Writer documents can be saved in a format that can be opened with Word. LibO (and its predecessor OO) 'made the cut' for me.

Much as I like AbiWord though, I think it's dangerously close to becoming abandonware. If you use it just as a personal WP it's great. I'm just glad it's finally working well on Ubuntu again.

7. Willy2

Willy2 Registered Member

I still use Windows 7 and I am in no hurry to swith to Windows 10. Still like it A LOT.

8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've briefly used a couple of Chromebooks and was very impressed due to the speed. While I do not plan to switch from Windows anytime soon, they seem like a good option for those who mainly use their systems for browsing the web.

9. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Reference the Chromebooks, there's something called Crossover that is supposed to allow MS Office and other brands of Windows software to run on it. Not sure how it works. I read about it someplace.

10. Daveski17

I can see the appeal of a stripped down Linux OS designed to be mainly used in the cloud. Which was Google's original intention I believe. I'm not sure what happened to the Chromebox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromebox

11. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Whether Windows 7 is considered the best version ever is highly debatable.

So far WXP followed by W7 have had the longest runtime for a Windows OS.

It's been a joke for sometime that every other version of Windows is horrible.
    Windows ME, Vista and w8 seem to be the most disliked versions of Windows.

Of course W10 has had it's share of complaints and dislikes from bloatware to privacy
    issues, problematic updates & the frequency along with amount, new features, apps
    and functionality that have turned users off or those who are on another OS not
    desiring to migrate to W10.

Up to user to decide do they stick with Windows or try Apple or Linux. Some users
    might run a combination or all 3.

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

W10 has been hammered down peoples throats more than any OS in history. And people are psychologically apt to stand by their "choice".

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Not everyone. Who in their right mind would trust a proven spy machine where the user has no recourse/control of their own personal/machine logged driven data.

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

In their right mind debatable. But hundreds of millions are standing by their "choice" so as not to be wrong or change.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.